• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/11/2017 at 1:29 PM, Baldur8762 said:

"There" not "this"....sorry, my English has really improved living in the states but on occasion I still make mistakes.

Oh dear, I'm very thick.  It hadn't even occurred to me that you were a non-native speaker, despite all the visual clues you've given.

At any rate, your English is generally excellent.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Pingo said:

Oh dear, I'm very thick.  It hadn't even occurred to me that you were a non-native speaker, despite all the visual clues you've given.

Agreed. Baldur, you language skills are great :)

I know native speakers with much more trouble! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pingo said:

4 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Agreed. Baldur, you language skills are great :)

I know native speakers with much more trouble! 

Thank you, but that is only because it is written. My first year of graduate school has forced me to master written English quickly.  Multiple 50+ page papers in less than a year will do that to you. :blink:  It still probably takes me longer to write a post than a native speaker.  Also, in spoke conversation, I can still sound like a jabbering idiot, but usually it's because I have not yet learned all the unique colloquialisms. 

• Like 7

A physics professor I was talking to once vented his frustration at poorly written published articles. He handed me a journal and told me to open any random page and look. Within three sentences of my randomly selected start point, I found awful writing errors. Other journals are better at least, and I find geology stuff more likely legible. My perspective may be skewed by that experience though. 

Also, I am so glad that my courses don't tend to want 50+ pagers O.o Mega kudos to you!

To bring this back on topic, one thing that I do to combat painters block is to look at different paint jobs to spark inspiration. Certainly, this will mean looking at master level painters work at times, but also looking at the great work that's done here by my peers is helpful, even if it's just a tabletop level paintjob because I find that creativity inspires creativity. It may be the figure they painted or a technique they used or the paint scheme or just a single colour that they used... it can even be just seeing painting have been accomplished that can cause a spark.

Another thing that I'll do is brainstorm painting projects, so maybe I'll think about a diorama that I could do and then I'll get really detailed about it, looking at possible figures for it and the paint schemes I might use. That tends to get me excited about painting a thing.... although, it can honestly backfire just a little bit if what I'm trying to psyche myself up to paint is something that I need for a deadline and I instead inspire myself to paint that other project instead of the thing that I really need to be painting.

But that brings me to working through losing motivation while I'm in the act of painting a figure. Maybe I'm frustrated because something's not turning out the way I wanted it to or I'm finding some of the details tedious or I've just lost interest in the figure or painting in general for whatever reason, I keep another figure at hand that requires less thought and concentration to paint. So, it'll be something that I'm just slapping primer or brown liner on, or maybe a basecoat or two. It's usually a Bones figure that I like enough to want to paint it, but don't feel like I have to put any kind of pressure on myself to do a really good paint job on it.

So, if I keep messing up a figure's eyes to the point that I just want to give up, I'll put that figure down, and instead slop a basecoat on my "just for fun" figure and I've found that calming enough that then I can switch back with renewed motivation for the "important" figure.

• Like 8