headband mounted magnifier

Gabbi

Hi, since age impacts sight, I was thinking on getting a headband mounted magnifier, so I'm here to ask for opinions (if someone tried or use them) and suggestions.

I made aquick search and found lots of models and producers. Since it's a sight related tool, I would get a good one to not impact my eyes, but I would like to try with a cheaper one just to check if the thing is for me or not. Then eventually get a neater model.

Any suggestions on brands, or options? single lens or binocular? magnifying amount?

Thanks in advance :)

• Like 4

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for replies. Unfortunately the SE MH1047L Illuminated Multi-Power LED Head Magnifier seems available only from USA, and I live in Italy, so shipping and eventual custom charges can be high. But I've found a very similar one (to the point I think is a rebranded one) on ebay from UK. Maybe I'll give it a try.

I already wear glasses, so the ones from pharmacy aren't an option :)

I have a headband with four lenses, possible to use two lenses at the same time.

I bought it on Ebay for like 20 euros.

And I must say I'm very happy with it. I bought it a few years ago, my eyes got older and I wasn't able to see the tiny details anymore.

Now I can.

Go for it, you won't regret it,.

• Like 2

Thanks for replies. Unfortunately the SE MH1047L Illuminated Multi-Power LED Head Magnifier seems available only from USA, and I live in Italy, so shipping and eventual custom charges can be high. But I've found a very similar one (to the point I think is a rebranded one) on ebay from UK. Maybe I'll give it a try.

I already wear glasses, so the ones from pharmacy aren't an option :)

I am not able to source those either, and the headband I bought was too uncomfortable to use (kept pressing my temples and giving me headaches. But last time I went to the doctor I showed him a mini and he gave me a special prescription for glasses that correct my close-vision especially, and have a hard focus about 20cm from my head. It does not "magnify" a lot, or nothing perhaps, but I can see sharply for painting and they have made a huge difference! 

I might add I regularly use glasses but my day-to-day glasses are more for driving and general sight, since I have issues with both long and close eyesight. But I got expensive sturdy glass for everyday, and cheap ones for mini painting, and I love them! I just need not to forget to switch back, or anything away from me is a blur!

• Like 4

I use one & quite honestly, at my age, I could not paint minis accurately without it! It's great!

I bought mine from Amazon a short while back for about £10 so it was quite cheap. It is lightweight, has 8 levels of magnification (over a set of single & binocular plastic lenses) & a white LED light. I don't use the light as it is not really powerful enough, plus I prefer to work by daylight.

I use it for hours on end with no ill effects or fatigue.

I would recommend you go for the binocular lens type.

Hope this helps!

• Like 2

The SE MH1047L Illuminated Multi-Power LED Head Magnifier that was already linked was going to be the one I was going to reccomend, but I understand that it may be expensive for you to import.

What I can say, instead, is that it improved my painting by leaps and bounds, and I cannot imagine even trying to paint without one anymore.

Get one. You will use it, you will love it and your eyes will thank you.

• Like 1

I'm always curious to know how strong a magnification I need. The weaker magnifications (2x) will be further away from me (10 in), and the strongest magnifications will be pretty close to my face (3.5x at 4 in).

So is there a sweet spot? Especially for someone who wears eyeglasses.

It's not always the most convenient, but I use a stand-mounted adjustable magnifying glass with little clips.  Has the advantage of freeing up my hands for extra steadiness.  I do have to stay pretty much still though, a the glass doesn't move with me.  I have a headbanded not-expensive jeweler's loupe too...for when I really can't sit still enough while painting, or can't find the right position.