Randomness VII: The Randomness Awakens

Froggy the Great

• Replies 15.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

. For reference, when I was in Tae Kwon Do, I got kicked in the fork more than once. On one particular occasion, a black belt thought he was hitting my side and wanted to teach me a lesson about maintaining my guard so he didn't pull his kick at all (he knew it'd sting but not actually hurt me)... except he'd caught the inside of my leg, not the outside, so I got hit full-force by a kick to the fork from a black belt. Not only was I able to continue sparring, I was in good enough shape I actually tagged him in the head 

As a fellow martial artist, I am not impressed, not with you, but with the black belt. Always know exactly where you are hitting. Both for partner safety in class, and for maximum effect outside of it.

Couldn't agree more...

If you can't place your kicks where you want them, then think about the belt colour and start training more..

To be fair to this guy, he'd just come back from a multi-year absence. He'd been back just long enough to relearn how to hit at his old strength but his control was still not 100% back... He had perfect control at normal speed but I was at that point the second-fastest in the club, and third-best at sparring, and I was helping him relearn control at high speeds. ::): I just wish he'd relearned that control slightly faster, is all. :lol: 

Also: Despite what the club probably sounds like from that incident, the no-contact rule was taken very seriously. We were so careful about it that the parents in the group who brought along their kids were 100% comfortable with us sparring with their 5-12yo kids because they knew the kids would never even be touched, let alone hurt. (The kids loved fighting us too because they knew they could go as hard as they wanted and not risk hurting us, and we'd give them good instruction as we went.) There was just a small group of guys ranging from 17 to 30 years old who were all tough (mostly farm kids), and we didn't mind cutting loose a bit with each other every once in a while, if both people in the match were interested. We'd still go no-contact most of the time so we could practice control. It was just fun to be goofy with each other sometimes. :;): 

• Like 7

. For reference, when I was in Tae Kwon Do, I got kicked in the fork more than once. On one particular occasion, a black belt thought he was hitting my side and wanted to teach me a lesson about maintaining my guard so he didn't pull his kick at all (he knew it'd sting but not actually hurt me)... except he'd caught the inside of my leg, not the outside, so I got hit full-force by a kick to the fork from a black belt. Not only was I able to continue sparring, I was in good enough shape I actually tagged him in the head 

As a fellow martial artist, I am not impressed, not with you, but with the black belt. Always know exactly where you are hitting. Both for partner safety in class, and for maximum effect outside of it.

Couldn't agree more...

If you can't place your kicks where you want them, then think about the belt colour and start training more..

To be fair to this guy, he'd just come back from a multi-year absence. He'd been back just long enough to relearn how to hit at his old strength but his control was still not 100% back... He had perfect control at normal speed but I was at that point the second-fastest in the club, and third-best at sparring, and I was helping him relearn control at high speeds. ::): I just wish he'd relearned that control slightly faster, is all. :lol:

Also: Despite what the club probably sounds like from that incident, the no-contact rule was taken very seriously. We were so careful about it that the parents in the group who brought along their kids were 100% comfortable with us sparring with their 5-12yo kids because they knew the kids would never even be touched, let alone hurt. (The kids loved fighting us too because they knew they could go as hard as they wanted and not risk hurting us, and we'd give them good instruction as we went.) There was just a small group of guys ranging from 17 to 30 years old who were all tough (mostly farm kids), and we didn't mind cutting loose a bit with each other every once in a while, if both people in the match were interested. We'd still go no-contact most of the time so we could practice control. It was just fun to be goofy with each other sometimes. :;):

That I get.

I actually trained full contact.. MMA / Kickboxing and such.

I once almost knocked a sparring partner out. We were training for a match, we practiced high kicks to the head.

We took turns kicking while the other one would get his cover up.

Suddenly he lowered his cover while I landed my kick. I could just hold my strength somewhat at the last moment , but it was not pleasant.

We were lucky we were both trained for full contact matches.

When I think of the blows I endured during those days, I don't think I could take those now.

