Randomness VII: The Randomness Awakens

Froggy the Great

I lost two hours today. Last saw them on YouTube near the words "Levan polka".

Yeah, maybe I'm late to the whole party on that. I blame my kids.

Loituma is (was?) a fun band.

Got caught on the vocaloid version, which led to others, which became two hours. Borderline crazy right now. Has happened before, with nyan cat. Only cure for me was a three hour long binge of the song. Feeling that might have to happen again.

Melt the brain from orbit. Only was to be sure.

Leek Spin version? :D

• Like 6

• Replies 15.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got caught on the vocaloid version, which led to others, which became two hours. Borderline crazy right now. Has happened before, with nyan cat. Only cure for me was a three hour long binge of the song. Feeling that might have to happen again.

Nyan Cat Meets Metal! DO EEEEETTT!!!!

(Warning: Don't do it. It's way too good.)

• Like 1

I just gave myself the worst paper cut ever. :zombie: :zombie: :zombie: :zombie:

Not to be dramatic, but it was nice knowing all of you.

Ugh, so sorry.

Do you have any liquid bandage on hand? It's like a mild nail polish with an antiseptic added and is great on papercuts.

No, I'm at the mercy of the supplies in the first aid box....antiseptic spray that burned like I'd squeezed lemon juice in it and a big, awkward bandaid.

I'm just glad not to have to look at it anymore... it's really deep for a paper cut and in between my index finger and thumb so every time I move it looks like I'm seeing far more of my anatomy than I'd like to. (Realistically it's just more skin, but at first it was looking like something out of Hellraiser.)

I have used the liquid bandage before. It is neat stuff. But, it works poorly on areas that flex or get a lot of abrasion or brush against things.

If this is on that web of skin that forms the curve between the thumb and the fingers that will be annoying.

At that spot I would slather it in pain-numbing Neosporin and try to band-aid it. Pro tip on band-aids, the sticky ends need to be applied to the skin when that exact patch of skin is stretched to its maximum extent. On a complicated jointed thing like a hand this might mean that the hand needs to be stretched one way for the left end of the band-aid and in a totally different position for the other end. It is the only way to get a band-aid to stay put over something that moves. If the band-aid crinkles up as you move the joint you did it right. Band-aid pulls loose otherwise.

I've heard people say "Rate your pain on a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is a paper cut, and 10 is the worst pain you've ever had/can imagine" and I think 'A paper cut can hurt like heck... is that really a 1?'

I've been told repeatedly by doctors and nurses that I have a really high pain tolerance, including after major surgery... so if 1 is a paper cut, I feel really awful for anyone with an average pain tolerance because good god.

I had a surgery several years ago and afterward they had me hooked to one of those morphine button dispensing machines. Hit button, get a hit of morphine, but it tracks milligrams/hour and limits how much you get. They told me I significantly under-ran the amount they  had allowed.

:mellow:

• Like 5

. For reference, when I was in Tae Kwon Do, I got kicked in the fork more than once. On one particular occasion, a black belt thought he was hitting my side and wanted to teach me a lesson about maintaining my guard so he didn't pull his kick at all (he knew it'd sting but not actually hurt me)... except he'd caught the inside of my leg, not the outside, so I got hit full-force by a kick to the fork from a black belt. Not only was I able to continue sparring, I was in good enough shape I actually tagged him in the head 

As a fellow martial artist, I am not impressed, not with you, but with the black belt. Always know exactly where you are hitting. Both for partner safety in class, and for maximum effect outside of it.

I haven't seen that in such a long time. Still just as good (bad?)
  • Like 7

Re: pain - I've got a decently high pain tolerance, but I've only had a few really push my "Make the pain go away NAOW plz" button. A couple were cramps that made it feel like all the demons of the abyss were trying to claw out of my belly at the same time, and once was when I was pretty sure I had appendicitis (but turned out to just be enteritis). Even so, the way I generally react to pain is to acknowledge that it's a thing that's happening, and to continue with what I'm doing, unless I can tell that something is legit wrong and I should get it checked out. Like the time I broke my arm and whacked my head on the concrete on the way down. I don't recall anything hurting much, maybe my head was a little sore, but that was it. But I still knew something wasn't right with my arm, even though it didn't hurt, and nothing was visibly wrong with it.

