Sign in to follow this  
Adept Legacy

How should I handle this?

I have tried poster tac, lots of brands, and never had any success

In my house, we do two things:

Nissiana uses prescription bottles and hot glue. The hot glue pops off most surfaces readily once you're done, but holds well until you actually try to remove the mini.

I generally attach a base as part of initial assembly. My bases are A)slotted B)magnetic or C) both. I have a clamp that fits nicely in my hand that holds onto the underside of a slottabase or onto a heavy-duty bar magnet, which then holds a mini quite securely.

(on the occasion I don't attach a base to the mini at the start, I install pins on the mini when assembling, which become convenient grips for the clamp. I then trim the pins when it's time to secure them to the base)

• Like 3

I use the poster putty (blue-tac) to secure my minis to wood 'spools' obtained from the local craft store (Hobby Lobby).  Here is a picture of my current setup:

21458773362_2e462cdacf_c.jpg

As these are all Bones, there is only a small amount of the poster putty used to secure the bottom of the miniature to the wood 'spool'.  I have found that some pressure, and even some slight twisting pressure, helps to get the putty to stick to both the miniature and the wood spool.  I have used this same setup with metal miniatures (Stonehaven dwarves) and other than slightly more putty, it works just as well for this size miniature.  For larger miniatures, I have larger width spools/dowels that I use, and more putty as well.

Also, I find that a fairly thin layer of the putty works as well as a thick layer, sometimes better, but the trick is always using enough pressure to get the entire surface of the putty to stick to the miniature, and to the wood spools.

You can see on the friar and the bard, there is a small amount of putty that extended past the base of these miniatures.  This may help demonstrate how thin a layer I am using on these.

• Like 6

I use the caps (colgate has the best) off of shaving cans.

I then take a wad of plumbers pipe putty (they use it seal where a pipe goes through a wall)

and plop it on the cap, push the mini onto the gunk, and it holds with NO problem.

Look at my latest WIP, that's what it is sitting on.

The plumbers putty gunk is like a $1.78 at lowes or home depot.

• Like 4

I use wooden spools, old film canisters, prescription bottles, and plastic dice containers. I have used superglue in the past, but now use plain Elmer's white glue. It's easier to remove.

The film canisters and prescription bottles need weights for ballast. The dice holders are great for larger minis. The wooden spools come in a variety of sizes.

For larger minis like dragons, I am planning on buying a cake decorating turntable that tilts. YMMV

• Like 2

Blue tack for Bones, but not the cheap white stuff. I found that it dries out and stains. It's getting trashed.

For metal, it doesn't work as well unless a large area is available. The I'm at the super glue and stick stage.

• Like 2

Not painted many mini's but so far I pin the mini and superglue the pins to a cheap plastic base, then blu-tack (the blue name brand type, the white stuff dries out) said base to the top of a glass prescription bottle with some water inside to give the whole system some inertia, I find I like that. Once the mini is done I cut away/break off the base and transplant the mini onto it's final base which i paint separately. Haven't done anything large so far though

• Like 1

I pin the feet and hold the pin with a hemostat.

BTW, you can find hemostats in the sporting goods department. Fishermen use them for something. Not sure I want to know what...

• Like 1

BTW, you can find hemostats in the sporting goods department. Fishermen use them for something. Not sure I want to know what...

Fly tying, surely?

• Like 2

Blu-Tac and prescription bottles. I have a large jeweler's loupe, but these days, I generally prefer to use a magnifying visor. I tried crazy glue and glass bottles... which is handy, as they'll pop right off... which is annoying because they'll pop right off.

• Like 1

Locking onto a hook that a fish has swallowed in order to get the hook out easier and hopefully not kill the fish.

A similar tool is used for tying flies, but it sits on a workbench.

• Like 2

I use 3m foam tape. I bought a huge roll for around $10usd. You can buy smaller packages of the tape for less money. I can sometimes get 2-3 uses before the tape isn't sticky depending on how heavy the mini is. 

EDIT: I should say I stick my minis to old prescription bottles.

I use a similar setup. The tape can be bought cheap in smaller rolls as indoor mounting tape. I fill the old prescription bottles with cat litter to give them a bit of heft so they don't tip over so easily with a heavy mini taped on top. 

• Like 1

Currently, I use a combination of Magnets and no dry putty, it works pretty well. But, I'm getting to the point where I may start using Blu tac or Superglue, just for convenience.

When I do paint minis I go with the 3m foam tape & either Tamiya spray cans (mostly empty but sometimes there is paint still in the can) or old Reaper Pro Paint pots. I also use craft paint bottles.

I've got big hands so the Tamiya can or the craft paint bottle is perfect for me to hold on to.