Metal Trade-in

zuriel42

Ah okay. Would jotting down the product number of a piece we want make it easier to locate in that maze of shelves? =D

Yeah, at least know the SKU of the whole model, we can help you find the bits for that model, and you can pick from among those just the bit you want.

Few things are as complex as going through our library of over 7,500 bits with a search requirement of "it's that one weapon from that one model that's like *FWOOM!* (strikes pose) and the cape's all *whoosh* (flourishes)!"

oh i see......i will replace my charade style notes with SKU numbers then  ^_^

Note to self: Figure out the most ridiculously posed mini in the catalog.

• Like 3

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an old metal dragon that I bought already partially painted. Should I strip it before bringing it in?
For stuff in blisters, should I leave them in the blisters, or bring them in loose?
Thanks!

Edit: Never mind, I found the answers in other threads. See you in Denton!

Edited by Mclimbin
  • Like 1

I've never been to Reaper Con but I plan to attend this year. That said, I'm not super familiar with the metal trade in policy, I've read all of the pinned thread and all of this thread and there are still some things I'm not sure of. Please help me clarify the points below.

1. Reaper does not accept 'lead miniatures'...?
  2. Reaper doesn't accept melted metal but will accept parts of miniatures...?
    1. I have a jar full of old 'tabs' that miniatures used to come attached to some are probably lead others pewter - are these 'bits' accepted?
  3. I get credit for acceptable trade-ins on a 'by weight' basis.
    1. 90% of weight for unpainted models.
    2. 50% of weight for painted models
  4. I can trade in unopened metal reaper miniatures that are in 'salable' condition for a different rate but I'm not clear what that is.
  5. If I trade in unopened miniatures as metal I have to remove them from the packaging.
  6. I can 'acquire bits/minis' from the metal traded in but I'm not sure how I pay for this material.
  7. I can receive store credit for my trade in or I can trade for parts from the Reaper bits bins but I have to go to the warehouse for this...?
    1. I receive less Reaper store credit than I do 'bits credit' for what I've traded in...?
  8. I should bring gloves.

Thanks for your help and information! I look forward to meeting many of you in October.

J--

I can help with some answers: 

1. Correct. Your old Grenadier is no good here. 

2. Yes, for example if you cut of heads or arms or wings to modify a Reaper figure, you can bring that scrap in to trade. 

1. that includes tabs and scrapings that aren't from lead figures. 

4. That's usually decided on site once the con starts.  In the past it has been a favorable trade. 

6. Cash or credit. There has been a register set up in that area in the past. 

7.  Last year the trade-in table was at the con.  You could drop off metal and have it weighed and get a credit slip.  Then you can shop what other people dumped, or  drive up the highway to the factory and get bits out of the warehouse (Reaper employees will help you).  Last year they delivered your bits order back to the con and you just went by the table and asked for it and paid.  In the past you could pay at the factory. I don't know how it will work exactly this year, but it should work something like that. 

1. Don't know the rates this year. In the past we didn't get store credit for scrap traded in. 

• Like 2

Ah okay. Would jotting down the product number of a piece we want make it easier to locate in that maze of shelves? =D

Yeah, at least know the SKU of the whole model, we can help you find the bits for that model, and you can pick from among those just the bit you want.

Few things are as complex as going through our library of over 7,500 bits with a search requirement of "it's that one weapon from that one model that's like *FWOOM!* (strikes pose) and the cape's all *whoosh* (flourishes)!"

Can you demonstrate that at con for us?
  • Like 3

Can you demonstrate that at con for us?

Oh, don't let Bryan fool you.  He gets questions like that all the time at cons, sometimes even from his "helpers"  working the booth ("it's a male human mini, two swords, cloak, arms raised like this.  No, not that one.  He wants a fighter dual wielding swords with bow on the back, not a ranger."   :;):).

Okay, I made up that specific example and conflated it with a (semi)private joke.   ::):

Ron

Edited by vutpakdi
  • Like 5

I've never been to Reaper Con but I plan to attend this year. That said, I'm not super familiar with the metal trade in policy, I've read all of the pinned thread and all of this thread and there are still some things I'm not sure of. Please help me clarify the points below.

