Recently Browsing 0 members
- No registered users viewing this page.
The challenge is 30 minis in 30 days (not necessarily 1 mini each day.) I've been prepping a few figures each week since August, and this year's theme is Science Fiction:
XairBot (Small) 49012
XairBot (Medium) 49013
CyberReavers I (2) 50354
CyberReavers II (2) 50355
HESCO barriers (2)
Starship Generator 80053
Tess, Adventuring Heroine 49020
Slade, Cyborg Hero 49018
Nova Corp:Female 80013
Nova Corp:Soldier 80012
Gothic Tank Traps/objective markers (2)
3d printed scatter terrain
Crates (Large and Small)(2) 77248
Jersey Barriers (2)
IMEF: Reggie Van Zandt 80017
Viceroy Enforcers (3) 30029
Starship Generator 80053 #2
Dreadmere wight 44022
dark elf w/bow 1128
Liriel Silverlocks 2458
DGS games female
Not shown: Blood Nebula Mercenary 49017, Power Generator 72611 (2)-- still in blister packs.
That gets me to 30-ish, depending on whether I count things like the barriers and crates as single pieces or not. Still working on getting the last few pieces washed and primed and identified.
I love doing WIPs. And I've got a lot projects I should finish 😊. And since there is still no progress with Barros and Tempest (this time because I'm still waiting for a new base to be shipped), why not start something new?
I've yet to paint my first dragon, so I'll use this opportunity to do it. I confess, I'm cheating a bit here, since I'm going to paint the white dragon by Dark Sword Minis - that's a very small dragon. But still, he's got wings and teeth and claws and scales, so definitely a dragon, yessir!
I absolutely love this mini. I bought it many years ago, but the horns went missing. Fortunately, when I ordered some more minis from Dark Sword a while ago, I was able to order some spare horns, so now I'm good to go.
Here he is, assembled and prepped:
Now I have to decide on a paint scheme, which I can't bring myself to do. There are three ideas I have at the moment:
paint him up as an ice dragon. I'm thinking white with pinkish/greenish undertones and a base made with transparent crackle paint. There was a very cool version of an Ice Dragon a while ago on this forum, but I can't seem to find it any more. paint him up as a star dragon using the technique I learned at RVE in Kevin Holderny's class. I used it on a coat so far, maybe it looks very cool on the dragon's wings. paint him up as a real world snake. Now there are so many possibilities...
Some more work on the base.
For the ReaperCon MSP Open this year, I painted the master copy of the White Drake I sculpted for Dark Sword (it will be released for sale in 2022). I decided to do him in glacial coloration inspired by a glacier I saw while on a cruise in AK.
For the Sculpting story, click here.
For the Painting WIP, click here.
Oh, and I won a gold medal for him in the Open category.
(Bear in mind that that is a 1" base)
I've been working on my drakes/dragons for what feels like forever now. Last week, Jim of Dark Sword brought me a copy of the metal masters for the small versions of them as they are being prepared for casting. He gave me permission to paint one up as my ReaperCon entry, despite their not being released yet. So here goes...
If you want to read the whole tale on the sculpting of these drakes, check out this thread in the sculpting section.
After prepping the mini, I primed it with my airbrush, using stylrnez.
About 6 months ago, I had started painting a resin prototype of this mini that I had printed. That mini was a bit too small and had some errors in the scales on its tail, so I abandoned it. That said, I am sticking fairly close to the color concept I had with that one and will be using it as a preliminary sketch of where I want this one to go. Here is that sketch model:
On Saturday, I got together with a bunch of friends to work on our Open entries and I began the painting in earnest, All paints are MSP. The dorsal scales are based in Sharkbite, the sides in Marid Blue, and the belly in Grindylow Green. The belly was washed in a mix of Grindylow Green and Clear Pthalo Green. I have more work to do on that shading yet though. I then shaded the sides down to Sharkbite. I also have more work to do on the deepest shadows there yet after I get the highlights done.
I also painted the eyes and teeth.
Yesterday, I highlight the sides up to white and based the claws in Drow Skin.
I plan on spending every night this week working on it and have Friday off as well. I hope I can be done on Friday, but we'll see. I do have all my classes prepped, so am ready for ReaperCon other than this project and one other metal work project I have going. It is going to be a busy week though.
During my Shelf of Shame Project I started with the fairy. Since there is only room for one project on my wet palette, this one had to take the back seat during RVE. Today I finished another project, at least as far as the palette is concerned, so I can finally continue with my little fairy. Every aspect of this project was created by rolling dice.
For everyone interested, here is a somewhat elaborate summary of part one:
During weekend I usually put down my brushes. At the moment, painting is a stand in for my job that's on hold because of Corona restrictions, so there will probably be no progress until next week. I just wanted to set up everything so I can start right away!