Sign in to follow this  
Patrik Strom

Woldvagner the Elder, Red Box Games

Woldvagner the Elder from Red Box Games. I have stared to delve into my RBG collection. I'm moderately happy with how this figure turned out. I really need to work on the eyes for future RBG miniatures. I feel that something might be missing but I can't put my finger on it. 

post-6964-0-16520100-1440442838_thumb.jpg

post-6964-0-75537400-1440442839_thumb.jpg

post-6964-0-84992500-1440442840.jpg

• Like 18

Looks good!

Yeah, you need to work on the eyes a bit more, but I do know that Tre does some very tiny eyes so it's much easier said than done.

One other thing I'd have done differently is adding some more color to that cloak, give it some more variations. Such as white, off-white, gray, brown, and black.

Take a look at this as a real life example. 

just_the_wolf_cloak_2_by_lupagreenwolf-d

• Like 5

Looking really nice, that skins looks really good.

Ya you could literally go over the cloak with a dry brush off off-white and add another later really easily. And you dont have to do it over the whole thing, just some of the upper sections.

Edited by Arc 724
  • Like 2

Thanks!

Looks good!

Yeah, you need to work on the eyes a bit more, but I do know that Tre does some very tiny eyes so it's much easier said than done.

One other thing I'd have done differently is adding some more color to that cloak, give it some more variations. Such as white, off-white, gray, brown, and black.

Take a look at this as a real life example. 

just_the_wolf_cloak_2_by_lupagreenwolf-d

Ouch, that's a level higher than I'm comfortable with right now. I'm actually holding off on painting "Fenris" from Red Box Games because I'm not brave enough to tackle shifting fur colors. And about the eyes I think I'm going to have to move away from my favorite "black line with two dots" and make the eye sockets a few shades darker than the rest of the skin and try to put some tiny white and perhaps a bit of black in there. Dunno if I can manage it but I think it'll produce a better result.

Looking really nice, that skins looks really good.

Ya you could literally go over the cloak with a dry brush off off-white and add another later really easily. And you dont have to do it over the whole thing, just some of the upper sections.

Yeah, I could have taken one or two extra swipes of drybrush on the cloak.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By ChanSeal
      "Bliss"
      Needed a civilian type for a game, and this was the best I find in my lead mountain.
      Dunno why, but I keep seeing him as one of those beer-making monks carrying a keg on his back.
      So I painted him as one who just "sampled" the merchandise and really liked the sample.
      The nose and cheeks were more "ruddy" IRL but doesn't show up well in the pictures.
      There is a lightish line at the top of the belly where I tried to repair the paint job after accidently flicking some dark wash on it.
      The line isn't really visible IRL but clearly seen in the pictures.

Thanks for looking.

*Edit
      And if something looked odd with my montage, it's because the second picture got flipped when I was joining the four of them together. Just noticed this.

• By Metalchaos
      Hi everyone, I recently had the pleasure of realizing that I inadvertently bought the same Gnoll model twice. So, I decided to convert two of them to create a little variety in my hunting party. Read the text under each picture to have more detail. This post was purposely written as a guide for any who would like to try their hands at converting Reaper Bones model or any other models.

I used two 77236 Bloodmane the Gnoll Warrior sculpted by Tre Manor, 77235 Toghra the Gnoll Leader sculpted by Jason Wiebe and 14056 Weapon Pack 1 sculpted by Tim Kaufman.

I first separated the dagger handle from the body. Just a simple notch did the trick.

I then cut the trunk along the belt.

Again, on the other side of the model, I cut the body following the belt as a guide.

I have this hollow feeling in my stomach...

Same thing for Toghra, cut the body along the belt line.

I drilled a hole in Toghra’s lower section and cut a small nail to pin the two parts together.

I drilled a hole in Bloodmane’s upper body section and tested the pin in.

I glued the pin in the leg part. I’m using Gorilla Super Glue.

I then removed the handaxe cutting the handle just above the fist. I keep it for later use.

The tricky part is to drill a hole in straight line through the fist. I had to use a small drill bit, smaller than the new weapon handle not to tear the plastic.

I used a slightly bigger drill bit to get the hole a little larger.

After cleaning the mold line on the new weapon, I cut the handle in halves in order to keep the pommel intact.

I had to use a file to reduce the diameter of the handle.

Also, I removed two spikes from the shield to alter its aspect from the one the other Gnoll Worrior is wearing.

Finally, I’m using a piece of wooden stick to adjust the posture of the model on its base.

I often use this simple trick to level my models. I use super glue to fix the parts together.

I’m using 40mm round base for the Gnoll. These models are large and even if there in game space size is 25mm, I personally prefer larger base to have more room for decoration.

That’s it, I’ll need to fill the gap above the belt and along the shoulder.

I’ll also be using Greenstuff to fill the gap and complete the base before cleaning everything with soft soap and water prior to painting.

I added some notches on the cutting edge of the original Gnoll’s plastic axe. I’ll be using it as a battlefield wreck weapon to decorate the base.

• By EvilJames
      Finished up one of my first bones 4 minis.  The unnamed big brother to the bones 3 barbarian.

He's a simple table top job, though I probably could have shaded a few details more. Like his bracelet.

I used an ink wash too shade the fur of his cloak and loin cloth. It worked great except they are now both very shiny. I could tone them down with some matte sealer, bit I think I'm just going to declare them magical.

Someone's grumpy today.

here he is with his unfinished little brother. Little brother's weapons ate a bit mor floppy unfortunately. They'll likely take a few hot water baths to fix.

• By 72moonglum
      Hi guys,
      so finished this one a few days ago and he's been sent to his final home, a commission figure I was asked to do.  The figure itself is pretty neat, I'd never painted any Rackham figures before so it was something fun and different.  I think I can see a bit the joy of commissions for other people because you never know what you are going to receive. Anyhow, here he is, hope you enjoy him!

• By Maledrakh
      To protect any unsuspecting, innocent children from Harmful Subject Matter, the bared mammarial gland look-alike is hidden behind the links:

Nearly Naked Model 1

Nearly Naked Model 2

Nearly Naked Model 3

Tyrea Bronzelocks, Barbarian
      Another win for female body armour protecting just the important bits! Or bit in this case. The right mammary and shoulder being her only vunerable points?
      Dat a$$ tho! Might this mini by any chance be sculpted by Kev White? Why, yes. Yes it is. Kev certainly has a knack for sculpting sexy people. Single nipple and all.

77374 Tyrea Bronzelocks, Barbarian
      Reaper Miniatures, Bones 2 KS 2013
      Sculpted by Kev White
      Bonesium PVC
      30mm round lipped base
  • Who's Online   25 Members, 2 Anonymous, 52 Guests (See full list)