Help! There is something wrong with my wet palette!

knarthex

Hey folks!

I have just started using a wet palette in my painting, and I am sure that I am doing almost everything wrong. I am at least getting the colors I want blended from it, so that much at least is good.

The container is a Tupperware deli meat container, I am using a piece of foam instead of paper towels, as recomended by

Massive Voodoo, with baker's parchment.

I seem to be using to much paint and thinner, so that I am only getting space for a few colors at a time.

I sometimes feel that palette painting is like mixing Green Stuff, I always make too much...

Pics:

post-14271-0-21614500-1441376533_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-47916900-1441376558_thumb.jpg

Pics of other palettes I have seen, people have 10-20 colors...

Looking for advise please...

Thanks!

8)

George

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had that same problem when I started and as it turns out it was a combination of to much water and the thickness of the parchment paper. It was as if I was pouring pint Paint right in to the water and not on the paper. 

Edited by miniaddict
  • Like 1

I use paper towel, so it may be a different setup, but I use just enough water to saturate the paper towel (I also like that it's disposable, no worries about mold). I also towel off the top of the parchment paper so that it's "dry". I don't really get significant water coming through the paper unless it sits overnight or for days (or weeks).

If you use less paint, you don't need as much water to thin, so you have more room on the palette. I originally started in a small tupperware but changed it to a 12"x12"ish dinner plate because I kept running out of room.

• Like 4

I have the bad habit of adding too much water to my paper towels so that it bleeds through overnight and the next day everything is waterish paint.

I used to use a sponge that came with the wet pallete but it would absord the liquid from the paint and it would be drying up as I painted, even when I addded a ton of water, so that was odd.

• Like 1

are you thinning the paints on the paper?  thinning the paints too much can make them spread out.  remember if you keep the underside of the paper wet enough, you may not have to thin as much as you used to.  I tend to put paint straight out of the bottle on the paper, and add only a hint of water from my brush to get the thickness I want.

• Like 4

Thanks again folks!

Looks like I need to reduce the water under / inside the foam....

Where I usually seem to get into trouble is the thinning / mixing stage. I start with a drop of paint, another drop an inch or 2 away, and by the time I add a drop of thinner to each, I have 1 pool instead of 2 as soon as I mix the colors.

Do I need to mix the colors and then add thinner?

Also, do people use their 'good' brushes to mix paint on the palette, or do you have a separate 'mixing' brush?

I have done both, depending on the paint source. Paint from a pot always starts at least with said mixing brush.

And since I have only 1 pool, when I lighten to a 3rd, 4th, etc time, I just add my drop(s) dab(s) straight to the pool....

8)

George

:ph34r:  'd by  Corporea!

'These are the answers you are looking for....'

Edited by knarthex

I use a separate mixing brush (those games n gears brushes are good for that).

I've been making a new pool of color for every gradient, but watching Ben Komets paint, I have a few new ideas to try out with the wet palette. Also a few things Schubert showed me, but he uses the palette so differently than I do it might be too different to incorporate. Ben's is kind of in the middle of our two styles.

• Like 3

It looks like the paint has sat a while and separated out. I will usually take an old drybrush and wick off the excess liquid, leaving a little to be worked back into the pigment.  I don't add thinner/water on the palette. I pick up some water on my brush and mix a drop or so at a time as I need it.  This allows me to keep 20-30 colors at a time because the paint doesn't run all over the place. 

When I started using a wet palette I was using a sponge much like yours. It was just a home made set up to see if it was something I wanted to pursue. I had a lot of issues with the sponge. Mine was made of foam for packing minis. Yours looks to be similar. I ended up switching to the exact one MissMelons shows and my problems went away for the most part. Just my two cents.

• Like 2

The sponge that came in my stay-wet pallete sucked up all my paint so I stopped using it, wonder if anyone else had the same problem? I even super saturated it. But I could see my paint getting sucked up as I was painting. If I left it overnight there would be no paint left.

When I started using a wet palette I was using a sponge much like yours. It was just a home made set up to see if it was something I wanted to pursue. I had a lot of issues with the sponge. Mine was made of foam for packing minis. Yours looks to be similar. I ended up switching to the exact one MissMelons shows and my problems went away for the most part. Just my two cents.

I used to use a homemade one too and have found that the homemade one required a significant amount of water compared to the one I now I own. I also used the foam they pack with miniatures as my sponge back then.

So what are you using now, and where do I get some?

And yes, that piece of foam was in Takhisis, box that I am now working on....

8)

George

The sponge that came in my stay-wet pallete sucked up all my paint so I stopped using it, wonder if anyone else had the same problem? I even super saturated it. But I could see my paint getting sucked up as I was painting. If I left it overnight there would be no paint left.

Same thing happened to me too the first time I tried my stay-wet palette. My observation was that the sponge was too super saturated in water as it didn't feel like I had that problem days later after some of the water evaporated.

I'll need to do some more testing.

Edited by Cranky Dog