On a somewhat related note, I've finally taken up martial arts again, yay! :bday: I...need to relearn how to punch things properly, I'm rather out of practice. *flexes hands* Also, punching things with gloves on is a new thing for me (trying out kickboxing for the first time).

I think I'm really going to like this dojo; the emphasis is not on competitions, it's on teamwork and teaching each other and having a great time. It's quite a refreshing change from my last experience, to the point that I'm also giving Brazillian Jiu-jitsu another go. I gave it up previously because my experience mostly consisted of being thrown, pinned, and head-locked, rather than how to effectively prevent/escape from them, since the teacher was too busy focusing on the guys heading to competition. I still have no idea how to get out of a headlock.  -_- Oh, and also, because I'm crazy, I'm ALSO going to the Judo class they offer. I figure why not, because it's a flat $90/month for all the available classes, no matter how many or few I attend.  ^_^

@Thes - I really appreciate all the prior authorization info! Since I'm technically going into Health Information Management with my medical coding training, I guess I get to look forward to dealing with that.  :zombie: I mean, on the one hand, I can see that it would be useful for determining whether a less expensive procedure/medication might still be effective, but on the other hand...isn't this kinda what doctors and nurses go to school for years and years for?  :rock:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 14

With every spin of the leek, with every incomprehensible note, my power grows stronger. The time has come.  This is my fate. I am the Lord of the Leeks, and all shall bow before my leekiness or fall!

• Like 7

Here's your random mind-blowing thought for today:

In the Harry Potter series, Barty Crouch Jr (played by David Tennant) died in a chapter called "The Parting of the Ways," and the Doctor regenerated into Ten (again, played by David Tennant) in an episode entitled "The Parting of the Ways." 

Coincidence?

Entirely: Tennant signed on for HP before signing on for DW, but DW started shooting first.

• Like 10

I think the leek has become traditional at this point:

What really gets me is that the singer doesn't exist. It's all just a computer program.

• Like 5

Did you have fun here in Vegas? Do anything I tossed your way?

Not yet, but I have a ton of free time before my flight Friday, so I am planning to head downtown and check some of it out.

Is that Star Trek thing still open? I wonder if there's still footprints on the ceiling of Quark's Bar, lol... ::D:

I've heard people say "Rate your pain on a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is a paper cut, and 10 is the worst pain you've ever had/can imagine" and I think 'A paper cut can hurt like heck... is that really a 1?'

I'm bad, really bad about that... I actually have trouble determining how much pain I'm in, which has probably several times resulted in me ending up with a greater injury because I got up and walked it off when I should have just laid there and screamed...

I personally like to use "Where 1 is you barely notice without thinking about it, and 10 is you are knocked unconcious hardly able to move."

(Usually if I can ask someone to rate their pain, and they look up from their smart phone and calmly tell me that they have 12 out of 10 pain, I personally think the individual and I are not using the same scale.)

I never did like the 1-10 method of rating pain.  It is way too biased based upon someones experiences.  Forex, I know people who have had children, been shot, or passed a kidney stone (or in one case fail to pass a kidney stone).  Their 10 would be much different than some one who has only stubbed their toe.

