Sign in to follow this  
osugambit

Berserk Bust

So I decided to take a little break from Cthulhu for a while.  

Started working on a new bust this morning.  I find one of the ways I push myself to improve is by trying to recreate other peoples amazing paint jobs.  Arbal's Berserk Bust is my primary inspiration for this paint job, but sometimes I will take bits and pieces of other's work as well.    Sometimes I start and then inspiration will hit and I will take off in my own direction, but doing things this way forces me to do and try techniques that I might not have done before.  If trying to emulate others is looked down upon though, let me know.  

post-12052-0-44775500-1440616803_thumb.jpg I started by blocking in some of the basic colors,

post-12052-0-06575200-1440617082_thumb.jpg and then adding in some shading and tinting.  

And thats what I accomplished before lunch.

*edited to rotate pictures 

Edited by osugambit
  • Like 13

Thanks, I will try to get him posted in the group challenge.  I have to prepare a little for a fantasy football draft this weekend, so I don't know if I will get any more painting done until next week.  

• Like 2

Ok,  it has been a while but I finally got back to painting some today!  working on the shield, going for a TMM approach to the metal bits, will still take that further but wanted to get a pic up today since it has been a while.  Also did a lot with the wood and weathering.

Thanks for looking!  Comments and critiques are always welcome.

post-12052-0-61089800-1442262347_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Me too. like where this is going ( also shamelessly taking notes.)

Edited by Xherman1964
  • Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Dan S
      Apologies that this one isn't Reaper, but I am super stoked with how it turned out and really wanted to share.

I recently started experimenting with glazing, an old and popular technique I have been aware of for years but had never really given much thought to or attempted.  It was like unlocking an ancient magic, I cant believe the difference such a subtle technique has made to my miniatures.  After achieving some promising results on a batch of halflings I recently painted, I decided to experiment some more on a slightly larger model, a 3D printed bust I'd picked up on Ebay (I believe it is by a company called Tytantroll Miniatures).  

Anyway I just wanted to share.  Glazing has been a revelation to me, and it just goes to show that it sometimes pays to step away from your comfort zone and try new things.

• By outsiderminiatures
      Quick paint job on this fun little bust! 

Painted entirely with Pro Acryl paints from Monument Hobbies

• By Lostraven
      I hope this is ok as it is outside the fantasy/sci-fi realm but this is what I've been working on while taking a break from the Bones 4 core set. This is a 1/10 bust from Young Miniatures sculpted by Young B. Song, Templar Knight YH1837.

• By SamuraiJack
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ivanmata/the-mechanic?ref=discovery_category_newest

Story
      This bust is "The Mechanic" a robot mechanic in a post-apocalyptic world.
      Is a high quality resine figure (limited edition) Scale 1/10
      The copies are ready, so the shipment will be immediate once the project is finished
      Thanks to the backers of this campaign, is happening and will be my second miniature :-)
      The approximate shipping costs are:
      Spain: 6€
      Europe: 12€
      USA: 15€
      Rest of america:  15€
      Asia: 15€
      Oceania: 15€
      Africa: 15€
    • By GlenP
      On top of the Sherman Jumbo, I have a new project. This is Frozen Ninja 3D's resin bust of a cloaked gal holding a small flaming dragon. I picked it up ReaperCon last fall.

There are four parts: a base, a robed torsos, a hooded head, and a pair of arms holding the dragon. Over the casting was good, but there were some issues with the resin sheaving (splitting off in layers) in the arms and the underside of the torso. These were sanded down, the given a layer of putty, then further sanded down. You can see the putty in the pics.

I also hollowed out the sleeves and a portion of the hood. These were filled in almost to the opening. I used a Dremel tool and ball cutters to hollow them out and tried to match the inside with the exterior folds.

One unique (to me) thing is the base; there is a two-leve' base with some symbols on it, and small stone house built on top of that. The roof structure is built into the torso's back. It sure beats the usual brass rod...

Pics are where I'm at so far.

Qs and Cs welcomed.

• Who's Online   25 Members, 0 Anonymous, 34 Guests (See full list)