Sign in to follow this  
Jordan Peacock

Super-Mutant Conversions (14031, 50180, 77169, 77170)

2015-09-07-reaper-14031-77169-wip-1.png

Starting off, for some curious creatures for a Fallout-themed campaign: A Reaper Rageclaw Warrior (#14031) and a Reaper Bones Flesh Golem (77169) converted with assorted Warhammer 40K Ork "bitz" (I got some leftovers at a "game bazaar" locally) and some epoxy putty.

The Flesh Golem is being turned into a Super Mutant, but the Rageclaw guy is ... uh ... well, I guess there really aren't any big mutant werewolf-doggy-type guys in the Fallout universe that I know of, so he's just something weird and unusual I decided to put together while I had all the Orky bits out.  My working name for the Rageclaw is "Junkyard Dawg," while I want to name the gun-toting Flesh-Golem-turned-Super-Mutant "Dakka."  :D

Much pinning was required for the super mutant's gun.  The chain of ammo was very flimsy and broke in a couple of places, so I had to pin here, pin there, pin just about everywhere.

In the background is a 1:43 scale truck I thought I might try turning into a Fallout-style "former gasoline-powered vehicle converted to nuclear power shortly before the apocalypse" but I'm still sorting out what would be the perfect "bitz" to get that idea across.  I started by trying to sculpt putty, but I can't quite get that "machined" look I want that way.  The "Ship Generator" Bones piece in the bed of the truck was there just to see how it looked.  I don't expect it will be staying there.

2015-09-08-reaper-14031-77169-wip-2.png

Same figures, but with some base-coat, and some messy splashes of paint, and a special guest appearance by Bonnie (80025).  My Super-Mutant conversion is re-based on a HeroClix base with some epoxy putty and texturing.  The pile of spent casings is another Ork "bitz" piece.

For the Junkyard Dawg, I gave him a cap with John Deere green-and-yellow on a whim.  I don't even know if it makes sense for there to BE a John Deere in the Fallout universe, or whether there should be some strange parallel-universe equivalent (Nuka-Cola instead of Coca-Cola, Corvega instead of whatever car company, etc.), but based on precedent with Nuka-Cola, I figure I can at least use familiar-looking colors.  I also used some putty to give him some PANTS.  I'm undecided whether I'll go the extra mile and make some overall straps.

In the background, a Fly Demon is going to become a Bloat Fly.  One of the Anime Heroines is going to be ... uh ... I've no idea, really, why anyone would be dressed like that in the Fallout universe.  It just happened to be one of the minis I grabbed when I was on a basing spree.  The HorrorClix CarnageBot is where I started with my "Nukatron" conversion.

Edited by Jordan Peacock
  • Like 15

2015-09-14-reaper-super-mutant-wip.png

#50180, "Mega Mutant" finally joins the fun, on another re-purposed HeroClix base.  I end up getting Clix for cheap minis and trimming figures off their bases ... then going BACK and reusing those bases every now and again for stuff like this -- it's really the only modification I have to make to the Mega-Mutant to use him as a Super Mutant, as he's already pretty much perfect.  My FLGS only had one in stock, or else I would toy with the idea of giving a stop-sign axe or fire-hydrant sledge to one for variety.

Some of the armor pieces are starting to shape up.  I'm going for a scrap-metal look, so as much as possible I want them to be differently-colored, and to look as if they were simply chopped off of whatever was at hand.  Hence, a bit of STOP sign here, or some caution stripe there.  I've even tried using different shades of brown for various leather bits, though I'm not sure that the difference is really sharp enough for anyone to notice when it's all done with.

I'm still messing around with skin tone for the Super-Mutants.  It should eventually end up being a greenish-yellow with patches where the skin is more reddish or grimy-looking.  I'm planning on digging back through the Kickstarter box to see if there are any other contenders, like the Flesh Golem, for conversion either to Super-Mutants or (slightly smaller) Nightkin.

• Like 16

The axe is a perfect compliment to that Rageclaw

Nice convers!

Agreed. I had thought of converting mine with a smg, but yours is looking way cooler than I'd pictured mine in my head.

The axe is a perfect compliment to that Rageclaw

Nice convers!

Agreed. I had thought of converting mine with a smg, but yours is looking way cooler than I'd pictured mine in my head.

Thanks!  The Rageclaw is a nice, dynamic pose, and seems to beg conversion.  The main body is all one piece, but the left sword-holding hand is a separate one, socketing into the shoulder much as I have it posed above, but holding a fairly modest crooked blade.  It looks as if it shouldn't be too hard at the very least to alter the arm pose a bit.

