I guess I'm lucky that my hobby blocks stem from mind-numbing major cyclical depression, SADS, PTSD, and Cthulhu-levels of pain. There's a definite reason behind why I'm not building, painting, or tweaking rules. There's also a reason as to why I'm not writing stories or books all the time. That doesn't help me get back into the fray, though, so I guess there's no real luck involved.

I've tried everything to try to break out of the blocks or subvert them with cunning and guile. The only thing that works for me is to wait out whatever has flared and caused the event and then jump back to doing something that sounds neat when the All Clear signal is given. Hobby, no hobby - it's a great cycle.

• Like 1

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am new to painting, but I definitely have already gone through a down period.  I joined the forums last year, started painting, then was overwhelmed by life and all the demands of it.  I stopped painting because I was often exhausted or uninspired.  As I look back now, I think I should have forced myself to paint a bit more.  I went through a serious medical rough patch around Christmas and think that, maybe if I had forced myself to engage in doing something I love and which I was passionate about, I wouldn't have been so depressed.  I turned to painting this spring during the painful and stressful time of finishing the semester and found that it helped me calm down and detach from my stresses for a bit. When I finished painting, I felt relaxed and was able to cope better with the rest of life.

Even though I am a novice, I think that I can safely say that, if you truly are passionate and love painting, the fire will inevitably be rekindled and you will feel the urge that you wont want to resist.

• Like 6

Paradoxically, my inspiration and urge to paint is strongest when I'm at my desk at work.

It's a good sized desk, I could fit all of my paints and tools on it, and the office is very well lit. Very little distractions.

Darn it, my home is too relaxing for painting!

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

Paradoxically, my inspiration and urge to paint is strongest when I'm at my desk at work.

It's a good sized desk, I could fit all of my paints and tools on it, and the office is very well lit. Very little distractions.

Darn it, my home is too relaxing for painting!

... I got my new wet palette and my new brushes during finals week, and then I'm leaving for most of the month. Of course I really want to paint right now. *facepalm* 

• Like 2

If I have painter's block, I found that sometimes pretending that my miniature painting stuff doesn't even exist and focusing on another hobby for a few days or weeks, can help. Or if I don't feel like painting but don't want to ignore my painting stuff, I'll pick up something dead simple like terrain that I can do fast easy drybrushing on. Since I can make lots of visible progress in a short time, that can work to kick me out of my funk.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Cyradis said:

... I got my new wet palette and my new brushes during finals week, and then I'm leaving for most of the month. Of course I really want to paint right now. *facepalm* 

My urge to start painting again came a week before the final deadline for all my papers and assignments. I was dying, trying to write and research at home...I kept glancing over towards my paints and thinking "I could...just for a little..."

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Baldur8762 said:

My urge to start painting again came a week before the final deadline for all my papers and assignments. I was dying, trying to write and research at home...I kept glancing over towards my paints and thinking "I could...just for a little..."

FREEEEEEEDOOOOOMMMMM

Okay, so I have probably a few hours worth of painting before I need to pack for my road trip. Hopefully I'll have some mojo and not be fried. 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

FREEEEEEEDOOOOOMMMMM

Okay, so I have probably a few hours worth of painting before I need to pack for my road trip. Hopefully I'll have some mojo and not be fried. 

Congratulations on completing your school year! Now PAINT! Paint like this is no tomorrow!

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Well, of course. After all, today is not tomorrow, today is today. Although tomorrow tomorrow will be today.

But that's completely different.

"There" not "this"....sorry, my English has really improved living in the states but on occasion I still make mistakes.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Baldur8762 said:

"There" not "this"....sorry, my English has really improved living in the states but on occasion I still make mistakes.

Sorry, I didn't notice (or note the significance of) the Icelandic flag. I'm not in a position to make fun of anyone else's second (or subsequent) language. (Sometimes my first language is a bit sketchy.)

But I still thought it was funny.

::D:

(I hope you took no offense.)

• Like 3

I'm currently in the middle of a blockage as well. Mostly it's work related stress. The method I'm trying to break out of it now is to see how many I can get off the desk before the new order comes in. Luckily most of what's on the table is only lacking in details so it's possible I might get a few done before I have to leave for work.

• Like 3

On 10-5-2017 at 11:28 PM, Rob Dean said:

There's always a travel paint kit...

I have thought about that, but painting during my break, I think it would not be ok.

Military environment, I'm a Warrant Officer, I just KNOW some officers would frown upon the NCO painting toys...

Alas....I have to take such things into consideration.

• Like 1