Sign in to follow this  
VolksFest

Tiviel on lava base

Hello all,

This is my first time in WIP area therefore I am rather excited  :blush:

Secondly I will be trying many new stuff and therefore truly in terra incognita here  :unsure:

So, here goes nothing:

I started with the base since I want a lava base and I want the rocky surface I will place my mini to reflect light coming from the lava.

post-13470-0-83538700-1442162842_thumb.jpg

I chose Vallejo Black Lava for my lava surface but regretted afterwards since I want still molten lava not cooled off lava that is more suitable for Black Lava.. However this is all I have and my local store is out of stuff like white/grey pumice :( 

post-13470-0-47993800-1442163014_thumb.jpg

But, I will try working with what I have and try to get a realistic look. 

post-13470-0-34780600-1442163037_thumb.jpg

This is all I have for now. Your comments are eagerly awaited and will be appreciated immensely since I really dont know what I'm doing :))) 

• Like 11

What you have is a nice texture for lava. Just paint it white. a really bright white, then do a heavy dry brush of orange, making sure to leave some white showing, then a dry brush of red on the tippy tops. Leaving some orange showing. For the cork. Paint it black, dry brush dark brown, dry brush a mid brown, dry brush a light brown. It'll look like she's on a piece of floating cooled lava. Here's what it'll look like. http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/57143-77119-sinessa-hell-born-sorceress/

I haven't tried OSL yet for the reflective surface you want, but I'm sure someone will be around to take you through that process.

Hope that helps.

Edited by tiniest rhombus
  • Like 4

Looks good thus far.  Are you intending the chunk to be sort of an island of rock in the stream of lava?  The superlatively diminutive geometroid has the right idea--although I'd probably work in some washes too.

• Like 4

Looks good thus far. Are you intending the chunk to be sort of an island of rock in the stream of lava? The superlatively diminutive geometroid has the right idea--although I'd probably work in some washes too.

Yes! Washes I forgot that part. Although to be honest I don't exactly remember what washes I used. It's been like 2 years. Also yellow before orange.

If I'm remembering correctly, I did glazes of each color to smooth the transitions. So a glaze of the yellow after the orange was applied then a glaze of orange after the red, then I did a a controlled wash of the white in the deepest parts. I think.

Edited by tiniest rhombus
  • Like 3

I thank you all for your warm encouragements and great advice. All I could do for today was to prime the base white and tomorrow I hope to begin on the lava.

post-13470-0-11239900-1442255191_thumb.jpg

post-13470-0-89122300-1442255215_thumb.jpg

And yes, the cork is supposed to be an island or an out cropping of a rock that my mini will be standing on.. 

This is actually meant as practice for another piece I have in my queue, so the rock reflecting light from the lava is a pre-requisite :)

• Like 7

Good start... Looking forward to seeing how it goes. I did a lava base a while ago, and while it wasn't bad, I'd like to improve on it.

• Like 1

Hello again,

Got some paint on the model finally and made some progress on the base:

Started with some yellow and orange drybrushing, I used Fluo yellow from Vallejo for a brighter effect.. 

post-13470-0-01828000-1442752222_thumb.jpg

post-13470-0-70634400-1442752230_thumb.jpg

Then dry brushed beastie brown up to black.. 

post-13470-0-70590300-1442752239_thumb.jpg

post-13470-0-39289000-1442752248_thumb.jpg

Then I pasted the lava on top of the cork but decided to leave a few dentures to give the impression of 'not-still-cooled-parts' of lava.. I may decide to omit them all together, not sure yet.. 

post-13470-0-25428100-1442752257_thumb.jpg

post-13470-0-31268900-1442752266_thumb.jpg

And finally drybrushed to base of the cork brown and touched up some fire orange to get the OSL effect.. 

post-13470-0-19771300-1442752275_thumb.jpg

post-13470-0-10938500-1442752285_thumb.jpg

post-13470-0-97766200-1442752293_thumb.jpg

My photography, as usual is not great since I am just using my mobile to take the pictures and there is still much touching up left but I wanted to get your opinions and advice upto this point.

Thx in advance..

Edited by VolksFest
  • Like 7

So, after some travelling and being swamped in work, I finally got more paint on my mini..

First, I decided to add another cooled off bit of lava since I wasn't very very happy how my lava base's molten part turned out. Then I pinned my mini to the base and decided to leave off the base as it is.. for now..

post-13470-0-79918100-1443865537_thumb.jpg

post-13470-0-24902500-1443865547_thumb.jpg

Then I started on the eyes and after 30+ attempts I decided to leave it at its current state and moved on to the hair and horns.. They'll need a little more glazing and washing but this is what I got so far:

post-13470-0-24954000-1443865556_thumb.jpg

post-13470-0-67464700-1443865565_thumb.jpg

post-13470-0-00590200-1443865575_thumb.jpg

Thanks for C&C as always.. 

Edited by VolksFest
  • Like 9

Hello again,

AS I said on my first post, this mini will be my stage for many firsts. And NMM is another first for me..

So, I decided to do NMM on her blades (the boots are Vallejo Gungrey, Natural Steel and Silver):

post-13470-0-63198600-1444559801_thumb.jpg

post-13470-0-74317300-1444559808_thumb.jpg

post-13470-0-49407200-1444559815_thumb.jpg

post-13470-0-13090700-1444559823_thumb.jpg

So, the question really is how should the light reflect on these blades.. Can some one please put me in the right direction?

Edited by VolksFest
  • Like 10

Ok, so I've done some research (after I attempted my NMM, duh :unsure: ..) and came up with these:

post-13470-0-68342000-1444580107.jpg

post-13470-0-19643400-1444580109.jpg

post-13470-0-69173500-1444580110.jpg

So, in all the examples the middle part seems to be shine.. however my edges seem to be too dark.. and they don't seem real therefore.. any ideas?

Edited by VolksFest
  • Like 6

Sorry can't help with the NMM. She's looking very good so far and I love how your lava turned out. The little piece of cork you added made a huge difference. It's amazing how something so simple can bring a base together innit? 

• Like 1

Sorry can't help with the NMM. She's looking very good so far and I love how your lava turned out. The little piece of cork you added made a huge difference. It's amazing how something so simple can bring a base together innit? 

Thank you for the encouragement. 

I am still trying to puzzle out how to make the blades "look and feel real". I think I'll goo with lighter gray edges.. What I have is way too dark.. 

Another thought is I might draw an imaginary line across the blades (as in the first two dagger images) and thus emphasize the NMM.. Hmmm..  :rock:

Edited by VolksFest
  • Like 1