I had a doctor tell me once that I was a tough bastard when I came into the ER with half the pad of my right middle finger flopping around from an accident at work and I didn't even react when he jammed the needle full of anesthetic into the cut three times before stitching it up, declined any kind of painkiller and then announced I was going back to work to finish my shift...  ::D:

Most of the time when I'm at the dentist, the anesthetic wears off right in the middle of whatever he's doing (including nine root canals, lol) and I don't bother to stop him. My mother used to tell me that when I was a baby I had a series of inner-ear infections so bad that my ears bled and I'd end up in the hospital with convulsions from high fevers... But I never cried even once. :wacko:

Plus, the summer I turned 13 I ran the lawnmower over an underground hornet's nest and got stung about 50 times all over my legs, while I had a terminal case of poison ivy. And then after that went away and the poison ivy was almost gone, I caught the poison ivy again and then caught the chicken pox at the same time... ::D:  Thirty years later, I still have no hair on most of my legs. So I can imagine a hell of a lot of pain... ::D:

I... probably have a... very skewed idea... of how painful pain actually is.

I've tried to drive in Boston a few times.

Now, I know better. :blink:

I don't mind driving in Boston - I just make eye contact with the other drivers and give them my best "Hi, I'm from CT and I LIKE driving in Boston" smile... It generally scares the hell out of them and they drive very respectfully around me, lol.

When I lived in Vermont, I would pull off the road at the first chance when I saw Massachusetts Plates in front, or behind me.

They NEVER used their signals for left or right turns, (saving the bulb life maybe?);

and they ignored all the signs.  I really would freak out when they showed up in Leaf Freak Season !

There's a reason Massachussetts drivers are call MA-ssholes... ::D:

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 6

Good Afternoon Mini Addicts.

It is getting colder here and it is raining, on our borders we already spotted snow.

My mood is getting down with the temperatures, since I ..to put it mildly.. HATE winter like the plague.

The only good thing about winter is ...ehhh. ..welll... NOTHING :zombie: :zombie: :zombie: :zombie:

Thx, needed to get that off my chest..

Hope you Reaperites are all ok.

I just gave myself the worst paper cut ever. :zombie: :zombie: :zombie: :zombie:

Not to be dramatic, but it was nice knowing all of you.

Guindy  NNOOOOO!!!!!!

Quick the acidproof band aid..Careful, she will bite!!!! ***CHOMP!!!!**** Darn. I warned you!! MEDIC!!!!!

We need an new band aid and a new nurse..

Hang in there Guindy.. ***What? No I'm not going near those mouths..YOU do it!!!...***

Guindy you want a Batman band aid or a Simpsons one? We're all out of the Alien ones..

Electricity problem solved thx to Brother In Law ( technically not in law since my girl and I live together, but what the h*ck)

Passed the test today So tomorrow "normal work" and trying to find that darn receipt.

I noticed nobody is glittered yet..nice to see we can all be civil..

Jetpack on. Flies overhead. Notices barbarian and prismatic wolf. hesitates. Decision made. Flyby dandruff-cropping on the prismatic wolf.

AACCCHOOOO.... **** Sneezes the attack away in the direction of some innocent bystanders..**** oops sorry...

Snnrrffff.. Ahhh, that's better.

Now when will this jetpacked Platypus learn we're in the same House?

Acchooo snrf...pfff... I need water...

. For reference, when I was in Tae Kwon Do, I got kicked in the fork more than once. On one particular occasion, a black belt thought he was hitting my side and wanted to teach me a lesson about maintaining my guard so he didn't pull his kick at all (he knew it'd sting but not actually hurt me)... except he'd caught the inside of my leg, not the outside, so I got hit full-force by a kick to the fork from a black belt. Not only was I able to continue sparring, I was in good enough shape I actually tagged him in the head 

As a fellow martial artist, I am not impressed, not with you, but with the black belt. Always know exactly where you are hitting. Both for partner safety in class, and for maximum effect outside of it.

I haven't seen that in such a long time. Still just as good (bad?)

Couldn't agree more...

If you can't place your kicks where you want them, then think about the belt colour and start training more..

• Like 10

Freaking leek polka!!! I haven't seen that in forever. Now it's super stuck in my head, thanks! ::P:

And yeah, that particular Vocaloid video sounds kind of... off, but I have friends who are into anime and Hatsune Miku is this huge deal! They actually hold concerts and put up this projection of her and everything! 

• Like 6