Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
By Chris Palmer
This past week I painted the Female Devil "Tormentor" figure from the Bones 4 Bedeviled group from the Core Set. During the run of the Kickstarter, there were folks in the Bones 4 Enthusiasm who where considering the possibilities of converting the larger Rulers of Hell figure set into some sort of Forest King and Queen creatures by removing their wings and skull iconography. With the cloven hooves and horns I could see how easily this could be done. And, while I didn't get that set, I did get the smaller sized Bedeviled group that came in the Core Set. Looking at the female figure in that set, it seemed to me that she too would be an easy conversion to make into some sort of Faun-like Forest Creature.
Photos linked for nudity.
For my full conversion and painting article, see: http://allbonesabout.blogspot.com/2019/06/tormentor-female-devil-to-forest.html
Hi everyone, Now that the contest is over, here are more pictures of my converted 77038, Hell Hound. The original sculpt is by Ben Siens. This was my entry in Reaper's Facebook Convert and Paint contest. Khan is my elf riding dog in our D&D campaign. The contest was the perfect pretexte to make this conversion. I first removed all the spikes and flames on the hound's back. I then built the armor and saddle using green stuff and a paperclip. The chest is from Reaper's 02638, adventuring accessories. There were amazing entries in the contest and I managed to get an honorable mention. Thanks to Reaper miniatures and Matthew Clark for organizing this contest.
I put two entries into the recent Reaper Facebook Convert and Paint contest. This first one didn't get many votes, which doesn't surprise me as I think not too many people knew what it was and it was on the weirder side. Plus the paint job itself was kind of bland. But I like the idea of it because of what it is. It is a tikbalang - a malevolent, mythical Filipino creature that leads travelers astray or plays tricks on them. It has a horse's head, a bony body, and long, disproportioned limbs.
I used these minis to make it. The wendigo's head was chopped off. Then I took the head of the Silverhorn, removed the horn and did some filing and sculpting to get it to join properly to the body of the wendigo. Very minimal green stuff use outside of filling seams; I filled in the wendigo's hooves, which were cloven, and rebuilt a bit of the mane so it joined smoothly with the rest of the body.
And I saved the body of the unicorn. At some point I'll have to convert it into a centaur!
The Whispering Tyrant from the second Bones kickstarter. This is an officially licensed Pathfinder miniature. So I guess it is some sort of evil adversary in some adventure or other in that game.
For me, this is Loki. I expect you see why. To make the model even more similar to the trickster god, I cut off the central helment-thing and carved the helmet round. Which took me whole tens of seconds! Bones material is really easy to cut and convert. I will miss this aspect with the Bones Black minis.
On this mini I have tried out some new colorshift paints from Green Stuff World and a flip paint (which is supposed to get the same effect) from Instar.
I probably did not do it right, as I don't think it has much of a colorshifting effect (there is a slight effect, though). The instructions say to use a gloss black undercoat and many, many thin layers to get the effect.
I did not do that. On a brown basecoat I used GSW Mystic Gold colorshift, and Instar Green Gold Flip, with GSW Tropical Green at the tips and edges. and I just glooped it on! Two or three thick coats of each paint is used here. So next time, maybe I should try actually following the instructions...
Anyhow, this model will make a good leader for my undead legions, or even a C'Tan for the Necrons.
89031 Whispering Tyrant
Reaper Miniatures, Bones 2 KS 2013
Sculpted by Bobby Jackson
40mm round lipped base
By Chris Palmer
While I love the Mossbeard Treeman figure from the Bones 4 Kickstarter, it always bothered me a little that his arms, as sculpted, grew from narrower at the shoulder to thicker at the wrist. This just looked unnatural to me since both branches and arms tend to grow from thicker at the shoulders to thinner near the ends.
So this week I began working n revering his arms, so they would connect to his body in a more natural, to my eye, arrangement.
I began by slicing off the existing external connector pegs. This was made easier by soaking them in boiling water for 30-40 seconds (As Ed Pugh suggested to do with the Chicken Hut legs on a recent Reaper Live), after which it was a breeze to slice right through them.
I then glued the pegs I had cut off back into the holes they were intended to go into to full those holes. After the glue was set, I drilled some holes in the shoulder connections to peg them with sections of doweling. After that, I glued the hands to the new wrist joints.
My next step is to blend the hands to the wrists with some greenstuff, and then I'll glue the arms in place.
Who's Online 40 Members, 2 Anonymous, 79 Guests (See full list)
- Doug Sundseth
- Darsc Zacal
- Xiwo Xerase
- Lidless Eye
- Al Capwn