Painting yellows, good shadow color?

I searched but only half heartdly.

I always have trouble painting yellows, I can't find suitable colors for mids and shadows. I've been using browns, oranges and yellows mixed together to get a color but it still doesn't look like a shadow to me. Here's what Im working on at the moment.

post-13476-0-04123400-1442325722_thumb.jpg

post-13476-0-29631900-1442325724_thumb.jpg

post-13476-0-92295300-1442325907_thumb.jpg

Edited by zemzero
  • Like 4

For yellow I use, 09134: Clotted Red, 09074: Palomino Gold  and 09039: Pure White

Mix Clotted Red and Palomino Gold for the base coat

For each high light add more Palomino Gold

Then pure Palomino Gold and finish with Palamino Gold and Pure white as the last high light

Purple is the complementary color for yellow, so a mixture of yellow and purple should work

as a shadow

Hope this helps

• Like 2

I love the ochre gold triad.  saffron sunset can also shade well.  There is nothing wrong with using a brown, green, orange or even purple.  Just remember the rule with shadows and highlights to keep you color looking "yellow" is to make them narrow- meaning they don't take up much real estate on your figure.  Use them sparingly and the contrast will pop!

So I may use a bright yellow, the a bit of shading into the ochres and something like intense or mahogany brown, highlighting with leather white.  here's Lana:

03683_p_2_corporea.jpg

• Like 6

I nearly always find myself going "hmmm....not quite right, but close" when doing shadows.  What's worked well for me rather than mixing some really odd color is to pick one (say in this case brown) and make a really thin wash.  Do a couple of washes, then go back and bring the brighter color back up.  Sometimes I go to another color for more layering & complexity, but sometimes it's the right color needing more work. Granted, I'm not a pro at shading, still doing a lot of learning, but I find working the colors back and forth works better for me than trying to peg it in one try.  So long as the layers are sufficiently thin, it doesn't cake up the mini.  I'm guessing other people are more practiced and can figure out exactly what to put in there, so it really depends on what works for you personally, but just to let you know, I was a much happier painter once I quit getting bummed that my first shadow wasn't right all by itself ::D:

Edited by Matbar
  • Like 1

I love the ochre gold triad.  saffron sunset can also shade well.  There is nothing wrong with using a brown, green, orange or even purple.  Just remember the rule with shadows and highlights to keep you color looking "yellow" is to make them narrow- meaning they don't take up much real estate on your figure.  Use them sparingly and the contrast will pop!

So I may use a bright yellow, the a bit of shading into the ochres and something like intense or mahogany brown, highlighting with leather white.  here's Lana:

03683_p_2_corporea.jpg

^This

I'd add to use a Purple as a glaze in your deepest shadows. Glazing over the yellow/brown shadows with the complimentary color will really add a lot of depth to the shadows.

• Like 4

Well I added some purple and deeper browns but I was getting bad coverage, I think it's because the paint from yesterday dried a little glossy, I kept getting streaks and blotches.

Not sure I see a difference though, I feel it's too subtle, which is usually the case for me. I'm not really a bold person though, funny how it could transition into painting.

post-13476-0-73525500-1442392391_thumb.jpg

post-13476-0-99500000-1442392393_thumb.jpg

post-13476-0-17231900-1442392396_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Have you done an image search for something like "yellow shirt" yet?  While I can't really think of anything to add to the painting advice given above painting wise, a picture is worth a thousand words.  Image editing software will allow you to capture and compare the highlights and shadows side-by-side and give you an idea of the depth of color your pallet needs to cover, be it by using purples or ochres or whatnot. 

• Like 1

He's looking better!  You can see the shadows and his bits and pieces have definition.

Don't be afraid to go dark!  Dark is ok!!

aa8b8fa5d5e86cc4111862f0ec35a694.jpg?127

Here's a yellow dress.  Now, at this scale, the shadows in the folds may not be that dark, but at our scale we have to exaggerate everything we do in order to give illusion of depth.  When painting a color, I try to leave at least 50% of it in the midtone range- that can be your base yellow.  But, successive layers of slightly darker colors can help give us the color shift we want.

I don't have a good example of painted bright yellow since I like more desaturated colors.  I can try to throw one together later when not at work.  but, here is a quick paint program example:

yellow_zpsbqmfmet4.jpg

Using olive as my shadow.  If enough of my color is "yellow," the eye will read it as yellow, even when the shadows and highlights are blatantly not yellow.  now, not all the highlights need to go to white, and not all the shadows need to go to green, but if a few do, it creates the illusion of deep deep shadows!

Here's a zoomie of Lana's skirt.  See how dark it can get under her fingers and in the folds? Not yellow at all!  And that's ok, as long as enough of her skirt is "yellow" our eye will interpret it.  that's the beauty of strong contrast and something that's intuitively hard to process because it doesn't seem logical.  We always harp on contrast because it is the only thing that makes our tiny people look ginormous.

yellow_zpsbacd589e.jpg

Keep going with the shadows. You've got the right idea!

edited to put a spoiler and take up less space!

Edited by Corporea
  • Like 4

I am still learning myself, and not much of a paint mixer, But maybe a color like GW Snakebite Leather or Bubonic Brown for the shadows?

I don't know the new names, But Dakka has a paint comparison chart that will give you the old and new GW names as well as the Reaper color....

8)

George

ok,here's a quick yellow help thingy:

I used sun yellow, palomino gold, chestnut gold, carnival purple and pure white (because I'm not sure where my linen white is...)

yellow1_zpstqkfldyn.jpg

I had a bones Deladrin hanging out on a cork on the shelf of shame:

yellow2_zpslq17d0u1.jpgc01f1c92-7fc7-4ec2-9a39-f25e19986102_zpsyellow5_zpssm820ko3.jpg

basecoated with sun and chestnut, then shaded a bit.  The last I added some sparing deeper shadows of purple and highlights of white.  I'd probably do a lot more smoothing and glazing, but you get the idea. :)

• Like 3