Aku-chans Epic Monster Saga:- Part 1 'Walking the Spiral Path'

This is the first step on my epic journey to paint up my entire Kingdom Death: Monster set (and hopefully many, many as yet unmade future expansions), I'm starting with the Messenger of the Spiral Path:-

NeLDCS.jpgM8Aihv.jpg

I've left him fairly unassembled because there's quite a bit that will be inaccessible after his cape is fully attached (and his left arm won't fit properly with the cape off). So the current plan is to paint him from the waist down, his back, his right arm and the inside of his cape, then finish assembly, then finish painting him.

I'm kinda making a lot more work for myself as most of this won't even be visible on the finished mini, but if I leave it, I'll know it's unpainted and it'll nag at me.

Made a start on painting:-

OQbPQ8.jpg

Hate painting red!

So far there's 5 different colours on there (Carnage Red, 1:1 Carnage Red/Blood Red, Blood Red, 1:1 Blood Red/Vallejo Vermilion, Vermilion) and yet the Carnage Red basecoat has barely changed.

Not a huge problem as most of this won't be seen, but I'm hoping the outside of the cape (also red) goes a bit better.

Gotta try and make more progress tomorrow, as I've signed up to a thing on another forum and he's due to be presented at the end of September.

• Like 13

Ah yes.  Boutique miniatures like this are generally out of my price AND skill range, so I don't deal with them much, save for when a friend of mine picked one up and needs it painted.  When that happens, a lot of the time there's such "fun" as trying to pin delicate, more narrowly-proportioned limbs, or figuring out the proper order in which to assemble/paint things because of many recesses humanly impossible to paint on the model once assembled.  So, I sympathize.

Still, that makes the idea of watching a more competent painter tackling it bit by bit all the more fascinating, so thanks for sharing this work-in-progress.  I look forward to seeing how it unfolds!

• Like 1

Oddly enough, I like the cutaway look and hidden feel of that right arm and the cape. It is as if this were a diagram as much as a figure.

I pledged for their Kickstarter, but I can't recall for the life of me if I am getting this figure.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the comments everybody!

Ah yes.  Boutique miniatures like this are generally out of my price AND skill range, so I don't deal with them much, save for when a friend of mine picked one up and needs it painted.  When that happens, a lot of the time there's such "fun" as trying to pin delicate, more narrowly-proportioned limbs, or figuring out the proper order in which to assemble/paint things because of many recesses humanly impossible to paint on the model once assembled.  So, I sympathize.

Still, that makes the idea of watching a more competent painter tackling it bit by bit all the more fascinating, so thanks for sharing this work-in-progress.  I look forward to seeing how it unfolds!

I quite enjoy the 'figuring what goes where and when' part of mini assembly, but I'm with you on the horrors of pinning, luckily these guys and gals are plastic.

Oddly enough, I like the cutaway look and hidden feel of that right arm and the cape. It is as if this were a diagram as much as a figure.

I pledged for their Kickstarter, but I can't recall for the life of me if I am getting this figure.

I like it too. It's a shame you can't leave the rest of the cape detachable.

looking forward to seeing your progress on this one.  some of the KD monster sculpts are terrific, 

I just dislike their cheesecake and legs that just don't look right. 

*Looks at giant pile of pin-ups that need painting*

You're going to enjoy some parts of my Epic Monster Saga more than others.

Totally jealous that you have your pledge already!

Only the promos and pin-ups sadly, still waiting on the rest of my goodies.

The more of these you paint up, the more I want to give them a try.  Keep up the work and you might convince me to try yet.

I'll do my best!

And progress, had a super productive day today, so lots of piccys incoming:-

xrtJof.jpgtJShmC.jpg

Trousers!

Based with Denim Blue, shaded down with 2:1 Denim Blue/Pure Black and 1:1 Denim Blue/Pure Black, then highlighted with 1:1 Denim Blue/Aircraft Grey.

RqlpB3.jpg9XOIBv.jpg

Bits and bobs!

Gave everything an undercoat of Oiled Leather. Then the boots and gauntlet were done with Yellowed Bone, chains in Vallejo Brassy Brass, elbow guard and boot blades in Vallejo Oily Steel and the umm... bum armour in Ruddy Leather leaving the Oiled Leather on the knot-work edging.

It then all got a Brown wash.

FTWnSO.jpgoBWYVn.jpg

Skin!

Basecoated in 1:1 Vallejo Dwarf Skin/Vallejo Flat Flesh.

Gave his back a Vallejo Flesh Shade wash, didn't do the front as this will undoubtedly need redoing once he's fully assembled.

Also went back over the previous bits and bobs with their base-colour as a highlight.

nfj6nH.jpgFMsfqG.jpg

All my hard work lost! Gone forever! :down:

And, at last, he's fully assembled.

Leaving the plastic glue to fully solidify overnight, then I'll fill some gaps, prime some unprimed bits and start painting that cape.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should've done his head before assembly. I'm sure his collar wasn't quite so crazy when I was dry-fitting everything.

• Like 9

More progress, my camera battery needed charging, so this update isn't as piccy heavy:-

R2t2me.jpg9Xgigr.jpgxpcHPQ.jpg

Finished his skin (Vallejo 1:1 Dwarf Skin/Flat Flesh > Vallejo Flesh Shade wash > 1:1 Dwarf Skin/Flat Flesh > 1:1:1 Dwarf Skin/Flat Flesh/Off-White).

His left arm was painted the same as his other one and his mask used the same Yellowed Bone scheme as his gloves/boots.

His hair was based in Vallejo Dark Prussian Blue, washed Black, re-applied the Dark Prussian Blue then given highlights of 1:1 Dark Prussian Blue/Off-white.

The chain, skull and sword blade were also based with Dark Prussian Blue, then Vallejo Oily Steel and given a Black wash.

I added highlights of Oily Steel to the skull and blade, the chain will get one eventually too and the blade will probably get a further highlight of Vallejo Chainmail Silver (I had to stop before I finished).

The fur part of the cape was based with Vallejo Dark Sea Grey, washed Black and then given drybrushes of Dark Sea Grey, Aircraft Grey and Off-white.

The rest of the cape has so far had a coat of Blood Red, reckon it'll need a couple more before I get a solid basecoat.

• Like 10

Thanks!

Got in the "zone" today, so the painting is all done:-

B54lSd.jpgLy7hdx.jpgMEz3P5.jpg

One day I will uncover the art of painting a decent cape :down:

Got myself a decent Blood Red base to the cape, then shaded it down with 1:1 Blood Red/Vallejo Red Violet and then pure Red Violet. The highlighted with 1:1 Blood Red/Vallejo Vermilion and the pure Vermilion.

It then got several glazes the Blood Red to try and blend everything together, worked better in some places than others.

just need to finish tarting up the base and he's all done with a couple days to spare.

• Like 11