Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Between moving and starting a new job this spring, there has not been a lot of time for painting. Plus there was the time taken to inventory Bones IV. I want to try and establish a more regular painting routine, and I thought I would start with some figures that I could do quickly. Several years ago, I purchased some Axis Zombies for the Dust Tactics game. I had no interest in playing the game, but I liked several figures from the range. Last night I did some quick mold line removal (not too worried if I missed some) and gave them a quick coat of primer. I am hoping to get started on them this evening.
I know about the craft article on filling a bucket with sand and spraying foam in the space carved out. I don't have a ton of time so didn't do that. I DID take a few sheets of parchment paper, a few sections of plastic fruit containers lined with parchment paper, and sprayed a can's worth of expanding insulation foam to make some hills.
Because of needing to get by with a stroller, foam was packed up after an hour to continue curing.
In a few days I'll seal with brown craft paint and modgepodge, then experiment with flocking.
This is something I started working on a looong time ago. I finally made the push to get it done and get it out--probably donating it to one of the FLGSs. WIP here: https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/87566-ruined-building-terrain-pic-heavy-ish/
I wasn't trying to get too, too fancy with this. Rather I began with the intent to see how quickly I could make a good enough piece of terrain. Had I not taken a year-long hiatus from it I may have succeeded, as I think that barring drying times I have around.
You can see a Bones skele or to lurking around for scale. I was having a challenging time with my camera and the lighting (room is kind of in disarray at the moment), so I have a few different exposures here.
Had a lot of fun with the fiddly bits like the graffiti, wire conduit, and dead plants.
In the fist and second pics you can even see one of my new backgrounds in the...background--too bad I made it for a standard mini, not a large building.
Questions, comments, critiques welcome!
A craft store near me was going out of business, and I found the rock molding kit from Scene O Rama for $1. There was enough plaster to make 2 molds of each rock. I painted them as instructed with the provided paints, glued them to balsa squares and rectangles, added some dirt and the talus. Some bushes added for color and interest. I wouldn’t use balsa wood for this again. The washes and thinned down glues caused the balsa to curl.
I figured id use them as difficult terrain indicators in our D&D games. I’m thinking about running the old timey Isle of Dread adventure for my group, maybe these will come in handy.
I didn't see this listed so:
I received an engineering sample of the product today. They're made of hard gray injection-molded plastic, my guess would be ABS from its hardness and density. The floor and wall ties fit together tightly, though it takes a bit of effort that likely would wear at paint on those surfaces had they been painted. Due to response from earlier sample recipients, the production tiles will be slightly larger than the samples.
Who's Online 36 Members, 4 Anonymous, 42 Guests (See full list)
- Darsc Zacal
- Generic Fighter
- Painting Dog
- Matt Derry