Sign in to follow this  
Maledrakh

Maledrakh's Oathsworn Fire Giant / Efreeti

Great job with the painting - it's the same colour scheme I planned for mine, and will maybe even one day actually get around to painting... :blush:

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Maledrakh
      Every so often, a model catches my attention. Sometimes because it is excellent and inspiring, sometimes because there is something off about it. Sometimes the model is both.  Here is one such example:

Yeah, it is the angle of the buckler thats just wrong. It simply should not happen. It triggers my OCD.
      This is the "Gnoll Warrior" from the "Thank You pack" add-on in the second Bones kickstarter. During the kickstarter it was presented as a line concept drawing and as is usually the case, the resulting miniature ends up slightly different. Still a perfectly good representation of the original concept art, but anyhow.
      That said, I do understand that one-piece castability requires certain angles and alignments for the mould to work, and to get the detail in the shield to show it cannot be sideways in the mould. There have been plenty of examples of minis in strange poses and/or holding things at strange angles because of this.
      This Gnoll is also stylistically rather different from the other Gnolls Reaper makes in Bones, perhaps it's just not so comic-like?
      But I ramble.
      The other day as I yet again was perusing the Drawers of Doom™, I picked this one for the painting table. But first it got to meet Mr. Scalpel for a field amputation followed by a quick rotation and graft:
      One drop of superglue later the case of the misaligned buckler was solved.
      Add a base and some paint:

Good thing classic Bones material is really easy to slice and reposition. Such an excellent material for convertions as well.

Jagged white parallells of sharp fangs emerged into the campfire light, then a staring yellow eye. Inquisitive, roughly probing clawed fingers followed. Snorting, foul breath enveloped me, causing me to gag.
      It jerked its beast-like head back, loud barks of mocking laughter spraying spittle in my face as I tried to stand my ground.
         "I smell fright, little man", the gnoll rasped out at last. "Why's that parlay-totem here?"

This mini was finished September 12th 2020.

77388 Gnoll Warrior
      From the second Bones kickstarter 2013
      Reaper Miniatures
      Sculpted by Bobby Jackson
      classic white Bones PVC
      40mm base
      available from reapermini.com
    • By Maledrakh
      Nolzur's do make a few great monster minis, even though most -if not all- of their humanoid minis are too small, weedy and have too shallow detailing for my liking. Here is one:

Yep, a dead head.

50mm base.
      The main colour is Citadel Contrast Plaguebearer flesh, the rest is regular paint.

This mini was finished September 12th 2020.

Zombie Beholder
      Nolzur's Marvellous Miniatures, Wave 11 2020
      Wizkids
      I have no idea who sculpted this, as WizKids do not -as far as I know- publish this info.
      PVC,
      50mm base
    • By Maledrakh
      It has been a while since I painted anything. A combination of my arms acting up again and my just not feeling it. Call it the recurring fallow season.
      So I am getting back on track with some Orcs.  These are partly from the first Bones kickstarter and partly from the third. All together a nice band of 10.
      There are nine different orcs that are variants made on only two basic bodies, plus a singular warchief that I think fits in with the lot of them.
      I originally based them on 40mm round bases with sloped edges, the thinner-than-citadel knockoff ones. But there was always something not quite right about them, the bases were simply too large for the minis. So off they came. I ended up with making 37mm 3D-printed ones instead. I think they fit well on these minis.

lots of pictures below

• By Maledrakh
      Where several of the other Lost Valley dino-beasts have extra fantasy elements to them, such as extra horns. spiney ridges, a third digit on the vestigial front limbs and such, this one is just about picture perfectly based on a real dinosaur: The Carnotaurus.

The Carnotaurus lived at some point during the Late Cretaceous period, that lasted from about 100 million to 66 million years ago. There have been found several fossils with bones and skin impressions that show scales, ridges and bumps in the hide. No sign of feathers though.
      The fossils are all found in South America, which was part of the supercontinent southern Gondwanaland when these critters existed.
      This is the only raptor-like predatory dino we know of that had horns on the skull, looking like very sharp eyebrows more than anything else really.

This model was originally released in metal some years ago, which might explain the difference in design philosophy ("real dinosaur" vs "fantasy dinosaur"). Now it also exists in Bones Black in the Lost Valley.

This mini was finished August 18th 2020.

44080 Carnotaurus
      from the Lost Valley Expansion
      Bones 4 kickstarter, delivered 2019
      Reaper Miniatures
      Sculpted by Dennis Mize
      Made in Bones Black PVC
      65x35mm bespoke 3D printed base

• By Maledrakh
      So, is this inspired by Megalania, or is it something else entirely?
      Megalania was a giant monitor lizard that lived in Australia up to about 50.000 years ago, and might have been about this size compared to a human. It did as far as I know not have a spiney ridge all down the back or horizontally along the tail.
      Or is this more of a Crocodilian precursor like Dynamosuchus Collisensis that lived a whopping 230 million years ago, at the very Dawn of the Dinosaurs? That one would be smaller though, and still not have the back- and tailspines.

At any rate, Hornslasher:

Painting beasts such as this is a doddle: black undercoat, heavy dark blue drybrush, then some darkish greenish ochre and assorted sandy, green, and some pale blue grey. Pale belly and undersides. Claws and teeth in offwhite. I did some electric blue dots on the face just to get some colour in. This is mostly a case of throwing some colour on here and there to hint of stripes or patterns in the hide, and then to just stop at some point. A very light dusty drybrush to unify a bit and done. Dark purply red and pink in the mouth.
      I based it similarily to the Enormous Crocodile I did some weeks ago, with a thin, oval base that was half "muddy waters" going the length of the body. 100x50mm 3D printed base, built up to the left hindquarters with some scraps of plastic and putty.

Still large enough to be a serious threat to the denizens of the Lost Valley.

This mini was finished August 18th 2020.

44068 Hornslasher
      from the Lost Valley Expansion
      Bones 4 kickstarter, delivered 2019
      Reaper Miniatures
      Sculpted by Jason Wiebe
      Made in Bones Black PVC
      100x50mm bespoke 3D printed base
  • Who's Online   20 Members, 1 Anonymous, 44 Guests (See full list)