Sign in to follow this  
knarthex

So What Have you Read Lately? And other favorite books!

All in all, a pleasant evening on the back deck:

IMG_20180726_191419999_HDR.thumb.jpg.a5b5f6799b0397c7acfd27cff4d40ee7.jpg

The beer is an old stand-by, well known to many and easily found if you're somewhere in North America.

The book is a really fascinating look at island biology and AI development, set against a starry background. It's like a less violent "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" (Heinlein) hooked up with a less farcical "Galapagos" (Vonnegut). I'm about 3/4 through and enjoying it thoroughly.

• Like 4

51dtuE3rFkL.jpg

A light and entertaining read including a napalm eating unicorn, and pixie dust highs, what more could you ask for….. how about a bit of romance, unrequited lust and a gorgon/succubus orgy (well the aftermath anyway)

anyway if you enjoy this they author has several others in the same vein

Edited by Orlando_the_Technicoloured
  • Like 1

I just finished reading "Leaders eat last" by Simon Sinek, it was excellent.  Highly recommend it to anyone in a leadership position, I would love for it to be recommended reading for managers.

Edited by Citrine
Grammar
  • Like 1

On 6/21/2018 at 6:40 AM, Doug Sundseth said:

For anyone who likes Hornblower-style fiction in an SF universe*, I'll mention David Drake's Daniel Leary series (I recently finished the latest) and A. Bertram Chandler's John Grimes series. The former is current while the latter is 35-ish years old now.

* I don't really see the Harrington books to be in that genre, though. The politics and details of the wars take too much of the front of the stage for that style. Which is not to say that I dislike Weber's stuff, just that it's a different genre.

Picked up the first one this morning on Kindle as its free. :D

• Like 1

A few days ago, this happened:

IMG_20180730_183259567_HDR.thumb.jpg.ce0af0f7ff5a33dbf3601dfde940a4cb.jpg

Starts out looking like it'll be an (unfortunately rather typical) noble-savage romance romp of the do-I-want-him-or-him variety. Happy to say it turned out to be much more interesting than that. A bit of intrigue, a pleasure-planet allowed to go feral, a telepathic puma... It's got a lot of different things going on. Enjoyable Summer reading, though not much more than that. There's a sequel, which I am reading now.

And I also did this:

IMG_20180807_181747259_BURST000_COVER.thumb.jpg.2eee7e01bed8b35de7dc08d375aa551e.jpg

If you enjoyed "Ready Player One," you'll be disappointed that Cline failed to balance the fanboyism and plot as well here. Whether you enjoyed RPO or not, you'll be disappointed that such author-insertive, disjointed, played-out drivel made it past an editor. At least it will make money as a movie (and one is apparently already in the works), but as a book, it's sadly lacking.  

And tomorrow I start rehearsals for the next show, so reading leisure is likely to come to an end...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, etherial said:

I appreciate the recommended beer pairings.

I really really hated "hell or high watermelon" but then I'm not a fan of fruity beers in general.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Crowley said:

I really really hated "hell or high watermelon" but then I'm not a fan of fruity beers in general.

I also don't usually like fruity beers, but a friend left a few of these over at my house, so... Why not. I ended up liking the beer far more than the book, which was a disappointing reversal.

Edited by Sanael
Typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sanael said:

I also don't usually like fruity beers, but a friend left a few of these over at my house, so... Why not. I ended up liking the beer far more than the book, which was a disappointing reversal.

I caught this while skimming the unread threads, and immediately thought to myself "Man, who doesn't like Gummi Bears?" :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ok, some time for light reading while waiting for dinner to finish up in the oven.

IMG_20180809_182427579_HDR.thumb.jpg.e124d1345c3116a1a02d65a851d3be17.jpg

The beer is an IPA, made with the quality expected of Dogfish Head. So, if you like those, or them, it's a good beer. 

Rucka's "Lazarus" is a nice near-future corporate-military dystopian tale centered on Forever, the Carlyle family's Lazarus, a nigh-immortal super-soldier engaged in espionage and counter-terrorism against the Hock family and their allies. She soon learns, despite the indoctrination of her upbringing, the Carlyle might not be the benevolent rulers she believed. Nice sword fights and gun-fu, also some very tense non-violent moments.

"Shutter" follows Kate Kristopher, the last in a line of Gentlefolk Adventurers, as she learns there's more to her heritage than she thought. When you already know your heritage includes evil crocodile bellhops, birthday trips to the Moon, AND airship-deck gunfights with cthulu-plants...well, you know the *surprises* are gonna get interesting.

Plus, y'know: punk rock kitsune samurai bounty hunter on a triceratops.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think we may need a new thread titled either: "Books to read while enjoying a drink" or "Drinks to imbibe while enjoying a book".

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I don't always drink while I read, nor do I always read when I drink. But I see no reason not to do both when the opportunity arises.

But...that's what I do. I drink, and I read things.

...ok, that's not all I do. But it was too good to pass up.

• Like 8

Just finished Drew Hayes's Super Powereds series. Characterization is decent, writing is fair, but plotting is excellent. If your interest is in well-crafted prose, probably not the series for you, but I've never cared as much about that as the story, so I thought it was excellent -- as witness my listening to the last 10 hours of the 60-hour (!) fourth book in one batch.

If you're interested, it looks like the the full text of Year 4 is available on the author's website here: http://www.drewhayesnovels.com/spy4index

And even though it's available for free, I don't regret my buying the Audible version at all.

• Like 1

Just finished the Infinity: Outrage manga and now starting the last novel of the Judge Dee series. I am already a bit sad to know it will end soon. But that's okay. Haha.

Found a novel on the story of Rheingold when I was in Frankfurt a few weeks ago, and then there are like 40 more mangas of the Ah! Megami-sama series (Oh! My Goddess!) I still have to read as well as the Romance of Three Kingdoms translation that was published in Germany last year. But still ... *sniff* ... I'll miss the Judge and his companions.

• Like 1