BASIUS 2.5 - The Tabletop Wargames Base Stamp System Returns

SamuraiJack

Just saw a comment from the Bakers in the Basius 2 comments section that Basius 3 will be a while in coming.  ::(:

B3 will happen - but it wont be for a while - the long awaited Warmaidens, a certian 'boomy' project, and something fab to do with chess is in the pipeline for us before B3 :)

Ron

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking things over a bit and reading the Bakers' comments again, I think that they are not in a position to go to retail anywhere because of production issues or limitations on being able to produce and then maintain a sufficient inventory of pads in order to support retail sales at any decent quantity.

Yep. Crowdfunding only helps creator overcome *one* obstacle of projects: often, a project will need a large lump-sum of money at the beginning of the project. Crowdfunding does *not* automagically establish the means for a creator to bring his product to retail (Amazon's Launchpad is a service that fills in this gap), and many creators have gone bankrupt because they overestimated the retail demand for their product when they produced units for backers and estimated retail demand (cheaper that way).

In other words, selling product through KS and not retail may become a preferable business model for some small companies. Cthulhu Wars, for example, said they could not offer their game to distributors at the standard discount distributors expected. Johnny Lauck of MegaMiniatures (Car Combat KS started today) is making miniatures for fun, so doesn't want to deal with retail. And, of course, retail takes away resources (human and cash) that could otherwise be spent on other parts of the business.

• Like 1

I used to manage a stockroom for a major retail chain, idle inventory is a nightmare. It amazed me how many front end managers didn't understand how to maintain stock throughput.

I'm pretty tempted by this one, but the price gives me pause as I don't do a /ton/ of basing. On the other hand, having the option to whip up something sharp looking might be nice. I'm interested mostly in hex and victoriana, probably industrial as a 3rd...

• Like 2

Does anyone have forest? Do you like it? I am definitely sure I will get imperial and sanctuary seems like another good one (I mostly use for DnD). Dungeon concept is nice but I feel like too much of the tile is treasure or other uncommon things. Forest seems useful but I want to make sure it turns out nicely or doesn't make its bases look too much the same.

• Like 1

Forest is apparently very difficult to use.  You can get good results but it's tricky.  Lots of release agent, a thick layer of epoxy, and pull up very straight to get the best impression. 

That's second hand knowledge, I don't have it myself, so take that for what it's worth.  I can say from experience that Imperial and Sanctuary are both pretty easy to use, but the deeper the cut, the trickier it is to get good impressions.  More practice would probably give better results.  I find if you have a deep cut, I find it's best to put extra lumps of epoxy into the areas where the recesses are.  Don't rely on a flat layer on the base pressing into all the deep details, help it out.

• Like 2

I'm in for now, but yeah they are expensive. I'm thinking Victoriana, sanctuary, and imperial. Since those will get me a nice variety of indoor outdoor textures.

Or if you want to borrow mine to play with, let me know.  I have at least 2 of the 3.

Does anyone have forest? Do you like it? I am definitely sure I will get imperial and sanctuary seems like another good one (I mostly use for DnD). Dungeon concept is nice but I feel like too much of the tile is treasure or other uncommon things. Forest seems useful but I want to make sure it turns out nicely or doesn't make its bases look too much the same.

I find it the most difficult of all my pads to get the crisp detail out of and the most finicky to paint.  There is so much going on in that pad that its difficult to not invest more work in the imprint than the mini.  Don't get me wrong, I have gotten some nice prints off of it but, out of the 5 B2 pads and 5 B1 pads I have, it takes the most trys to get it right.

• Like 4

I'm in for now, but yeah they are expensive. I'm thinking Victoriana, sanctuary, and imperial. Since those will get me a nice variety of indoor outdoor textures.

Or if you want to borrow mine to play with, let me know. I have at least 2 of the 3.

I find it the most difficult of all my pads to get the crisp detail out of and the most finicky to paint. There is so much going on in that pad that its difficult to not invest more work in the imprint than the mini. Don't get me wrong, I have gotten some nice prints off of it but, out of the 5 B2 pads and 5 B1 pads I have, it takes the most trys to get it right.

1) I don't like borrowing things because it means I have to make sure I'm responsible and return said things. But I'm grown so sometimes I can actually trust myself to be an adult.

2) We can't always be sure that we will live in the same area forever...

But with all that being said... Which ones do you have because I have a number of ones I'd like access to, and there were some partially artbitrary decisions on which three to limit myself to...

So knowing what you have, maybe there could be a bit more coordination of pads in the Louisville.

• Like 1

Or if you want to borrow mine to play with, let me know. I have at least 2 of the 3.

I find it the most difficult of all my pads to get the crisp detail out of and the most finicky to paint. There is so much going on in that pad that its difficult to not invest more work in the imprint than the mini. Don't get me wrong, I have gotten some nice prints off of it but, out of the 5 B2 pads and 5 B1 pads I have, it takes the most trys to get it right.

1) I don't like borrowing things because it means I have to make sure I'm responsible and return said things. But I'm grown so sometimes I can actually trust myself to be an adult.

2) We can't always be sure that we will live in the same area forever...

But with all that being said... Which ones do you have because I have a number of ones I'd like access to, and there were some partially artbitrary decisions on which three to limit myself to...

So knowing what you have, maybe there could be a bit more coordination of pads in the Louisville.

Either way. At the very least I can offer a try before you buy.

I have Imperial, mountian, plaugelands, forest, and Victoriana in basius 2

And homestead, balls of steel, desert island, santuary, and one more in basius 1 I can't remember.

You (and anyone else in the forum around louisville) are welcome to BYOP and experiment with any of them.

I get the most use out of the desert island, imperial, mountian, and victoriana.

• Like 3

Any reason why i cant set up a second account if i want more than 3 pads?

Someone asked the same thing, here's the answer.

Creator Wargames Bakery 6 days ago

@Briggsy - it explains it on the main page - its both a postage & production speed thing - if we have 19 as a pledge again the project (as with the process used in B2) could take half a year / a full year to do the shipping as there would be so many pads - we want to do what is best for YOU backers - and get them to you ASAP - so by limiting everyone to 1 2 or 3 this time we can get them produced A LOT faster. 

resin & production costs have increased lots since last year, so we have had to increase prices a little (only by £3 just for the 2 pack) - BUT we wanted to make sure there was an option that was better for backers than last time, to thank you all for supporting us so much in B1 & B2!!! - It would not be a very cool project if we had to increase prices everywhere!!

Why Only 3 Pads Maximum?

This was a tricky call - We have limited the maximum pledge to 3 pads in Basius 2.5 to ensure that backers get their pads very soon after the project ends

Please don't try to be sneaky and pay for 4 or more pads in this Kickstarter - It would slow down the shipping for everybody - We are trying a new way of working in BASIUS 2.5 and if it works, we can increase the number of pads in future Kickstarters :) Thanks for understanding!

Last time (in BASIUS 2) we became swamped (in a good way!!) with thousands of pads to produce - It took a long time to get them all done. This time will be much MUCH faster - Backers will have their pledges fulfilled in a random order (to avoid grumbles between backers), and pads will be sent out to people as soon as they are ready.

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 1

Very good to read what you people write about the different pads and the change in difficulty in making actual bases with them!

It's very tough to make a deciscion which I want to take .. but your strories definitely help!

Together with the "Dark Age Outpost" fortress(es) and Blood Rage minis I think they will make for some very nice diaramas! ^_^