Sign in to follow this  
knarthex

House Tabletop Opens "The Gameroom" Come on in and talk Gaming and Paint!

Great looking set up!  Are those green and purple portals(?) actually illuminated from within?

10 hours ago, Talae said:

https://twitter.com/AaronOnTheTable/status/1214013894491947009?s=20

There is a link to some pics from our game today.

Here is a sample:

02F27EC3-660C-47F7-83D8-CF619F31857B.thumb.jpeg.737b49f1543994715940ea3542b8761c.jpeg

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

Great looking set up!  Are those green and purple portals(?) actually illuminated from within?

Yes...well kind of. I put an LED ice cavern piece from Dwarven Forge behind the portal and had it alternating between a few colors.

Thanks for the kudos!

• Like 5

I won a game of Warhammer 40000 for a change. A 2 V 2 game. My admech with a friend's space wolves vs two marine armies, crimson fists and blood ravens. We baited the enemy into trying to rush my big guns then sprung out the wolves when they got close. 

Also got me to work on painting the admech that I've been putting off for most of a year. 

20200119_152233.jpg

• Like 10

Glad to see somebody is playing something...I missed my game club meeting on Friday while feeling under the weather, and I’m needing some inspiration. :poke:

• Like 1

I'm having fun debating about whether or not to stick with the idea of a 4x4' table, or somehow work towards squeezing a 4.5x6' (or even just 4x6') into that same space.  Second option would give for a much nicer HeroScape/Open WarHex BattleTech table though (1.75" hexes instead of 1.25"). 

Also can't decide if standard table height would be better, a tad higher (say 34-36" or so), or bar counter height. 

Hubby has been mentioning lately he's looking forward to a few more board games, but out current setup definitely doesn't work (two Lack coffee tables against each other) due to being way too low. 

Edit: 4x6' would also provide a nice board for Warhammer/40k (not that I play those anymore, but I keep being tempted), CAV, and also DropZone Commander and DropFleet Commander... Tough call.. 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 3

I would be leery of going too high on a table, someday you might have a kid or short player that it would be very inconvenient for.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I'm having fun debating about whether or not to stick with the idea of a 4x4' table, or somehow work towards squeezing a 4.5x6' (or even just 4x6') into that same space.  Second option would give for a much nicer HeroScape/Open WarHex BattleTech table though (1.75" hexes instead of 1.25"). 

Also can't decide if standard table height would be better, a tad higher (say 34-36" or so), or bar counter height. 

Hubby has been mentioning lately he's looking forward to a few more board games, but out current setup definitely doesn't work (two Lack coffee tables against each other) due to being way too low. 

Edit: 4x6' would also provide a nice board for Warhammer/40k (not that I play those anymore, but I keep being tempted), CAV, and also DropZone Commander and DropFleet Commander... Tough call.. 

If you can squeeze in the extra, I'd go 4.5*6. Having that little bit of extra space for things like rule books, drinks, ect. helps when you're using 4*6 to play on. 

And generally I like a taller table, as I like to stand at the table. You can always describe what's happening for the short people, or get them boxes for them to stand on. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Corsair said:

I would be leery of going too high on a table, someday you might have a kid or short player that it would be very inconvenient for.

If I were getting/building a table now, I might consider building one off of a powered standing desk.  We have desks like that at the office. Touch of a button you can raise or lower them. Legs are steel with wide supports.  Ours are probably about 3x6 (no tape measure here). No idea how much they cost though.  A quick google shows you can get the bases for a couple hundred bucks or so, then add a top.

• Like 4

My first two tables were tall barstool types, and I found everyone often ends up standing; and then everyone ends up tripping over the barstool legs.  As I've gotten older I much prefer sitting at the table, so now my table is regular table height.

Also, my first two tables were permanent fixtures, built from lumber.  I have since become an advocate of cheap folding tables from Walmart.  With four 2.5'x 6' tables I can create many different sizes and arrangements by sliding them around and/or breaking one or two of them down.   Unless you want your table to be a showpiece and/or a true piece of furniture, I'd recommend considering a couple cheap folding table that you can put up or take down as needed.  It would also be a relatively inexpensive way to see how you liked that height of table before investing in something more substantial. 

