Question About Reaper HD Paints

Hello,

Can anyone tell me how Reaper's Masters HD paints compare with Games Workshop's Foundation/Base Color paints, coverage-wise?

My experience with the GW paints is that the Base paints cover well.  However, the bottle isn't that great.  I like the dropper bottle format better and wanted to see if the HD paints are at least as good as the GW paints.

Thanks for your help!

• Like 1

I used to have (and use) the GW foundation paints. Now I have the Reaper HD paints and many of the MSP paints. I have found in my use that the HD paints do very well at coverage like the GW Foundation paints, but with more control.

I love the dropper bottles, which was one of many reasons that led me to switch to Reaper paints and give my GW paints to my younger brother.

• Like 3

If I may add on to the question, what's the durability like for reaper paints? I primarily use vallejo model color, as I was heavly into wwii plastic models before discovering minis, and the paints are extremely delicate. Finished paint jobs scratch just by being looked at, even with a gloss coat, then a matte coat to finish it. I paint minis for a group that does D&D and I need to touch up paint jobs almost every week. Looking for something more durable and close to the quality vallejo offers.

I have found that Reaper paints are tougher than Vallejo paints in general. There are always some colors that are a bit more delicate than others. While I never seal my competition pieces I do always seal my gaming pieces but I have never felt the need to do a gloss coat before the matte coat when using my Reaper paints. Jury is still out on the durability of Scale 75's Scalecolor line.

• Like 1

Aren't Vallejo Model Colors notoriously fragile compared to their more robust Game Colors?

I'm really not an expert here, but I had the impression that their Model Colors were specifically intended for competitions and show pieces which were not to be handled much.

Aren't Vallejo Model Colors notoriously fragile compared to their more robust Game Colors?

I'm really not an expert here, but I had the impression that their Model Colors were specifically intended for competitions and show pieces which were not to be handled much.

That's mostly correct. Game Color uses a different base than the Model Color line. Model Color is really designed for the plastic model crowd, so yes primarily display and competition rather than gaming. The Game Color line was developed as a direct competitor to the GW paints.

Zemzero, are you using primer? For polystyrene, resin and metal minis you should apply a coat of primer and then paint over that; it will vastly improve the durability of the paint. Not as important for PVC plastic like Reaper Bones.

Yeah, I prime everything, even bones.

I modelled WWII plastic for years so I have a huge collection of vallejo model color. I'm seriously considering buying a 54 paint caddy from reaper. I have a few sample colors and I like what I see so far.

That's mostly correct. Game Color uses a different base than the Model Color line. Model Color is really designed for the plastic model crowd, so yes primarily display and competition rather than gaming. The Game Color line was developed as a direct competitor to the GW paints.

I didn't know about the difference until recently, I read it when searching about scale 75. I assumed the game color difference was...the colors. No need for goblin green when you're painting a plane from 1939, right? lol. But I'm a bit of a loyalist, I used testors for a long time before switching to Tamiya, then humbrol and now to vallejo and potentially reaper.