For the Flesh Golem, I was actually considering using the "power axe" piece (the biggest weapon from the "Ork Bitz" box I'd acquired) for him, but it occurred to me that the Mega-Mutant would already have "close combat super mutant" pretty well covered, but the rare thing would be a heavy gunner.  Still, I loved that big junky-looking axe.  Ork bitz and post-apocalyptic junk-craft go together fairly well, I think.  (I would try to just paint up some Orks as Super Mutants and call it a day -- the box I got actually had enough "bitz" that I could assemble a complete Ork or two -- but their stumpy leg proportions are just too distractingly goofy to pass.)

I did some measuring of the chest area of an Ork model and compared to where I'd have to chop off the shoulders of the Flesh Golem, and found that I could get away with using the heavy gunner arms, provided I was very careful to get the cutting planes pretty close to parallel with each other.  An added bonus was that there were several "shoulder pad" pieces on the bitz sprue -- perfect for covering up the inevitable seams.  In fact, I went overboard and stuck two shoulder pad pieces together for an extra-large left shoulder pad on my Flesh-Golem-to-Super-Mutant conversion.

Back to the Rageclaw, I was just sort of going crazy with things.  I had this idea that I would use them as Warpwolves.  Then I got to see the actual Warpwolf kit, and saw how woefully under-sized they were for such a role.  (They're actually about the same size as the discontinued Rackham Confrontation "Wolfen" figures -- which I've got in abundance thanks to clearance sales, and have been using as proxies for unarmored Circle Orboros "Skinwalkers" in the campaign.  But somehow I'd gotten it into my head that the figures were BIGGER than that.  Maybe it was the pose.  Maybe it's just that I have a very bad eye for judging the size of a mini while it's still in the blister plastic.  I don't know.  So here I have these Rageclaws (two warriors, one shaman) and not much use for them.  (I mean, sure, I could paint them up as MORE Skinwalkers, but I'd gotten a mess of those plastic Wolfen for less than a buck each.)  Anyway, I was digging through my Reaper minis (mostly Kickstarter Bones minis, but also a few Chronoscope minis I grabbed while a local store was clearing its stock of all Reaper minis), trying to find any other minis that might, like the Flesh Golem, be about the right size for a Super Mutant stand-in.  Voila!  Not the LEAST BIT like a Super Mutant, but large enough to wield that axe.  And I hated the thought of that axe not being used, so that led to this conversion.  :)  Plus, it helps that what armor the Rageclaw has looks rather scrappy, and in line with what I'd envision for the sort of scavenged (yet someone took time to put studs in all the leather) apparel we've come to expect of post-apocalyptic road-warriors from the '80s onward.

Plus, somehow sticking a not-John-Deere cap on the head of a werewolf-ish critter just struck me as amusing.  If I hadn't given him a hat, I probably would have felt obliged to give him a mohawk.  (Well, there's another Rageclaw for that, I suppose.)  I'm planning on putting an emblem on there; I think I'll try for a symbol invoking the look of the 1950 or 1936 John Deere logo.

1950_logo.jpg1936_logo.jpg

Free-handing it, it won't likely be recognizable as anything except a basic blob-shape.  I kind of like the idea of using the 1936 shape, as it's a bit more obscure now.  I suppose I COULD get away with an actual John Deere logo (circa 1950) since some real-world companies apparently still exist in the Fallout universe (mainly gun manufacturers -- Smith & Wesson, Winchester, Glock, etc.).  I'll try my hand at "micro-printing" a makeshift label for the front of the cap, but at that size those letters are likely just to be blobs of pixels anyway.

• Like 4

junkyard_dawg__miniature__by_jordangreyw

Here's the latest on the Junkyard Dawg.  I went with the printed logo for the hat; sure, it's illegible at this resolution, but I think it still gets the idea across.

In the background is a Poseidon Energy station that I'm working on, to fit into a corner spot of the Games & Gears "Hawk City" boards.

2015-09-20-reaper-14031-junkyard-dawg-2.

Here's a closeup of Junkyard Dawg's "new" hat.  I used some putty to bulk up the hat a little more (I'm sure there's an interesting story behind why in the world a hat would have been made that large) and then a tiny print-out for the label.  It wasn't a perfectly flat surface, so there's a bit of a ripple in the paper that really shows from the side, but from most other angles it seems to do the job.

2015-09-20-wip-poseidon-station-01.png

Here's an aerial view of the Poseidon Energy Fuel/Coolant Station (WIP): I'm trying to make a base that will fit in a corner of the Games & Gear "Hawk City" board, though the scale is such that it's quite a squeeze for 1:43 vehicles.  

