Forgive my slang and terrible pun.

I've recently gotten to painting up my delicious pile of speleothem, and when I did the base coat, I had attache'd them to a small round plastic cup with some of that putty stuff that is used to hold up office papers in order to hold my future work of art.

Of course, they never stuck very well to the putty and frequently fell off my poor attempt at holding it.

I've heard a lot of people use a wine cork for the same purpose but I think the adhesion to the object in which I choose to paint is the problem.

I started using a magnifying loupe to paint with and I am wondering about if anyone has some advice on how best to hold a mini while painting it with minimal paint wear. Especially if you prefer to paint at an angle instead if having the mini vertically in front of you.

• Like 6
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I use 3m foam tape. I bought a huge roll for around $10usd. You can buy smaller packages of the tape for less money. I can sometimes get 2-3 uses before the tape isn't sticky depending on how heavy th

Forgive my slang and terrible pun. I've recently gotten to painting up my delicious pile of speleothem, and when I did the base coat, I had attache'd them to a small round plastic cup with some of th

I cheat and just use elmers/wood glue and pry them off when I'm done.  Sometimes if I'm in a hurry I even superglue them to the cork, but then I have to cut them off with an xacto knife later...

Posted Images

I use 3m foam tape. I bought a huge roll for around $10usd. You can buy smaller packages of the tape for less money. I can sometimes get 2-3 uses before the tape isn't sticky depending on how heavy the mini is. 

EDIT: I should say I stick my minis to old prescription bottles.

Edited by fishnjeeps
  • Like 7

Hmm these are both excellent plans. I guess I need a need hobby knife for the glue one. So I will probably start looking for the foam tape. Might have to get it online. I've recently decideD I am not allowed to shop at any more places with home renovation supplies.

• Like 5

For the majority of my minis I super glue them to a glass bottle. It keeps the mini at eye level when I'm sitting, it helps from being hunched over. For others I use a glob of modelling clay. The kind that needs to be baked, so I can use it over again. It's so easy to reposition the mini.

post-13476-0-40764800-1442412696_thumb.jpg

post-13476-0-94923800-1442412729_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

I use 3m foam tape. I bought a huge roll for around $10usd. You can buy smaller packages of the tape for less money. I can sometimes get 2-3 uses before the tape isn't sticky depending on how heavy the mini is. 

EDIT: I should say I stick my minis to old prescription bottles.

This works wonders. As Fish mentioned using the prescription bottles also help. I would advise getting small ones and putting some weight in the bottle to help it not topple over so easily

post-13330-0-93137400-1439388114_thumb.jpg
  • Like 5

I use prescription bottles, topped with little sticky foam squares (about 1" each).  The sticky foam is made by 3M, although I don't have them in front of me right now so I can't give the name.

I've also used wooden spools (like you would find holding thread, found at a craft store).

The prescription bottles work best for my hand size, although the miniatures get top-heavy if I don't fill the bottle with sand. 

• Like 3

I use either museum putty or double-sided carpet tape (like what FnJ uses). I actually like the tape better as it holds the figures in place very well, after you seal it up, then just pull the figure off the tape. Old medicine bottles or bottle caps are usually what I use for both methods of holding the figures so that I don't touch them while painting them.

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 3

The double sided tape I have leaves a nasty residue when you peel it after a couple days... but never had an issue with poster putty not being able to hold the mini tight (unless the mini is very heavy!).

However, I usually also clean the feet from tabs and everything, drill and pin one of the feet, then insert that pin deep into a wine cork that THEN is puttied on top of a soda cap to keep it from falling over.

• Like 1