Getting to Know Each Other --- September Edition

TGP

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question for September 3rd: Do you enjoy thunderstorms or do you fear them?

I absolutely love them.  The driving rain, howling winds, thunderous booms rattling the windows, lightning causing the heavens to explode.

Only time I am not a fan is when they happen while we are camping, because being in a tent that leaks sucks.

Only had hail a few times happen during storms.  Not as much a fan of that.

As for "marshmellow fluff", isn't that the stuff sold in jars by, um... Jet-Puff'd Marshmellows (that's their name, right?) in the baking isle? It's what you use it to make fudge and rice krispy treats if you don't feel like melting marshmellows. Of course, with the jarred marshmellow goo you get to lick the spoon... :rolleyes:

That is marshmallow cream/creme.  It is VERY different.

• Like 1

Odd to say but I actually enjoy all types of Severe weather activity. I think someone said this prior but it reminds me of how powerless we really are against Mother nature. 

Me and the Fam enjoy sitting outside watching / listening the weather all night

• Like 2

My last experience with a thunderstorm was flying through one into Dallas.

Not fun.

Completely agree. That scares the ever living hell out of me!  :wacko:

Didn't help that I hadn't slept in about 40 hours. My arms were sore for a few days afterward from gripping the seat too hard.

• Like 1

One of the things I hated about my time in Scotland was the constant never-ending drizzle of rain (at least, that is what it felt like).  Generally, I can't stand rain (although I understand its importance) so no, I hate thunderstorms.

Unless the thunderstorm is severe enough that I get the day off work - in that case, I LOVE thunderstorms.   :;):

• Like 1

Stormytimes Storytime 

When I was 10 there was a Tuesday evening when a big old storm came boiling up. It interrupted a multiple encyclopedia homework session (this was back in the olden days, when there wuz no interwebz) those books were spread out on the big homework table. There came a crazy heavy storm. Water started pouring thru the ceiling onto the open books. This happened because the big table was on the back porch, the back porch had been converted to a sun room with a nearly flat aluminum roof, so much water piled up on that roof that the aluminum roof segments sagged, and when they sagged the snap joints between them spread just slightly, and presto — rain indoors!

The humans that might have spirited the books to a safer location were busy with other tasks. I remember building an improvised dam at the door between the back porch and the den, to keep the water out of the house proper. You see water was piling up in the backyard also. It was coming in under the edges of sun room walls and under the sunroom door. All the backyards in that neighborhood had wooden privacy fences and each yard was turning into a pond, because water was falling out of the sky so fast it could not drain away under the fences fast enough. Our yard got almost a foot deep at one point. My dad waded into the backyard with a hammer and attacked the fence panel at the lowest point where the water was deepest (SE corner). While that was going on my brother and I got ordered to sit on the trunk (trans: "boot", for Beagle) of one of the cars in the garage. I guess the theory was we would be right near the car if the parents decided to abandon house and flee uphill and it put us a few feet higher while we waited. 

But, the hammer, the water pressure, and my dad knocked down that fence section and the crisis was averted. The street in front of our house was blocked by flowing water for about ten minutes as all the water drained away out of our yard and the neighbor's yard (all they had to do was open their gate; our gate was on the higher, more level West side).

Stormytimes Storytime II

When I was about 14 one afternoon at school, it started raining, power went off, the sirens cut loose and the teacher started trying to remember if we were supposed to hide under the desks or cower in the hall or what. I went to both of the windows and cranked them open (there was this theory that open windows would afford a building a chance of equalizing pressure if the wind got bad) and then I took up a spot at one as a lookout. The teacher wanted me to huddle with the rest—I told her the moment I saw flying debris or a funnel I would bail. And, then I proceeded to narrate and give updates.

I dunno if that is safety protocol or what but it feels so much better to have "eyes" and an idea of what is going on than to huddle somewhere without knowing. And, I think that might be why she didn't argue much.

That storm rolled over us fast, and it got darker, and darker, as the cloud deck got lower and lower. For several minutes it was pitch black outside. It was darker than night time.  There were no stars, moonlight or streetlights. In between lightning flashes it was pitch black. Also, the thunder was VERY LOUD and there was no delay between the flash and the sound. All this lasted maybe ten minutes (seemed like 20 or 30) and then rolled away, power came back within the hour. Didn't even cancel ::(: the rest of the school day.

Stormytimes Storytime III

When I was about 21, I attended an SCA event way out in West Texas. (There were the usual collection of half-way medieval-ized camping equipment arranged in a park/campground). A storm blew up that was as bad as the one from seven years before but it was moving faster. To the credit of the Autocrats (organizer and team) they had warning, they had a guy with a head-set that was patched in to a police scanner or something. They had about thirty minutes warning and they passed the word for everybody to batten down and take cover as best they could. I wound up riding it out in my car. A few tents blew around like tumbleweeds—nobody hurt. That one lasted about five-ten minutes.

The Rest of the Story

So for me, I would like nothing better than sitting near a window, listening to steady rain, with thunder rumbling at a distance, while I read a book or painted. That I would enjoy. But, I have a certain respectful fear of thunderstorms.

Edited by TGP
  • Like 9