Just because I need to start another WIP, I decided with the new Burrows and Badgers KS on the horizon I thought I should give my critter's some paint love.  So I decided to paint up a Hare (or Rabbit) from the two critter KS I backed.  I decided to also use hair color for the hares with Jessica Rich's DVD.  I started both with a 1:1 mix of RMS Harvest Brown : RHD Golden Brown as the base coat.  I like both of the sculpts and have really wanted to paint them both.  Progress might be slow at first since I'm also working on my exchange mini at the same time.

Here is the Darksword Hare Mage:

post-12625-0-86018500-1442458370.jpg

Here is the Oathsworn Hare Warrior:

post-12625-0-69800600-1442458374.jpg

Now a look at the 2 side by side:

post-12625-0-28583400-1442458373_thumb.jpg

• Like 18
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just because I need to start another WIP, I decided with the new Burrows and Badgers KS on the horizon I thought I should give my critter's some paint love.  So I decided to paint up a Hare (or Rabbit

Wow, where does the time go?  I'm finally getting back to these Hares.  Trying to stay on task with working through my various projects and now it's time to give these hares' some love.   I tidied u

Finished the work on the sword.  Used the scale75 gold nmm set again.  It came out OK.  Even after a year of working steadily at this I still feel I have a long way to go.  But I press on.  The main f

Posted Images

Looks good. A warrior is supposed to be just a tad bigger then a man of the books..

Hmm. ever thought of adorning the base of the warrior with a knights helmet and two half coconut shells? ( Monthy Python - Killer rabbit reference)

Edited by Xherman1964
  • Like 2

Both awesome minis. They go nicely together.

That was my thought as well.

Looks good. A warrior is supposed to be just a tad bigger then a man of the books..

Hmm. ever thought of adorning the base of the warrior with a knights helmet and two half coconut shells? ( Monthy Python - Killer rabbit reference)

No, but now that you mention it, I like that idea.
  • Like 2

Decided to work on the warrior's armor.  Mostly because I was already working on my exchange mini's armor, and I'll be using roughly the same colors.

And here is the Hare's armor base coated:

post-12625-0-63102600-1442536706.jpg

Next is the chest piece's highlights were blocked in somewhat rough, to get a feel if the highlight look right.  This is also the stage i'm at with my exchange mini.  I think they are pretty good.  so tommorrow I will shadow and blend the highlights a little more.

post-12625-0-90668000-1442536707.jpg

• Like 11

I began shadowing the breast plate.  I then tried to blend in the highlights.  Overall I think the effect is an minor improvement, but I think I might have overworked it a bit.  On a side note, I think I have a grasp on my NMM funk with the the exchange and this piece.  Im so used to shadowing then highlighting, when I highlight first my brain feels I should be done, yet I know I have to shadow.  Ah well.

Here is my progress:

post-12625-0-61289300-1442625602.jpg

• Like 12

Whatever you are doing in regards to the NMM, I would say you are on the right track. At first glance, I would have sworn that was a dark steel metallic with a bright light in front of it.

Thanks! That was the look I'm going for.  I think I'm suffering from the I've been looking at it to long and cant see the forest for the trees sort of thing.

• Like 4

Full Frontal Armor....

That is the current situation.  As SGHawkins mentions the angle of the light was more frontal than I had initially wanted.  But I decided to roll with it, Thanks SG  ::):.  Now comes the work of getting the reflection right from the sides and back with a frontal light source, not overhead.  So much for finishing him this weekend.

post-12625-0-70627800-1442718761.jpg

• Like 13

Back to him again today.  With such a strong frontal light source I tried to create a more subdued and under reflected metal at his back.  Using the same colors but having more of the shadow colors and not going to a full white.  Though looking at the photo I realize the paint is a bit less matt than I would like it.  Certain shadows reflect some of the light I used to photo rather than the black I used to shadow.  Oh well, that is what dullcote is for.

Here is how the experiment stand:

post-12625-0-81953100-1442769151.jpg

I am now beginning to understand why people put hints of color in their silver metals.  As I held the figure up to my lamp and put my hand behind to see how the light reflected up I noticed the color difference between that and a white piece of paper.  Sigh, I chose to continue with the black and white NMM, in the future I will attempt to introduce color, but for now I want to work on getting my reflective points in the right spot.

PS: I didn't like how my NMM looked in a few spot on my exchange model so I am used this to test some blending before I call the armor on him done.

• Like 9