Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
I realize it's not the weekend, but the week was quite busy and I'm happy to have got any of this done at all.
This little wizard's focus for me was going to be brighter colors and trying to do skin and hair better. I think it came out pretty well.
* The base color of red tone and highlighting upward to flesh tone seems to be a good mix.
* Keeping to adjacent colors on the color wheel made for a pleasing, eye-catching combo. I have to say using the reds, oranges, and browns was pretty fun.
* I did as much highlighting and avoiding washes as I could. This has been my practice over the last number of models I've done. I don't get how the videos show people just splashing it on for amazing results. I don't get it, can't seem to do it the same, so I resort to taking more time on starting dark and going light. Much like Dr. Faust's painting videos. I've learned much from watching him.
* Mixing paints is getting better. I used like colors to lighten and highlight and I'm getting a better balance and understanding of how they may look really different wet, but getting to know how they dry and differs greatly.
* The eyes worked better going in order of black first, white second, black third. I was doing a white, black, white and it made the eyes look weird. @Inarah pushed me to try something different and it's been working better.
* The brown hair with little highlights came out good and I'm trying to be very light in my touch to get subtle look versus stark. Win!
* The staff is okay. I tried to give it like some kind of weathered look or cool effect at the end, but it just didn't sing like I had hoped.
* On the back of his cape, there's a part that I tried shading inf that just didn't look believable to the eye. I tried to hit it a few times to catch the light and how to lighten the edgest, but it was lost on me. Fail.
*The skin on his hand held out has a funny look to it up close. I tried to bring out some of pads of his fingers and palm, but it doesn't look as good as I had hoped.
Overall it's another win, and I'm happy with the results.
dwarven tattooed monk
A Custom Miniature developed on Hero Forge and 3D printed by a friend
As mentioned in the Work In Progress, this is a character of mine from an existing campaign. The character has died once and was raised from the dead suffering a drop in his already low Charisma score as a result. His caved-in skull didn't heal properly and the concussion and time in limbo have left him "off" personality wise.
So, with damaged head and tattoos adorning his arms and the opposite side of his skull, I present the embodiment of his family surname, Tor Skullcrusher.
These were taken with a single strip light source so I may come back to this and take some more pics with two background lights.
As always, feel free to leave notes and praise as warranted.
Thanks for looking.
Enjoy and Stay safe.
Just one more for now. I recently received a kickstarter which had decal pages for books and scrips. They were primarily for warhammer but the author made some changes during the kickstarter to make them more system neutral. I got them and then went looking for a mini to try them on. I found Lor Gorna first and this was the result. I liked the mini and i also liked the color i got on his robes and cloak!
And of course his purpose, the book, came out pretty well too!
dwarven tattooed monk
A Thrym Project :: A Custom Miniature developed on Hero Forge and 3D printed by a friend.
Started working on character of mine who is a Dwarven Tattooed Monk. As I mentioned, I created him using Hero Forge, downloaded the .STL, and had him printed elsewhere.
I enjoy using the interface on Hero Forge so far. I have designed and purchased 3 STLs and 2 minis.
Once I received the print, I made a manual adjustment to his skull. An ironic happenstance, given the character's name.
Tor, being a dwarf and confident in his skills against ogres was going toe-to-toe with a rather large ogre with a great club. This is not something unusual so far. The party had been exploring an ogre controlled encampment searching for an item and information for a tribe of centaurs nearby. Unfortunately, Tor suffered a critical hit from the Ogre Champion's club and took a lot of damage when he was already near unconsciousness. He effectively had his namesake applied to his own noggin.
So I removed a large segment of his skull by the patch to approximate the results of his disfigurement once the party ... eventually ... managed to raise him from the dead. His demeanor and appearance was never pleasing to begin with and now it's even worse.
I painted on a primer coat first so I could see where I was removing plastic better. The majority of the work was done with a rounded mini-file as well as a small gouge chisel. I cleaned up the space with a small sanding twig.
For a color scheme, his pallid skin is Reaper's Fair Skin. The coat is Army Painter's D&D Vampire Garments with Army Painter D&D Mouldy Wash. I put the wash over his skin and his hand wraps as well. The coat's trim is just the Vampire Garments again.
For the tans I used Reaper's Desert Sand, Desert Stone, Desert Tan, and Woodland Brown; or some combination thereof. The eye patch, the lining of the coat and the belt are Army Painter's D&D Wraith Black as well as the tattoos on his right and left forearms and the side of his head.
His boots started out as Reaper's Coal Black but I need to reshake the bottle before going back to it.
Yes, I know the pics and the paint wash are a little dark, but the next set of pics will be better lit. I am planning on layering his highlights up to brighter points.
More work to come soon.
Stay Tuned and Safe. Enjoy.
Who's Online 29 Members, 3 Anonymous, 37 Guests (See full list)
- Reverend Shartan
- Dilvish the Deliverer