Help! There is something wrong with my wet palette!

knarthex

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my that happens because it is drying up, starting by the edges. Get some little water dropped on the borders, or soak the sponge a bit more, it might be too dry. 

If the paper is Reynolds, for example, it is strong enough to kinda "float" on top of a thin film of water without allowing water through in an amount that would dillute the paint further.

• Like 1

I found another use for those Masterson palette papers. Took some craft paints, big brushes and sponges...and made my own photo backgrounds.

I've all but given up on wet palettes. They don't play well with the AC, paint's still drying up faster than I can use them. 

• Like 1

I agree with Willen.   I actually use folded up papertowel below the parchment and keep it very wet .. to the point there is free water rolling around the bottom of the tray.  This keeps everything moist.   I suspect the sponge is just going dry around the edges.

Edited by robinh
  • Like 1

Keep in mind the light source you are using. When I first started with a wet palette I had the same issue with drying at the edges. It was caused by the desk lamp I was using that threw out enough heat to dry the palette gradually. When I switched lamps the issue went away.

The paper will expand slightly when it becomes saturated, so make sure to take that into account when cutting your paper.  I aim for about a 2cm border, which makes the paper slightly smaller than the sponge, which seems to help with drying out/edges lifting up.

The paper will expand slightly when it becomes saturated, so make sure to take that into account when cutting your paper.  I aim for about a 2cm border, which makes the paper slightly smaller than the sponge, which seems to help with drying out/edges lifting up.

Thanks! I'll remember that when I change it!

8)

George

I remember my own Sta-wet sponge was too wide for the container by about 1 cm *before* it got filled with water. And the paper sheet itself too barely fit in.

I remember my own Sta-wet sponge was too wide for the container by about 1 cm *before* it got filled with water. And the paper sheet itself too barely fit in.

This is exactly my experience!

Digging it so far though!

8)

George