Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
This is the Bones version. I used her for an experiment with Contrast paints. I think it worked ok, but the softer detail gave a less desired effect -- at least on the armor. I had to go over that again with an ink wash. The red came out very bright. Maybe I could have gone over that with ink, too, but I liked the vivid contrast. She is a vampire, after all. I drybrushed a little silver metal for highlights on her armor, looks good in hand, but the flash caught it and it looks like white spots in the pic.
By Doug Sundseth
Another Bones figure. I'm not entirely sure where the color scheme came from. I just started and it kind of grew.
This is a very annoying figure to paint. The hat brim is very wide and there's detail under it that is almost impossible to get to. The same is true of the beard. But the semi-random color scheme turned into something way outside what I usually paint, but in a good way.
Bones are great for experiments, because I don't feel like I have to obsess about every detail like I would for a competition piece. And I think my quality is going up as a result.
In 2018 I got one of my favourite 25th Anniversary miniatures, Darius the Blue. I actually have all three of Darius sculpts, the latest being my favourite too.
First I tried to paint it with the same mosaic pattern Reaper used, without any success, so I settled with... kind of a freehand that I didn't like at all and a very excentric color palette.
That (in my opinion) failed attempt got stuck on my head and recently I bought another one to paint it again, and I'm a lot happier with the results. This is my only "1 year improvement" pic, and I thought on sharing it here since being the exact same miniature I would love some feedback.
Here the 2018 version
And the 2019 version that I just finished today
Who's Online 9 Members, 0 Anonymous, 263 Guests (See full list)