Sign in to follow this  
canuckotter

Coptic-stitched notebook

Totally stealing this idea from Reaperbryan... I'm making my own notebook that I'll be using during Fantasy AGE sessions. I prepared the covers today - a thin(ish) sheet of maple, cut into two pieces. I left the raw edge on there because it amuses me, and I don't see a need for any better reason than that. :;): 

20150913_162546_zpslfpncbi5.jpg

And then I clamped the two pieces together with a piece of MDF behind, and drilled holes for the stitching:

20150913_191357_zpsdcctvhbm.jpg

The MDF was behind the back cover so I'd end up with a nice clean hole; without the backer piece, drill bits have a tendency to tear up the wood as they exit the back. 

Now I just need to find some thread and get stitchin'... oh, and find stain and stain the boards. That might be good too. Unfortunately, I have a specific stain I want to use (actually an oil/stain blend) that's only available in one store and I don't think I can get to the store before Saturday, because they close by 5 each night and they're almost a 45 minute drive from my office, so... slightly out of the range for a lunchtime trip.

• Like 8

Finished it up today! Now I just need to try using it to see how it works... ::): 

First: The book closed...

20150920_150846_zpsrntwieoc.jpg

And then the book opened up...

20150920_150945_zpsryimlanj.jpg

(I know, I should post this in Show Off but I'm going to use it for a bit and see how it works before I post there, in case I decide to cut it apart and try again or something.)

• Like 5

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By ShantyShakin
      I took this idea directly from DMGInfo and put a couple small twists to it based on what my home game players might like. Plus, I think they make pretty cool props for a dungeon that might be a library or wizard tower or whatever. It's an experiment, so the execution is a little sloppy on some of them, but I learned a lot so if I ever decide to do a new set (which I likely will) I can take what I learned to make a much better finished product. 

I started with craft sticks(popsicle sticks) cut into 1cm x 7mm pieces and used a cereal box for the book covers. On some of them, I cut up bits of the cereal box to add dimension. Superglue to keep it all together. 

In hindsight the cereal box I used was pretty cheap and wanted to warp and split into layers. Next time I may use a thin chipboard, or card stock.

Here they are all primed up, ready for paint. 

Some of the designs are just decorative, while others are leather straps and buckles that bind the whole book, metallic corners to help "protect" the covers' corners, etc.

I apologize for the dreadful lighting on these. I used the same acrylic paints I use on my minis. Next time I'll use craft paint because craft paints are thicker and go on thicker, which you definitely want. Spent a lot of time waiting for layers to dry. 

I used metallics for the raised bits on the finished ones above and I am pretty happy with the first set. 

The second set will have some more ambitious designs such as reptile scale book covers and:

an eye sculpted out of green stuff! The more I use it, the more I love it. It allows me to add all sorts of little details to things as well as fill gaps.

I'll post the finished shots once I get the last of them painted up. 

I hope you enjoyed this and are inspired to craft your own props for your dungeons/games. Happy Crafting!
    • By Durmald
      I really like this book.

• By Disciple of Sakura
      http://kck.st/2mr5iKg

An enormous wooden d20 capable of holding up to a pound of dice. I haven't got one of these yet, but I have gotten some other items from Munchkin Metropolis, and was really satisfied with how quickly the items were produced and arrived. Great quality, too.
    • By lexomatic
      I'm not really sure when I'll get to these, but I found a bunch of cheap sheets that I'm going to diy into mats for wargaming. As it is, they're fine (I got green, blue, and brown, and passed on a grey) . But I might sponge on some various paints for waves/ ice (double sided blue sheet) and various greens for the green sheet.
    • By lexomatic
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1926633625/tabletop-terrain-from-xps-foam-buildings

Saw about this via Black Magic Craft.
      31 Euro shipping for rest of the world will probably rule me out. I'm not sure I can find value in 85 euro all in for books and templates. That's a lot of supplies (I dont have room for).
  • Who's Online   39 Members, 1 Anonymous, 259 Guests (See full list)