Sign in to follow this  
Arikiel

Giant's mass to CR ratio

I was lining up my larger humanoids in a row and made an observation, relating to the  new larger giants coming out (in Bones 3), mass, and CR (using 3.x D&D/Pathfinder rules). So I thought I'd share my thoughts. :)

It seems that for basic humanoids (without regeneration or other fancy rules that boost up their CR beyond their base mass) there's generally a fairly even progression. Which is there's a +1 to CR for every 5mm of mini height (1ft in game) beyond the base 28mm (5'7") mini size.

Based off CR added to any class levels.

+0 CR â‰ˆ 30mm (6ft.) Standard size for human mini

+1 CR â‰ˆ 35mm (7ft.) "Advanced" template Orc Boss (77064).

+2 CR â‰ˆ 40mm (8ft.) Bugbears (77015).

+3 CR â‰ˆ 45mm (9ft.) Ogres (77105). I'm assuming the Bones 3 Ogres will be about the same size.

+5 CR â‰ˆ 55mm (11ft.) Giant-kin (Bones 1 Fire/Frost Giants).

+7 CR â‰ˆ 65mm (13 ft.) Hill Giants (77313).

+8 CR â‰ˆ 70mm (14 ft.) Stone Giants (77336). Ya they're a bit lightly built but it roughly works.

+9 CR â‰ˆ 75mm (15 ft.) Frost Giants (Bones 3). This seems to be about how tall they'll be.

+10 CR â‰ˆ 75mm* (15 ft.) Fire Giants (Bones 3). *As they're so wide they're a bit shorter they otherwise would be.

So what do you think? If there's any merit to my line of thinking I hope we see some 85mm Cloud Giants (CR 11) and 95mm Storm Giants (CR 13) some time in the future. Bones 4?

Edited by Arikiel
  • Like 3

I like your theory, but CR is driven by the game designers, so it's hard to predict how the mini will affect it. It seems like a pretty reasonable rule of thumb for your game.

(Interestingly, a 70mm Stone Giant should be about 8x the mass of that 35mm Orc, and happens to also have 8x the CR. Sure, you might call it coincidence, but I say it implies that a 140mm giant should be about CR 64.  :upside: )

• Like 1

I like your theory, but CR is driven by the game designers, so it's hard to predict how the mini will affect it. It seems like a pretty reasonable rule of thumb for your game.

(Interestingly, a 70mm Stone Giant should be about 8x the mass of that 35mm Orc, and happens to also have 8x the CR. Sure, you might call it coincidence, but I say it implies that a 140mm giant should be about CR 64.   :upside: )

Oh! I hadn't noticed that. As you point out that wouldn't really work at the higher levels but it is a fun coincidence.  ^_^

I just thought it was fun that there was something of an even/scaled advancement. I can hardly wait to receive the new giants to get an actual view of them. Mostly I was considering this to decide what I could field my smaller Bones 1 "Frost Giants" as. Looks like I'll just use stats something comparable to a Cyclops or Ettin and call them "Giant-kin".

I also like how the Trolls I have (CR 4-6) are Ogre sized (CR 3) because it makes sense that their CR would be higher then their base mass because of the regeneration and all that jazz.

Edited by Arikiel