Sign in to follow this  
ultrasquid

80003: Ellen Stone, Cowgirl, (Bones version of 50003) FACE-OFF

Edit: Since this is now complete, here are before and after photos, so those who don't want to read through the whole process can see the results:

before: post-12393-0-01166300-1440580170.jpg after: post-12393-0-25950400-1443471254.jpg

If you want to see exactly how I got from one to the other, read on!

------------

The Bones KS 1 version of "Ellen Stone, Cowgirl" had a badly deformed face. I'll attempt to repair it.

It should have looked like this, as the metal version does:

50003.jpg

But what I got, even after working a bit to build up the nose and do a liner wash, is something so bad my camera can't even autofocus on it:

post-12393-0-67654400-1440558632.jpg

Edited by ultrasquid
  • Like 9

As it came, there was barely an indication of eyes, nose, and mouth; quite unlike the striking features of the metal version.

I had a hard enough time pounding a nose onto her face with Magic Sculpt (which is all I have to work with right now). How could I go about forming her whole face?

edit: I'm not an experienced sculptor. Perhaps a good way to go about this is to find another figure with a good face, make a push-mold off of it, and glue the duplicate on to Ellen. Sound like a plan?

Edited by ultrasquid
  • Like 1

Not sure how well it will stick to bonesium but I would use green stuff epoxy putty. In my opinion, it's really hard to sculpt something new but fairly easy to build on something else. Even better when you have a model to go by.

• Like 1

Everything I've heard about Magic Sculpt compares it to Apoxie Sculpt, and, well, I think you'd have a hard time with that even if you were an experienced sculptor. It's fairly large grained and prone to crumbling. Also, it cures hard whilst Bones are pliable, meaning it's prone to crumbling or peeling off.

IMO, you'd be better served with one of the better sculpting putties, like Green Stuff or Procreate. If you have no intention of getting into sculpting or conversions, you could buy the small strip of the tape green stuff (split the blue and yellow halves, store them separately, and cut off the cured part where they were joined. Lousy packaging.) and try that.

If you really don't want to do much sculpting and converting, and you want to do push molds, look at two-part silicone putties.

I had this issue too.

Used a tiny drop of superglue to form a new nose for Kyra the Iconic Cleric.

Ellen will get the same treatment.

Although greenstuffing a bandana and make her a bandit is also tempting.

• Like 2

I finally got my camera to behave and got some better shots. Still not good enough but you can see what I'm dealing with better:

post-12393-0-01166300-1440580170.jpgpost-12393-0-35600100-1440580185.jpgpost-12393-0-47842500-1440580206.jpg

And here are two figures I've chosen for my push-mold face transplant experiment:

post-12393-0-57801100-1440580289.jpgpost-12393-0-63927500-1440580303.jpg

There is another I'd like to try but I'll only go there once I have success with one of the others. Honestly that elf's face is way too big for this, but it's a piece I don't care about much so I won't be too sad if its ruined.

I will need an epoxy that sets softer than Magic Sculpt. Probably will need to splurge and get some Green Stuff. For something so small, I can hardly see any need to go with silicone RTV.

Edited by ultrasquid
  • Like 5

Not sure how well it will stick to bonesium but I would use green stuff epoxy putty. In my opinion, it's really hard to sculpt something new but fairly easy to build on something else. Even better when you have a model to go by.

Green Stuff sticks to Bones just fine.

• Like 3

I just painted mine gray and called her Alien Stone, ET Cowgirl...

• Like 7

I did mine as "Alien Stone" as well ( http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/58989-jordan-peacock-jan-mar-2014/#entry834720).  Mine was blue, rather than grey.  Also, truth be told, the detail wasn't half bad.  There was enough of a bump for the nose that I probably could have just painted her up normally and just considered it "anime-style" -- but it wasn't as obvious when I was dealing with the bare plastic (as the original Reaper Bones plastic seemed to have something of a soap-like shallow translucence effect that made it a little harder to see the finer surface details until I'd applied some sort of base coat).

If I ever end up with a second "no-nose" Ellen Stone, I figure I could paint it up normally, if I just put a little more care into shading the face and don't rely upon a wash to bring out the shape.  Or, if it turns out to be resistant to such effects ... hey, I could have a female undead gunslinger to go with my posse of Savage Worlds Deadlands undead gunslingers I've already been accumulating.

All that said, I find the idea of a "face transplant" with green-stuff to be a fascinating approach to dealing with the issue.  :D

• Like 5

I just remembered that I saw a mold-making material at my FLGS that seems intended for this sort of purpose. I can't remember what it's called, but I know what it looks like. Time to head to the store and see if it's still there.

• Like 1

I want to take (her) face... off. Eyes, nose, skin, teeth. It's coming off.

I think you're thinking of Magic Mold. It's basically the same.kind of stuff athletic mouthguards are made from...boil a bit, press against the surface you want to copy, let cool. Bam! Your very own Castor Troy.

• Like 3

I want to take (her) face... off. Eyes, nose, skin, teeth. It's coming off.

I think you're thinking of Magic Mold. It's basically the same.kind of stuff athletic mouthguards are made from...boil a bit, press against the surface you want to copy, let cool. Bam! Your very own Castor Troy.

The product at the local store is called InstaMold (but they were out of stock, so it's on back-order), but is likely a similar material. I happen to have some mouthguards I can sacrifice, and some lo-melt hot-glue sticks. I'll give them a try as substitutes and see what works.

• Like 1

First attempt at making a push mold using the Elf into lo-temp hot melt glue. I have photos but I haven't uploaded them from my camera yet. [done]

Since the figures I'm using all have some sort of paint or primer already, I brushed their surfaces with very thin coat of gloss acrylic medium.

post-12393-0-29418900-1440716430.jpgpost-12393-0-96948800-1440716456.jpg

I boiled a mug of water in the microwave, and dropped about a 1/2" chunk of glue stick in.

As I waited for that to soften, I coated the elf in mineral oil as a mold-release agent. This was much messier than expected and I'll probably switch to vaseline on the next attempt.

post-12393-0-61765600-1440716498.jpgpost-12393-0-68522000-1440716528.jpg

I extracted the glue blob from the water with my claw tool and placed it on top of the elf, both laying on a sheet of baking parchment. This just kept drooping and sliding around, so I put the glue back in the hot water.

When the glue softened again I gathered it up with a sculpting tool and arranged it in a wad on the parchment paper. I pressed the oiled elf's face into the glue and held it there for about 30 seconds.

The elf released easily from the glue. The glue had hardened but was still warm, so I cooled it further under cold tap water.

post-12393-0-45166200-1440716586.jpg

I mixed a small blob of Magic Sculpt, and pressed it into the impression in the glue. At this moment, I'm still waiting for it to harden sufficiently to be removed.

Edited by ultrasquid
  • Like 3

OK the first try didn't work as well as I hoped. I think it's on account of having too much oil, and also not planting the elf's face straight down. Another figure might yield better results.

post-12393-0-76788200-1440716718.jpg

Edited by ultrasquid
  • Like 3