Sign in to follow this  
RustyRanger

Herryk, dwarf cleric (77220)

Hey all,

So this is my 'second' attempt at a miniature. My first was those couple gretchins I painted up. This is a bones miniature, Herryk the dwarf cleric. I tried taking the advice given in my other topic about brighter highlights, so I tried going with some contrast in the beard and face. I think it looks a bit lighter/darker in person than it does in the pictures. I'm not feeling great about the cloak, I was going for darker recesses and lighter raised areas but it didn't really turn out. Overall, though I feel good about it.

Any feedback is welcome!

Oh, and I do plan to give it a proper base, just don't have the materials on hand.

post-14526-0-56731800-1442898913_thumb.jpg

post-14526-0-20724100-1442898936_thumb.jpg

post-14526-0-95332300-1442898943_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

As a "second attempt" this is not bad. As for your concerns on the cloak highlights, let them blend together and avoid definitive lines of highlight seperation. Use all of your colors at the same time for the cloak, let them bleed and use dry brushing (dip in paint and use a piece of paper to wipe most of the paint off brush then graze across the raised edges for highlighting) works pretty well for this.

• Like 1

Looking good, face and beard are great. With the cloak try and go for smoother transitions from light to dark, blend the paints a bit more and get some transitional layers in there, I wouldn't dry brush an area that's as large and textureless as a cloak personally. At least that's how I'd do it (not that I have much experience either XD).

• Like 1

Looks pretty good. Eyes are good.

Most people can't paint eyes that soon..

Blending the shadows and highlights is indeed a trick you could use.

That way they wont come off too harsh.

Look at blending, wetblending and layering in the forum and on youtube..

But I must say, you did a pretty good job there.

One thing though, pick an old brush for drybrushing, cause this will ruin your brush.

I keep a few around just for that. I marked them so i won make the mistake of ruining a good brush.

Keep painting and posting. You will improve with every mini.

Edited by Xherman1964
  • Like 1

Looks excellent.  I hadn't even heard of highlighting by my....23rd mini or so...except the odd dry-brushing.  You've got the idea though, and good brush control.  Just work on either layering or blending your highlights now and basing, and you're set.

• Like 1