1. Reaper does not accept 'lead miniatures'...?
  2. Reaper doesn't accept melted metal but will accept parts of miniatures...?
    1. I have a jar full of old 'tabs' that miniatures used to come attached to some are probably lead others pewter - are these 'bits' accepted?
  3. I get credit for acceptable trade-ins on a 'by weight' basis.
    1. 90% of weight for unpainted models.
    2. 50% of weight for painted models
  4. I can trade in unopened metal reaper miniatures that are in 'salable' condition for a different rate but I'm not clear what that is.
  5. If I trade in unopened miniatures as metal I have to remove them from the packaging.
  6. I can 'acquire bits/minis' from the metal traded in but I'm not sure how I pay for this material.
  7. I can receive store credit for my trade in or I can trade for parts from the Reaper bits bins but I have to go to the warehouse for this...?
    1. I receive less Reaper store credit than I do 'bits credit' for what I've traded in...?
  8. I should bring gloves.

Thanks for your help and information! I look forward to meeting many of you in October.

J--

1. correct. We use the metal that gets turned in in our crucibles, so it must meet our metal formulation requirements. We'll mix the traded metal with our mix to dilute it to a reasonable approximation of our standard, so we do require it be from an approved company and approved mix.
  2. We accept bits, flash, gates, vents, sprues, tabs, and chunk, but cannot accept metal that you or a third party have melted and turned into bars, rounds, ingots, slabs, blocks or otherwise melted and solidified. Once melted and reshaped, we lose all faith in the integrity of the mix, and the costs to assay to authorize for re-use are not insignificant.
  3. Yes. 
  4. Yes. That rate is usually close to MSRP.
  5. Yes. The trade table MUST be metal only no foreign material.
  6. When you bring metal to the show to trade, we weigh it and add it to the table. You may then shop from the table. We will weigh out your purchases and there is a register which should be able to accept cash or card. Example: You bring 1.5 lbs of dead miniature parts. We give you 1.35 lbs in credit. This credit might be spent buying off the table, bits at the factory, or you can convert that weight to credit and we can sell you items from the reaper booth at ReaperCon.
  7. We offer shopping at the factory for raw metal "bits", we offer packaged material at ReaperCon, or you may shop from the metal that others have also brought to trade, yes.
  8. Gloves are encouraged.

EDIT: We are not offering packaged product in trade for metal for 2016.

Edited by Reaperbryan

• Members

Okay.. a couple questions before i start packing for next week..

Do you know if you are accepting Drake miniatures from their KS?  I'm guessing you need to see them up close before determining that..

I'm bringing roughly 7 pounds of metal Reaper minis still in original boxes. (I'll have some other metal free floating stuff)  I see two different things in the program book.

There is the metal Trade section of the book:

metal trade You can bring in your old metal miniatures and trade them in! We’ll weigh out the metal you bring us and give you credit in our bits shopping area (at the Factory) for the same weight in new metal! What’s more, if we don’t have any of the parts you’re looking for, we’ll cast them on demand! You can also shop from the metal that other guests bring in - in the past we’ve had some amazing finds! This credit is only valid at the Reaper Factory, on “raw†unpackaged metal. This credit may not be used on packaged product, paint, Bones, or non-Reaper product. Shuttle bus for shopping and casting-on-demand available with the Tours Shuttle to the Reaper factory. Only Metal from approved companies will be accepted, no ingots, bars, or remelted casts. A full list of approved companies can be found online on our forums. Note that Painted metal, or metal with glue will count for only 1/2 credit

And the FAQ:

How do I trade my old minis for new minis? A. In the Reaper area of the Vendor Hall, they will weigh your metal and give you ounce-for ounce credit towards new, fresh minis. If it has foreign materials (glue or paint, etc.) we will trade 2 ounces for one ounce new. We can convert weight to Reaper Booth credit, usable only on Reaper Product.

So there are two trade in options, one at Con and one at the factory?  It seems both cover new figures, including the new minis for the convention?