Sign in to follow this  
fishnjeeps

My critique on the CAV SO Rulebook

So I finally got my hands on the new CAV Strike Operations rulebook and I've been reading it all weekend. I still have yet to play a game with it but hopefully that can happen soon. I've played other mech games before and they have been great fun and this looks like I'll be able to relive the good ol days in a far easier way. 

The book looks an feels great. It's at least the same quality if not slightly better than my much older mech rulebook. I really like the hardcover as well as it seems to last longer than softcovers in my opinion. Inside, its all color which was unexpected but really nice. The other guys are all black and white with only a few color pages. The graphics are professional, well laid out and easy to understand. 

The rules are easy to understand and once I do get an opponent I"m sure playing will be simple enough. That being said, I really wish that there were at least a couple of datacards in the back that could be used for playing. I wouldn't expect all of the units available to be there but a copyable Dictator and perhaps another unit to get a person started would have been a good idea. Perhaps a companion book in the near future with data cards would be a good Idea as not everyone can get online and download them.

The construction rules are great and I look forward to making a few custom units in the future. Again, a lack of blank datacards is unfortunate. Someone new to CAV might not understand how to format a data card for a custom machine. Again, not everyone can use the CAV creation program that is available.

Overall I really like the rulebook and while I haven't played a game yet, I can easily understand how to and that is really important in a rulebook. The quality is there and it is a great game. I wouldn't let a couple small things keep me from playing anytime! 

• Like 6

I am hoping that either Talon or Reaper will be making individual unit cards available pre printed. I can't get the programs to work (older mac) and the only cards I can get to print are the original set for the first 8 models. I would love it if there was even just set of cards in pdf wet to print on a standard 8.5x11 paper. Easy enough to get that printed to cardsotck for durability. I love the original 8 but would hate to have to reconstruct each Mech from the available info on the net.

Check out the thread CAV : SO downloads on this forum for a pdf of all the data cards. Also the downloads section of the cavhq.com website has color cards for all of the models featured in the kickstarter.

• Like 1

I always thought it would be a good idea that the packaging that the model comes in would have a a data card printed on it. (?) Probably not possible but the idea of buying a Cav and having him ready at the store - almost like a pull and play. As if a group of new players with no data cards and just the hand book could get started right there.

They did that with Warlord and it created huge problems once errata started coming out, as old cards remained in retail circulation long past the date of the changes.

• Like 3

They did that with Warlord and it created huge problems once errata started coming out, as old cards remained in retail circulation long past the date of the changes.

Good point! I didn't think of that. 

Plus many CAV have multiple official variants.

I think a book similar to bother games technical readout would be worthwhile. Not be nessarily an army book for each faction but a copy of the current data cards bound and printed.

• Like 1

I have to admit, the first thing I did when I got my book was look for data cards (Having played previous editions, I was interested in how my favorite CAVs were represented :blush: ).  And yeah, the "old man" side of me was definitely thrown for a loop for not having a section of standard CAVs printed in the book.

I did find the download link on the page with the Dictator data card example and I'm ok with that.  When it comes to CAV, I've always had my own set of files ready to print and play.

We discussed adding cards directly to the book internally more times than I care to remember. The main reason was any change to a rule or as new versions became available, we immediately nullified those cards, cards that took space we could use for more background fluff etc. With the almost universal access to the internet, I decided to go with a pdf version of the cards that could be downloaded anytime and would always be the most current version.

• Like 3

I haven't look hard enough and I dont have my book on me. Do you make mention of the Data cards URL in the book?

-- Yes sir. P 37 under "The Data Card"

• Like 1

My critique is more a question. Where is the acknowledgement for the creators of the universe and actual original CAV designs? Or is it okay to steal others ideas and pass them off as your own now? Just curious.

My critique is more a question. Where is the acknowledgement for the creators of the universe and actual original CAV designs? Or is it okay to steal others ideas and pass them off as your own now? Just curious.

I'm glad you asked.

I created the entire universe and wrote most, if not all of the text in the original CAV book.

Concerning CAV designs? There were several people involved in that. The Rhino is a perfect example. We had Jamie VanShaik simply creating mech parts and sending them down to us. I assembled the first Rhino using a set of legs and a torso. I sculpted from scratch the arms, missile packs and hip joints. I still have the original sculpture. James Burrell later created the 3d model from my sculpture that used some of Jamie's pieces. Who gets credit on the blister card as sculptor? James, as it is the 3d model we are selling. All CAVs were created with my personal input, design and approval. Was James and everyone in the past credited for their contributions? Yes.

And this brings me to the CAV:SO credit page itself. It is a simple and basic presentation. Did Jon do the Graphic Design and Layout? yes

It was decided to go with a minimal credits presentation. This decision was made by me. CAV:SO is a new beginning.

There is not a category for "Game Development", which would have covered all sorts of things such as design and creation contributions. Countless people have made all sorts of contributions to CAV and now CAV:SO.

I believe, and I might be wrong, but there were only 4 pieces of art carried over to the new book from old CAV files. Also, as far as I am aware, ALL artist, writers and anything developed as official canon for CAV have been paid in full for their services.

Thank you and as always I am available for questions like this.

best,

• Like 6