2015-09-20-wip-poseidon-station-02.png

The so-called O-Scale Plasticville buildings make quite a squeeze as well for O-Scale vehicles: I can't fit any of my 1:43 cars or trucks into the garage.  For RPG purposes, if anyone balks, I'll just note that scales are "approximate" for miniatures purposes.  After all, in real life, we'd have more people able to squeeze into the space taken up by a 30mm base, and a person should be able to fit through a normal-sized door even if the typical door wouldn't be as wide as what is required to accommodate the area represented by a miniatures base.

• Like 8

Okay, so this isn't so much progress on Junkyard Dawg and the Super-Mutants, as it is on their environment, but it's all part of the same big project.

2015-09-27-poseidon-station-03.png

Here's the latest shot of the battlefield (or a portion thereof).  The streets are Games & Gears boards.  Chris Stadler corrected me that he didn't actually paint the lines -- he just textured the sidewalks.  Apparently the boards come with the street sections already painted flat black, and with the street lines and cross-walks stencil-painted on.  I guess they have the "stop" line on BOTH lanes, so that the board makes just as much (or as little) sense whether you're using it in the UK or the US.  =D

2015-09-27-poseidon-station-02.png

For my Poseidon Energy Station, I used a Plasticville gas station facade from a "grab-box" of O-scale railroad set building parts I managed to get for a pretty good deal.  All of the stores and such have "PLASTICVILLE" emblazoned upon them rather obnoxiously; I covered that up on this building with a strip from my old label maker -- and I tried to give some hint that in the pre-war Fallout universe, such service stations were making the transition from diminishing reserves of petroleum-based fuels, to providing coolant for the newer fusion-based vehicles that were the latest innovation not terribly long before all the bombs started dropping.  Hence, I'm keeping the gas pumps, but also some techno-whazzits that one might imagine could be used to dispense coolant if only one could attach a decent replacement hose.

The broken glass windows are blister plastic with a hobby knife taken to the pieces, and the window is boarded up with sliced "popsicle" craft sticks.

In game, the main purpose of this area is just to provide some cover that can BLOW SKY HIGH if someone manages to hit the wrong (or right) spot in a firefight.

2015-09-27-poseidon-station-01.png

The self-service island is a combination of Robotix parts (from a broken, incomplete set I picked up in a thrift store), two gas pump pieces from the Plasticville station, a Hirst Arts bit from I-don't-know-which sci-fi themed mold set, some scrap craft-stick wood (to prop up the sign in the middle), and then a couple of old round Warhammer Fantasy shields pinned to the top of the pumps, so I could use them as sign frames for the circular Poseidon Energy logo.

Special guest appearance by "Sir Gary," a pre-gen super-mutant PC for my scenario.  The figure was originally kit-bashed for a really, REALLY weird zombie-apocalypse campaign (made from a HeroClix mini, some Warhammer Chaos bitz, and a bit of putty to make Mr. Fluffy-Fluffy Bun-Bun perched on our hero's shoulder), for a PC, when it was clear the players were no longer taking the concept terribly seriously.  I just updated it to give the arms the "super-mutant" yellow-grey-reddish-with-bits-of-light-green look.  The premise for this scenario is that he's a Super Mutant who acquired a stash of "Tales of Chivalrie" {sic} (an in-universe pre-War comic book after the fashion of "Classics Illustrated"), and has subsequently declared himself a knight.

Other background elements include an old Necromunda bulkhead (those things are awesome!), and a building excised from an old "Hot Wheels City" play-set.

• Like 5

junkyard_dawg__fallout_mini__by_jordangr

It's been a while, but while prepping for my upcoming Fallout-themed games for Necronomicon this year, I decided to revisit Junkyard Dawg and my Super Mutants, since I hadn't really finished painting them, per se.  (Just sort of slapped on enough color that, "Eh, that's good enough!")  Not that I've gotten them to minis-contest quality since then, but I decided to do a little bit of touch-up work and further detailing.

Poor Junkyard Dawg's hat has been seriously nibbled on by silverfish (or whatever other bugs managed to crawl into the foam tray that I unwisely put out in the garage), so the best I could do with that for now was to smash on some grey and yellow and to overall try to obscure the exposed bare white.  (It seems they're not so much eating the paper as it is the toner on it, for whatever reason.  They also rather curiously love Durham's Water Putty -- and some of my early Hirst Arts Castlemolds projects using water putty, which I then base-coated with latex house paint, now have portions that continue to exist as strangely hollowed-out shells where only the PAINT and a thin layer of water-putty particles exists.  That it manages to keep its shape I suppose only underscores just how THICKLY I put on those initial coats.  Eventually I'll fill them in, but right now they're just oddities on the back of the work desk.)