• Like 6

Grrr. Stupid quote button isn't working over hotel wifi right now. :angry:

@OneBoot: Is Brazilian Jiu-jitsu the same thing as Capoeira? I always thought that might be a fun way to learn a martial art, but it's one of those things I kept putting off until I was in good enough shape to survive trying it. (Sadly, I am  still basically a couch potato. :down: )

• Like 5

Grrr. Stupid quote button isn't working over hotel wifi right now. :angry:

@OneBoot: Is Brazilian Jiu-jitsu the same thing as Capoeira? I always thought that might be a fun way to learn a martial art, but it's one of those things I kept putting off until I was in good enough shape to survive trying it. (Sadly, I am  still basically a couch potato. :down: )

I know Iḿ not Oneboot, but no, those are not the same.

• Like 7

Good Afternoon Mini Addicts.

It is getting colder here and it is raining, on our borders we already spotted snow.

My mood is getting down with the temperatures, since I ..to put it mildly.. HATE winter like the plague.

The only good thing about winter is ...ehhh. ..welll... NOTHING :zombie: :zombie: :zombie: :zombie:

Thx, needed to get that off my chest..

Hope you Reaperites are all ok.

I just gave myself the worst paper cut ever. :zombie: :zombie: :zombie: :zombie:

Not to be dramatic, but it was nice knowing all of you.

Guindy  NNOOOOO!!!!!!

Quick the acidproof band aid..Careful, she will bite!!!! ***CHOMP!!!!**** Darn. I warned you!! MEDIC!!!!!

We need an new band aid and a new nurse..

Hang in there Guindy.. ***What? No I'm not going near those mouths..YOU do it!!!...***

Guindy you want a Batman band aid or a Simpsons one? We're all out of the Alien ones..

The Batman one, obviously.

Take care of yourself through the winter months... the worst of my depression doesn't usually kick in until Thanksgiving, but a lot of people are affected just by the change in seasons.

I know we're big on the silly around here, but if you find your mood is lower than just "I don't like the cold" make sure you talk to someone you trust and/or a doctor.

My anxiety often prevents me from communicating properly how I'm feeling to the people around me, but I'm very lucky to have certain friends who know the signs when I'm not doing well and that's important for anyone to have.

• Like 11

Good Afternoon Mini Addicts.

It is getting colder here and it is raining, on our borders we already spotted snow.

My mood is getting down with the temperatures, since I ..to put it mildly.. HATE winter like the plague.

The only good thing about winter is ...ehhh. ..welll... NOTHING :zombie: :zombie: :zombie: :zombie:

Thx, needed to get that off my chest..

Hope you Reaperites are all ok.

I just gave myself the worst paper cut ever. :zombie: :zombie: :zombie: :zombie:

Not to be dramatic, but it was nice knowing all of you.

Guindy  NNOOOOO!!!!!!

Quick the acidproof band aid..Careful, she will bite!!!! ***CHOMP!!!!**** Darn. I warned you!! MEDIC!!!!!

We need an new band aid and a new nurse..

Hang in there Guindy.. ***What? No I'm not going near those mouths..YOU do it!!!...***

Guindy you want a Batman band aid or a Simpsons one? We're all out of the Alien ones..

The Batman one, obviously.

Take care of yourself through the winter months... the worst of my depression doesn't usually kick in until Thanksgiving, but a lot of people are affected just by the change in seasons.

I know we're big on the silly around here, but if you find your mood is lower than just "I don't like the cold" make sure you talk to someone you trust and/or a doctor.

My anxiety often prevents me from communicating properly how I'm feeling to the people around me, but I'm very lucky to have certain friends who know the signs when I'm not doing well and that's important for anyone to have.

Thx, I can handle it, I just hate winters..

If I had my way and could afford it, we would spend the winter in a sunny place.

A Little tip, UV lights ( the real ones emulating sunlight) will help against the Winter Blues.

• Like 9

If I had my way and could afford it, we would spend the winter in a sunny place.

A Little tip, UV lights ( the real ones emulating sunlight) will help against the Winter Blues.

More painting under the ott-lites!

• Like 7

More painting under the ott-lites!

You got it!!!

In a few minutes the workday is over..

Heading home, Family, dog and dinner ::P:

• Like 8