Sign in to follow this  
knarthex

What do you listen to while you paint?

So, I am sitting here dry brushing the terrain pieces from DDS2, and the cd changer is playing Deep Purple 'Black Knight'. The 'House of Hair' with Dee Snyder just ended 30 minutes ago, and the radio was playing [redacted] so the CD player is loaded and on shuffle....

I listen mainly to metal music, doesn't mater if it's from the '60s or came out today, as long as it rocks! As my formative music years were the '80s, it is really no surprise. Good seats at a concert were $20, and nose bleeds were $10....

Try finding parking at a concert for that today!

Some favorite bands, in no particular order:

Deep Purple, Dio, Rainbow, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Twisted Sister, Michael Schenker, Yngvie Malmstein, Jimmy Hendrix, Skid Row, AC DC, Jethro Tull, (They did beat Metallica for a grammy.... :unsure: ), Ufo, Scorpions, Rush, Yes, Triumph....

I also like some Classical Music, Strauss, Beethoven, Mozart, Copland, Holst, Wagner, being some favored composers....

Almost anything with a Sci-fi or fantasy theme and or lyrics will get at least a listen...

So what is on your I-Pod, in your CD player, or in your vinyl collection?

Or do you paint in SILENCE?????

George

• Like 7

Depends on what I'm painting... I put on heavy stuff for bad guys or things that are going to be dark or ferocious-looking, and I put on lighter stuff for pieces where I'm giving it a nice cheery bright paintjob... It depends extensively on just what kind of emotional vibe I want the mini to have.

My go-to music for the lighter pieces is Blackmore's Night (Ritchie and Candace sometimes attend our local Renfaire, I've met them twice), although I often cue up other stuff like Billy Ray Cyrus, Robert Plant/Alison Krauss, Cat Stevens, Celtic Woman, The Corrs or maybe Billie Joel. Sometimes I go for the odd stuff like Camper van Beethoven or Me First & the Gimmee Gimmees...

For more intense stuff I break out Nightwish, Evanescence, maybe even Type O Neg, Ministry, Corrosion of Conformity, etc.

But like I said, depending on what I'm painting it could be anything from Katie Melua to King Diamond or They Might Be Giants to Cowboy Junkies...

My musical collection goes beyond eclectic into nearly random...

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 4

It varies greatly. Sometimes I paint with tutorials on via YouTube. Sometimes I paint with a movie or show on. Sometimes I paint with music.

For me music is always a mood thing. Even moreso than other media. Either dependent on the mood I am in or the mood I am trying to put myself in (the latter doesn't always work).

My musical tastes bounce from things like the pop-punk of the late 90s/early 2000s to the grunge scene and from Johnny Cash to CCR. From Hans Zimmer to Mozart. From Metallica to The Beastie Boys. From Godsmack to Linkin Park. From Weezer to Weird Al.

Even recent top 40 and country occasionally finds their way into my playlists.

• Like 3

Depends on what I'm painting... I put on heavy stuff for bad guys or things that are going to be dark or ferocious-looking, and I put on lighter stuff for pieces where I'm giving it a nice cheery bright paintjob... It depends extensively on just what kind of emotional vibe I want the mini to have.

My go-to music for the lighter pieces is Blackmore's Night (Ritchie and Candace sometimes attend our local Renfaire, I've met them twice), although I often cue up other stuff like Billy Ray Cyrus, Robert Plant/Alison Krauss, Cat Stevens, Celtic Woman, The Corrs or maybe Billie Joel. Sometimes I go for the odd stuff like Camper van Beethoven or Me First & the Gimmee Gimmees...

For more intense stuff I break out Nightwish, Evanescence, maybe even Type O Neg, Ministry, Corrosion of Conformity, etc.

But like I said, depending on what I'm painting it could be anything from Katie Melua to King Diamond or They Might Be Giants to Cowboy Junkies...

My musical collection goes beyond eclectic into nearly random...

Curious, where is your 'Local' Ren Faire?

I used to hang out at the NY Faire in Tuxedo at Sterling Forest for most of the 90s....

It's where I met the wench....

We used to do King Richard's Faire in Carver MA, often as well....

8)

George

• Like 2

For the last two weeks? I listen to Creepy Pastas............ Yep. 

??????

Is that the name of a band?

Or is your dinner haunted....

8)

George

• Like 4

For the last two weeks? I listen to Creepy Pastas............ Yep.

??????

Is that the name of a band?

Or is your dinner haunted....

8)

George

They're like internet urban legends, short horror stories and such.

• Like 3

I usually paint to Metal.

My favorite "to paint to" albums are Motörhead - Aftershock , Inferno and Overkill. Bolt Thrower - Those Once Loyal, Opeth - Blackwater Park and Deliverance and Arch Enemy - Doomsday Machine.

• Like 1

Curious, where is your 'Local' Ren Faire?

I used to hang out at the NY Faire in Tuxedo at Sterling Forest for most of the 90s....

It's where I met the wench....

We used to do King Richard's Faire in Carver MA, often as well....

8)

George

CT Renaissance Faire - Used to be out near Lebanon for years, then they held it in Norwich last year, but now it's apparently in North Haven this year...

Since Ritchie Blackmore and family live out on Long Island, they and their band are known to occasionally randomly show up at the Faire in their performance costumes (instruments and all) and just hang out - I've even heard them jamming once, just sitting on the benches off to one side of the faire.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 2

I listen to Rock and metal, so that's what's playing when I paint. I don't always have music playing, though.

Lately, I've been playing a lot of Alestorm.

• Like 1

I should get more music into my painting room... but I kinda forget. Also, no other electronics than my cellphone.

So lately I only paint to silence... or more specifically, to the sounds of my internal discussions in my head. Painting is where and when I sort out my life issues TBH, my "me" time, so it works. Just yesterday I was painting first while doing a character-building session for an upcoming RPG game, and then when it was done, my father-in-law came in to check on me because of the utter silence of the place.

• Like 2

I'm not much of a music listener, never have been really.

I either have the TV on or I listen to CBC Radio. I sort of like having talk radio in the background. It feels both entertaining, instructive, without being to much of a distraction for my task at hand.

TV is way more distractive unless it's a repeat. Then again, I'm never in a hurry when I paint.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 1

Usually listen to WAAF if I am painting.  Or Sports Talk Radio.  Oddly enough, that is also what I listen to in my car.

• Like 1