Generic Vehicle Stats

SparksMurphey

I don't suppose anyone with some artistic skills might be willing to sketch up what some of these converted pickups etc might look like? I'm tempted to see if I can find a source for reasonably-priced mini trucks etc of the right scale, and then convert them for this. I think I can do some half-way decent sculpting / conversion, but I need a reference to work from... I don't seem to have the knack to just imagine it.

Lack of imagination would possibly make it look more authentic. Less thought out and more spur of the moment. Just keep adding things until it looks good enough.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't suppose anyone with some artistic skills might be willing to sketch up what some of these converted pickups etc might look like? I'm tempted to see if I can find a source for reasonably-priced mini trucks etc of the right scale, and then convert them for this. I think I can do some half-way decent sculpting / conversion, but I need a reference to work from... I don't seem to have the knack to just imagine it. 

PLEASE! Wow that would be cool. I know sparks is AMAZING with that stuff.

Finding appropriately-sized trucks for a reasonable cost is proving problematic. Then again, finding something as simple as brass rod has proven problematic (as in, I can't find anything below 1/8" anywhere I've thought to look in town)...

Attempting to sculpt my own truck might be on the agenda for the weekend... ::): 

• Like 1

You can find N-Scale and 1:150th scale stuff pretty inexpensively at aliexpress. I haven't seen any trucks so far, but lots of lots of n-scale vehicles in lots of 20 or more for $10-20.

ETA: Still haven't come across any trucks at aliexpress, but I did just find a lot of 30 1:160 scale buses for less than $30. Lots of minivans, too.

GHQ and CinC have some trucks in pewter - but they're pricy - $5-$15 for a single vehicle.

If they come to your town, you might try hitting up a model railroad show. Lot's of vendors, and sometimes some good prices on things like N-Scale vehicles.

Edited by kristof65
  • Like 2

try searching "N SCALE PICKUP TRUCKS RESIN KIT" on ebay.  these are pretty much exactly what you're looking for, minus some easily added weaponry.  Actually there are a lot of killer deals on n-scale goodness on ebay right now.

EDIT:  I had a question about the OP, what is a "technical" vehicle?

Edited by Girot
  • Like 1

• Reaper User

Technical (vehicle)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A technical is a type of improvised fighting vehicle, typically a civilian or military non-combat vehicle, modified to provide an offensive capability similar to a military gun truck. It is usually an open-backed civilian pickup truck or four-wheel drive vehicle mounting a machine gun, light anti-aircraft gun, anti-tank weapon, or other support weapon.

The term technical describing such a vehicle originated in Somalia in the early 1990s. Barred from bringing in private security, non-governmental organizations hired local gunmen to protect their personnel, using money defined as "technical assistance grants". Eventually the term broadened to include any vehicle carrying armed men.[1] Technicals have also been referred to as battlewagons, gunwagons,[2] or gunships.

Among irregular armies, often centered on the perceived strength and charisma of warlords, the prestige power of technicals is strong. According to one article, "The Technical is the most significant symbol of power in southern Somalia. It is a small truck with large tripod machine guns mounted on the back. A warlord's power is measured by how many of these vehicles he has."[3] Technicals are not commonly used by well-funded armies that are able to procure purpose-built combat vehicles, because the soft-skinned civilian vehicles that technicals are based on do not offer very good protection to their crew and passengers.

Technicals fill up the niche of traditional light cavalry. Their major asset is speed and mobility, as well as their ability to strike from unexpected directions with automatic fire and light troop deployment. In direct engagements, they are no match against heavier vehicles, such as tanks or dedicated AFVs, and usually suffer major losses against them.

Tech1.jpg

A Toyota Hilux-based technical in Liberia armed with 14.5mm KPV heavy machine gun

Tech2.jpg

A US Army Willys M38A1 with a mounted M40 recoilless rifle.

Edited by CAVBOSS
  • Like 2

Walthers has n-scale trucks of all sorts, though not in the price range of 30 for $30. No where near that price point. They do have a brought selection of types from semi-trucks all the way to vintage trucks. Thos are the kind my wife want so she can make a ratrod . . . Only lifesize.

So for the most part I won't be painting most of these if I don't have to BUT a good shadow wash and a little weathering is definitely in order.  N-Scale (10mm) is a bit small whereas CAV is a 15mm game but the N-Scale vehicles make the CAVs looks freakin amazing when put next to each other!!  I wasn't originally going to base my armies on anything but clear acrylic... but I don't think I can go on living without at least one CAV stepping on a mustang as part of it's base.  In any event I can take a couple pictures later tonight of some of my CAV with some N-Scale vehicles to show you how they look.

Here is what I'm planning on getting...

aaef_12.JPG

Supply Truck!

!BRfOmbwBmk~$(KGrHgoH-DIEjlLlvEUjBJ-PBhS

Ambulance!

!B6rD)+QBmk~$(KGrHqF,!jEEyd8QJlnSBMyLi5g

I am getting at least three sets of these (6 trucks total), replacing the wheels with hover jets, and putting them on flight stands.  Oh, and some kind of weapon in the back.

Edited by Girot
  • Like 3