After working on the Young Lady in Waiting with puppy in showoffs Forum,

I decided I needed to do something larger and a dwarf

looks like it fills the the need.  I see horns on a helmet and I shudder (Norwegians tend to go nuts with that imagery),

but since it is on a dwarf, I'll go with the flow.  This is a detailed mini, lots of furs, metal, and very dynamic.

I'm going to go for it.  Oh, I've already designed a base for him in my head.. another challenge !

Here is what he looks like prior to priming, and lining.

I intend to take my time on this.

post-12655-0-33771900-1442001201.jpg

post-12655-0-78547200-1442001201.jpg

• Like 5
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm tending toward HIGH Dwarf, as opposed to a low level Dwarf.

Lots of golds, silvers, Reds, and basically high contrast, with an Red beard.

I want to push this one "Over The Edge" as it were.

Don't know if I can do it; but I'm willing to give it a try.

:unsure:

• Like 1

I'm tending toward HIGH Dwarf, as opposed to a low level Dwarf.

Lots of golds, silvers, Reds, and basically high contrast, with an Red beard.

I want to push this one "Over The Edge" as it were.

Don't know if I can do it; but I'm willing to give it a try.

:unsure:

Sounds great!

I'm pretty good with red hair now. If you have questions let me know. :)

• Like 1

After working on the Young Lady in Waiting with puppy in showoffs Forum,

I decided I needed to do something larger and a dwarf

looks like it fills the the need.  I see horns on a helmet and I shudder (Norwegians tend to go nuts with that imagery),

but since it is on a dwarf, I'll go with the flow.  This is a detailed mini, lots of furs, metal, and very dynamic.

I'm going to go for it.  Oh, I've already designed a base for him in my head.. another challenge !

Here is what he looks like prior to priming, and lining.

I intend to take my time on this.

Can't Wait to see him progress!

Just don't change gears halfway through and make the horns Bananas!

I think anyone with Scandinavian ancestry that knows anything about Vikings shudders at that Hollywood myth...

(Mom is a Swede)

8)

George

• Like 2

Here he is primed, and brown lined.

I tend to be extremely finicky when I prime, and especially when I "line"... I really don't line.

I put on a smooth brown liner layer, and filling every crack, any area that I can see and get my brush into.

I do this for a simple reason.  If I want to show light I MUST have a dark area available.

Now when I layer in a color I can allow the brown to leak through around joints, or areas I want to be

in shadow..its already there.  Then build up my middle tones.  If I am careful and watching what I am doing;

I'll start getting that sculpted feeling that I am always looking for when I paint.

Thought I should explain what I am up to here.

Here is the Dwarf Fighter:

post-12655-0-41750700-1442081312.jpg

post-12655-0-87641100-1442081312.jpg

• Like 3

It got quiet around here, and I made a mad dash for my painting desk.

I've had a solid amount of time with NO interruptions, or phone calls.

Must be the thunderstorm coming in (everyone is at the store getting eggs, milk, cheese, nacho's, ice-cream, donuts/pastries)..

So I got to do some serious painting for a while.  I mentioned my habit of putting a layer of brown liner down.

Well, here is how I use it.  I have applied rusty red, (four layers), several layers of flesh, three layers of walnut brown to fur, and two

layers of Mahogany brown to the cloth of cloak.  Notice how it is getting a real (to me anyway) look of being multi-dimensional.

I think this gives me a jump start on painting the mini.

Feel free to comment:

post-12655-0-86741400-1442090359.jpg

post-12655-0-34691300-1442090360.jpg

post-12655-0-82507800-1442090360.jpg

post-12655-0-33714500-1442090361.jpg

• Like 7

I think anyone with Scandinavian ancestry that knows anything about Vikings shudders at that Hollywood myth...

(Mom is a Swede)

8)

George

The Fruit Viking will steal your secrets!

• Like 1

(Mom is a Swede)

8)

George

The Fruit Viking will steal your secrets!

I also am half Scandinavian (Norwegian)...LOL

I don't know if George speaks Swedish though.

I speak Norwegian...as my English shows on here sometimes..Chuckle.

• Like 1

I am glad my input has finally sunk in and you are making liberal us of the awesome Orange color spectrum for his hair!  (some prople, wrongfully I might add, would think that it is red hair)

I also agree with the brown liner not only priming the model but giving you a good start on shading.

Edited by robinh
  • Like 2

Oh Oh, it's happened again !

I've got another great sculpt on my hands.  I thought it might be;

but wasn't too sure.  I just spent more than an hour SLOWLY painting, adding color

washes to the figure, and experimenting.  OMG.. I LIKE it !

Just adding base color to furs, mid-toning, and experemting on cloak.

Touch of Highlighting going on. 

Here are some photos, they are low in size, like 70K each.

Whatcha think ?

post-12655-0-29071900-1442156626_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-88986900-1442156626.jpg

post-12655-0-32712000-1442156627.jpg

post-12655-0-79562100-1442156627.jpg

post-12655-0-24795000-1442156628.jpg

• Like 5

the cloak is good.  I think the fur needs a touch of white on the tips of the hairs though.  Based on my monitor the fur edging is more of a yellow brown still and does not read as fur.  It needs some white or darker colors maybe (if you are going for brown fur).

• Like 1

robinh;

That's the first coat on the furs...lol...

I've got TON'S of stuff to do on this one.

I want some black and grey fur, and some brown and orange-ish fur too !

Might do that on the boot-fur...

That axe handle is difficult to maneuver around also !

He may get a metal gray jerkin with golden armor... gotta get the base coats on.

Thanks again !

Jay

• Like 1

Good Grief;

I take a day off from painting, and it is like I need to take a course in photography,

and miniature painting all over again.  Just couldn't find my grove for quite some time,

finally fell into it.  Arghhhh..

So I did some mixing, and applying, raising and lowering contrasts.  I think I am happy with the cloak and its fur, but I may

enhance the darker shadows when I get the armor and boots in.  I gave him a metallic shirt which is playing with the camera at the moment.

It will work out once I balance around it.

Here's the dwarf with a little more color.

post-12655-0-01932900-1442336476.jpg

post-12655-0-54205400-1442336476_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-17633600-1442336477.jpg

• Like 2