My story notion for Junkyard Dawg is that he's the result of a Vault experiment from Vault 122.  (Yeah, I know, only 120 vaults were built, so it doesn't make sense for the number to go that high.  Well, some of the data could be wrong.  Or maybe "120" was just a rough estimate, give or take 6 or so.  Maybe some were "off the books."  Maybe most of my players don't even CARE about such quibbly details.  :D  )

I added some "distress" to some of the junk-metal armor parts, by dry-brushing with passes of Denim Gray, Graphite Gray, and Ivory.  I also tried to bring out more contrast to the fur (Graphite Gray wash, Denim Gray highlights), and finally painted in the nails (Graphite Gray and Black).  I repainted the cables (visually they blended in too much with the whitish-rust look of the weapons themselves) a darker gray, and painted the bolts a lighter gray (I figured the bolts clamping the wires in place are recent additions to whatever scrap Junkyard Dawg used to make the weapon, so they ought not to be so rusty).  For the manhole cover, which is painted Pumpkin Orange as a stand-in for "rust," with a bit of a dirty-paintbrush-dish wash for weathering, I dry-brushed with Graphite Gray, intending for the look of something that's gotten rusty but has experienced enough wear over the top to flake off some of the rust, and expose darker metal underneath.

The wrecked car hood in the background is part of my ongoing detail work on the Secret Weapon Miniatures / Tablescapes "Scrapyard" terrain boards.  I used Japanese Clay (equivalent to "Instant Mold") to make some temporary push-molds of the hood and grill and fenders of a 1:43 scale toy "Woody."  The "mold" barely survived the extraction process, and fell apart by the time I extracted the epoxy putty "cast" made from it, but I jammed the piece into place on the Scrapyard tile in order to obscure the front-end of a rather angular, circa-1980s-looking truck cab that was incorporated into the junk heap.  I purposefully squashed down the hood a bit while the putty hadn't completely hardened, in order to stress-crack some of the "metal," and distort it a bit, so it'd look more in keeping with some abused piece of scrap rather than just an incomplete part of a car plopped down into the middle of the action.  I'm still working on how to paint it, as my approach right now is to paint it "rust" (Pumpkin Orange), drop various washes of light and dark gray, brown, etc., on it (and other rusty junk pieces), and then spatter on some paint (first Denim Gray, then a lighter but slightly yellowed -- and thicker -- Parchment paint color) to give an impression of remnants of the original paint job through which patches of rust are peeking.  On top of THAT, I applied more "bottom of the paintbrush cup wash" and brush-flicked some other dark wash mixes (mostly mixes of brown and gray).  It doesn't quite look like it's there, so it'll likely go through some more back-and-forth applications of dry-brush "weathering," washes, and so forth, until it looks suitably chaotic.  But, hey, this is the Junkyard Dawg -- even if my Scrapyard isn't finished, it seemed like the best backdrop.  :D

• Like 4

super_mutant_heavy_gunner_by_jordangreyw

Reaper Bones #77169 -- "Flesh Golem" -- converted into a Super Mutant with a few Games Workshop Warhammer 40K "Space Orkz" sprue bits that I acquired at a "game bazaar" years ago (specifically the arms, gun, stream of expelled shells, pile of empty shells at his feet, and the bulky spare ammo pack on his back).

The lack of a nose makes him look a little more ghoulish than super-mutant-ish, but they ARE mutants, after all, so maybe he just came out that way ... or else, hey, the rough super-mutant lifestyle left him minus a nose after standing a little too close when another super mutant set off a Fat Man bomb in close combat.  (Seriously, if they keep doing that, why are there any super mutants left?)

In the background is one of my attempts at a Nuka-Cola machine, made out of thin cardboard, epoxy putty, plastic sprue, and printed paper elements.

• Like 6

super_mutant_crossing_guard__by_jordangr

Super Mutant Crossing Guard!  No, really, the stop sign is just an improvised weapon.  This was originally Reaper Bones #77170, "Clay Golem," but I added the stop sign "axe" (from a Reaper/Studio 2 "Deadlands: Hell on Earth Weapon Accessory Pack," with a printed face for the stop sign, touched up with paint), some Warhammer 40K Space Ork shoulder pads, and also some "leather straps" for the harness (made from thickly-painted paper strips).  I used a HeroClix base, and a bit of putty for the "cracked pavement" look.

In the background, the wooden pallets and the billboard are Warsenal (Warsen.al) MDF terrain bits, while the resin trunks, Jerry cans, and barrel are from Forgeworld.  The "partially-buried" Nuka-Cola vending machine is a putty-impression from a model by Mad Imp Miniatures.  He's standing on one of my Secret Weapon Miniatures "Tablescapes - Rolling Hills" tiles spray-painted in rust-brown Rustoleum, then dry-brushed with "ivory" acrylic.

• Like 4