Sign in to follow this  
RustyRanger

Gold paint doesnt want to stick

Hey all,

I've noticed something with my Citadel Auric Armour Gold. When applied, even over primer, it doesn't seem to want to stick. It kind of moves if I go back over it at all, and leaves streaks. Anyone experience this, am I doing something wrong?

Please provide a little more detail.  What sort of primer, on what material?  Is the paint drying?  Does it lift if painted over?  Is it beading up?  What do the streaks look like?

• Like 5

To add to Pingo's questions:

Have you used it before without this happening, or is this the first time you've used thei bottle?

Was it stirred or shaken?

Did you try letting it dry, and just applying a second coat?

• Like 1

Actually, I will chime in without the additional details. Because I've already experienced them.

The issue with Auric Armor Gold is a known one that many are experiencing. Just do a Google search and you will see what I mean.

I am having the same issue with it, and with Gehenna's Gold, as well.

Most people I've talked to are doing what I do: stir it up a lot, mix it on the pallet, or better yet, mix it on a paper towel - that seems to drain some of the liquid, leaving more pigment on the brush - and use it primarily for drybrushing highlights. It's not going to be your base color.

Again, if you Google this, you will see people recommending you use Auric for highlights, and move to Vallejo Glorious Gold. I personally, have also had good experiences with Glorious Gold, and with an Army Painter equivalent whose name escapes me at the moment.

• Like 4

Actually, I will chime in without the additional details. Because I've already experienced them.

The issue with Auric Armor Gold is a known one that many are experiencing. Just do a Google search and you will see what I mean.

I am having the same issue with it, and with Gehenna's Gold, as well.

Most people I've talked to are doing what I do: stir it up a lot, mix it on the pallet, or better yet, mix it on a paper towel - that seems to drain some of the liquid, leaving more pigment on the brush - and use it primarily for drybrushing highlights. It's not going to be your base color.

Again, if you Google this, you will see people recommending you use Auric for highlights, and move to Vallejo Glorious Gold. I personally, have also had good experiences with Glorious Gold, and with an Army Painter equivalent whose name escapes me at the moment.

Thanks for the advice! So it's not just me.. I'll give that a shot!

• Like 3

I would recommend the Scale 75 gold paints. They stick in one layer.

What he said!!!!!!

The stuff is like magic!

8)

George

• Like 2

Apply a layer of snakebite leather first, and the a quick highlight of silver. Then paint on the gold. Also, thin the gold with a bit of water. You can shade with some sepia or earthshade.

• Like 2

If you're stuck with citadel paints like I am, (I could order from amazon but there is a GW just around the corner so eh...) Try their new gold paints, Retributor Armor and Liberator Gold. Retributor is quite a bit less vibrant, than auric armor, and a more brownish gold. Liberator is a silvery gold color. They both seem to have a lot more pigment in them than GW's older golds and stick really well in 1 coat, even thinned. Retributor in particular covers really well, and I love the color.

• Like 1