Sign in to follow this  
Komplex

Starmane - The Quest for a Suitably Fancy Horse...

In my Pathfinder group, I have a paladin who is fast approaching level 5, and I've decided that she'll be getting a nice shiny mount as her Divine Bond. As such, the quest for a mini began. 

While Reaper has a nice bundle of horses, I couldn't find anything that was quite right for my pally, so I ended up grabbing Starmane and commencing a conversion. 

02151_w_1.jpg

Starmane I originally bought to convert into a centaur, but I hadn't got round to it and then I decided he was just too pretty to chop up to that degree... But I've not got a lot of use for unicorns. So instead, he got adopted for my pally, and first things first, his horn had to go. 

11990457_10153319519673451_8727455957972

Much angry filing later, I had something I could live with. Don't mind my grotty nails, I get fluff lodged under them from the insides of my gloves at work, so they always look dire, haha. 

And then I broke out my green stuff. So far, I've only used GS for a little bit of basing interest on Ebonwrath, and on a belt buckle for a cosplay I was doing, so nothing small and fine, really. Armed with my trusty mechanical pencil, I started working on a saddle, bridle, and some other little details for my pally's dear horse, who I have already named Keldoron.

11986606_10153330648698451_6016693505314

I have now ordered some actual sculpting tools, because... Erghhh, my pencil is not the best thing xD though it's served me admirably, all things considered. No doubt I'll still use it from time to time too, and I think my next sculpting purchase will likely be Army Painter's set of tools, for more precision and stuff. 

The horse is now sprayed, so I'll be LGS'ing to smooth bits and out and reform a bit, and then on to the painting! So m'afraid this will likely be a very short WIP thread, but I kind of couldn't resist ^^; 

Once he's painted though, I can't decide what to do with his reins... Do I put some wire on for them? Do I glue some string on? I know not. 

:S

Edited by Komplex
  • Like 17

Lovely work... although I rather like the idea of a Unicorn as a female paladin's mount...

• Like 3

Lovely work... although I rather like the idea of a Unicorn as a female paladin's mount...

Thanks =] 

It was kind of tempting, but for low level... Perhaps not, haha. Maybe when she's higher level, I shall revisit this one, and get her a nice new unicorn and improved sculpting skills.

• Like 5

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! Creation is so exciting!

^_^ It's kind of addictive, hah

12009770_10153330897223451_1244286709981

LGS'd the saddle to smooth it out a bit and stuff, and also LGS'd the hooves to get rid of the cloven look. I've also started putting a brown base on, because... I dunno, painting this is gonna be an odd one. Gonna go hunt some new paint for him tomorrow =] 

• Like 13

That's top notch!  I believe that's the same 'corn I used to make a hippogryph (knocked off the front of a griffon for the head/wings).  He's a gorgeous mount!

• Like 1

That's top notch!  I believe that's the same 'corn I used to make a hippogryph (knocked off the front of a griffon for the head/wings).  He's a gorgeous mount!

Thanks! ^_^

And that sounds actually awesome - got any photos? :O 

• Like 1

To be honest, all you really need to level-up your sculpting is a dull hobby knife and a couple pieces of stiff steel wire in different sizes with the ends filed down into various shapes of blades and flat surfaces... And remember to keep your tools lubricated so that they slide over the putty instead of dragging it through friction...

• Like 5

To be honest, all you really need to level-up your sculpting is a dull hobby knife and a couple pieces of stiff steel wire in different sizes with the ends filed down into various shapes of blades and flat surfaces... And remember to keep your tools lubricated so that they slide over the putty instead of dragging it through friction...

All my hobby knives are dull, haha - but yeah, I ordered a couple of shaper tools, only cheap so no big deal =] I'll neaten up some wire and see how that feels when I can be bothered to find the coil of the stuff I have lurking around here. As far as keeping tools lubricated, I'm a chronic licker of tools ^^;

I love this project!

Thank you ^_^ 

• Like 2

A pencil eraser might be useful too...

• Like 1

A pencil eraser might be useful too...

Perhaps =P 

Awaiting my tools atm - cheap amazon order, ftw!

-

Update time!

Today, I went and bought new paints, because good lawd I had like no yellows, at all, and I wanted this wee bugger to be a palomino.

12011367_10153333771508451_1352721388717

He now looks like this. I finished coating him in the P3 bloodtracker brown, got really annoyed, then dumped a load of Menoth White Highlight all over his mane and tail, and I gave him socks too. Originally, these were brown too, and I was gonna drybrush them back up, but... Nah. It wasn't working out for me, so now they're just super Menothy and I'll tackle them properly a bit later. 

I picked up a whole bundle of Citadel paints today, including Zamesi Desert, which is the main colour on him now, and I also grabbed a couple of glazes, including Lamenter's Yellow. The side of his neck has been warmed up with said glaze, and I really like the result, but I need to go over him a bunch more with Zamesi to get more even coverage before I go too cray cray with the glaze, because otherwise... Erh. 

I'm liking him a lot better now that he's even remotely close to the colour I was hoping he'd be. 

I have a super cheap posable USB LED light also which is what is lighting him enough to be photographed, and that I will admit is giving the photographs a really odd cast. My phone is just like: White balance?! WHITE BALANCE?!?!

Heh. 

• Like 10

FANTASTIC modification! Now I want to get a unicorn to make a horse with!  :wow:

<3 thank you! 

Unicorns have just... Such dramatic hair xD s'what made this appeal to me so much, I thinkest. 

• Like 4