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 6

So I have a couple of those 4x2 table with the three position legs. Coffee table height, desk height and standing height.  I usually just arrange them in the configuration I want and then throw a board hardboard topper on them (4x4 right now.)  That way I don't have th dwam running down the middle.  The table fold up and fit under the couch and the the topper slides behind the desk.  A while back Awesome Wife suggested getting one of those gaming tables with the covers over the playing surface to replace our dinning room table.  They are on the pricey side (to me at least) so I'm wondering how much a pain in the but it would be for me to build something similar.  I have most of the wood working tools needed, just not the space to leave them set up.  I would have to wait for warmer, dryer weather.

• Like 6

I kind of like a little shorter than bar height. bar height just ends up a little too tall for some players to reach stuff that's near the middle of the table

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

A while back Awesome Wife suggested getting one of those gaming tables with the covers over the playing surface to replace our dinning room table.  They are on the pricey side (to me at least) so I'm wondering how much a pain in the but it would be for me to build something similar. 

I love mine, but it would take ME into my next life or two to build something like that.  I’ve seen blog posts, though, by people who have, using a Geek Chic design that’s out there.  If you can do it and time is easier to find than money, go for it...

Most recent picture back upthread aways:

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/64666-house-tabletop-opens-the-gameroom-come-on-in-and-talk-gaming-and-paint/&do=findComment&comment=1899799

Edited by Rob Dean
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Corsair said:

Won't be any kids in our place, I can pretty much guarantee that... ::P:

As for a short player... Odds of anyone other than hubby and I would be less than likely, at least at this time.  Now, if we had our own house... Yeah, I can definitely see the point of paying attention to others ^_^

11 hours ago, Crowley said:

If you can squeeze in the extra, I'd go 4.5*6. Having that little bit of extra space for things like rule books, drinks, ect. helps when you're using 4*6 to play on. 

And generally I like a taller table, as I like to stand at the table. You can always describe what's happening for the short people, or get them boxes for them to stand on. 

Hmm, I'll have to keep that in mind, then proxy something to ensure that a) it'll fit our place and not interfere with various plans, and b) hubby can reach the center easily. 

11 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

My first two tables were tall barstool types, and I found everyone often ends up standing; and then everyone ends up tripping over the barstool legs.  As I've gotten older I much prefer sitting at the table, so now my table is regular table height.

Yeah, we've been considering the abr stool thing, but I'm worried about that same exact problem... 

11 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

Also, my first two tables were permanent fixtures, built from lumber.  I have since become an advocate of cheap folding tables from Walmart.  With four 2.5'x 6' tables I can create many different sizes and arrangements by sliding them around and/or breaking one or two of them down.   Unless you want your table to be a showpiece and/or a true piece of furniture, I'd recommend considering a couple cheap folding table that you can put up or take down as needed.  It would also be a relatively inexpensive way to see how you liked that height of table before investing in something more substantial. 

My main issue with folding tables is that, well, they don't really look all that pretty.  Functional, especially with a topper, but definitely not the prettiest things around.  Showpiece is tempting, but I suspect something being relatively solid is more the preference. 

• Like 1

Played the opening game of our 2020 “This is Not a Test” campaign today and did the “Cold Vengeance” scenario from the rule book. We had 7 players in attendance and used a 5’x7’ table.  No problem breaking the uneasy peace that the scenario dictates, as the first warband to activate took the -2 penalty and fired on their neighbor!  Lots of carnage, and my Wizard of Oz Raider band was able to make out with only 3 folks standing. Two got banged up, and my Depend-o-bot (Tin Man) was fried dead by my neighbor’s Zinger.  Coincidently, when searching the wastes post-game, my neighbor drew the card that was “Find a deactivated Depend-o-bot” and reactivate it; so we figured he just had retrieved mine after “killing” it.  My big score was from the Lion, who braved the depths of a Porta-pot to successfully recover 50BS worth of jewelry!

8F5DAF80-72F1-4DD1-A949-D0BF1008697A.jpeg

50177734-16AA-43CB-A72D-D0B04A862925.jpeg

FD100C94-1754-4339-B61E-31BE35314132.jpeg

29C47C62-F536-420C-81BF-A7F24869C5DE.jpeg

• Like 11

My son and I both managed to make it to Chris’s game on Saturday. We usually have lunch afterward, and this week he wanted to try DBA 3.0, so we took over a table at Panera. I’m sure the Egyptian/Hittite chariot battle bemused the crew, but they didn’t run us off...

CB8AC9CB-1D7E-49C1-A722-155852AC8ED6.thumb.jpeg.b2742e5635f5595da8d6308f15944623.jpeg

• Like 6