Sign in to follow this  
knarthex

House Tabletop Opens "The Gameroom" Come on in and talk Gaming and Paint!

2 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

Last Saturday I played a solo game using the upcoming "Wars of Ozz" rules and figures, and have posted a battle report on my blog.  This is a project Old Glory/Blue Moon is developing with plans to do a Kickstarter this Spring, and I was fortunate enough to be part of the playtest and demo game team.    The game is going to a be mass battle game, and is set in a fun post-apocalyptic Oz-based world, with Munchkin, Winkie, Quadling, and Giliken forces (along with many interesting and odd allies).

To read my battle report see: Wars of Ozz Solo Game

fullsizeoutput_6085.jpeg

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

What are those awesome pumpkins from??

They are one of the ally forces from the upcoming "Wars of Ozz" range.  They are called the "Great Pumpkin Heads".  There will also be "Lesser Pumpkin Heads".

fullsizeoutput_52ea.jpeg

IMG_4285.jpg

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

I was admiring the Big Pumpkin Folk on L.A.F.. They really are quite SPECTACULAR...a WONDERFUL LOOKING game as well.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, malefactus said:

I was admiring the Big Pumpkin Folk on L.A.F.. They really are quite SPECTACULAR...a WONDERFUL LOOKING game as well.

Thank you for your kind words, @malefactus!

• Like 3

0DD51BC6-498F-4BA5-BCB2-0A71521C3AD1.thumb.jpeg.cb4442a726abce3355167b120989b2a3.jpeg

The battlefield is quiet now, but the rattle of the drum and the sound of the fife can be heard away in the distance...

• Like 8

A13ABF9C-0617-42CC-8846-3ACD81682454.thumb.jpeg.c67cbef25f16309fdffc61b43f6005d1.jpeg

I hope to blog a full battle report tomorrow, but we had a 40mm 18th century game using A Gentleman’s War today over video chat. Like a good host,

I arranged to lose this one too. :blink:

• Like 9

I too love your reports. They bring back memories of my first war games. Like yours they were 18 th Century affairs, but we used for the most part heavily converted Britains Ltd with some MIgnots units for the more affluent Guys. Those were the days.

• Like 4

Mignots have always been too rich for my blood. ::D:  Frugality originally led me to home casting, though once I had done it for a while, I have come to love the old school large figure aesthetic for itself.  

I don’t recall if I ever told the story of this project here (probably), but I got the first of these molds around the time my older son was born, thinking that one day we would play games together with the figures.  About five years after that, Chris Palmer got interested in the project, and started casting his own army.  That triggered the Not Quite Seven Years War, and it’s ben going ever since (~24 years at this point).  In due time, both of my sons started helping me with the casting, painted figures, and developed their own sections of the lore of Not Quite Germany.  So, I am happy to say that, while it took a little longer to get rolling that I had hoped in 1991, this did eventually develop into just the sort of father-son thing that I had hoped for.  

While they are both at some distance these days, both of them have played within the past year (and so has Chris):

On 5/27/2019 at 5:56 PM, Rob Dean said:

2492527B-0200-48E4-93D0-55CE0CBC2518.thumb.jpeg.75891dc7d4c2459b32494f7b2e756818.jpeg

My older son was up for the weekend for a baking binge, but we found time to open the gaming table and lay out a quick 18th century game of Howard Whitehouse’s A Gentleman’s War using our imagi-nations 40mm troops this morning.

Here’s one closer shot, of my troops attacking toward the angled walls by the orchard:

534507CF-E113-4B42-AE2D-77106A2801C9.thumb.jpeg.2af7ab12fc89e7c08f176fd800084e40.jpeg

I hope to get a write-up on my blog sometime relatively soon.

On 7/1/2019 at 7:13 PM, Rob Dean said:

My younger son is in town for the wedding of his brother this weekend, and we brought out the 40mm imagi-nations for a pair of games today so that he could command his own troops for the first time in a while. 

E8CE76E7-385C-46D2-AF80-343BF72527BC.thumb.jpeg.e4582e0eafcaecd8f4e8647e3b178403.jpeg

In the first game (rules: A Gentleman’s War) some random choices left me with a very difficult attack. Since reaching the point where I had to break off didn’t

take long, we reset and played again.

5930A45F-B7AC-44FF-98BC-F39E9D7CC73E.thumb.jpeg.02ba0130a675a81aa55ad74a122ff558.jpeg

In the second game, the League forces were attempting to break a a siege, and the defending Allies were scattered investing the city and needed time to concentrate. 

I tried to push my attack quickly and came much closer, but eventually still ran out of troops before taking the objectives. 

Nevertheless, a good day overall...

On 8/12/2019 at 8:27 PM, Rob Dean said:

D38A7BD9-FE93-4319-B549-27F8B56F3DAE.thumb.jpeg.efb7c951a41b8ad47c4e8037e2f5caaf.jpeg

Chris Palmer and I got together for a couple of games of 40mm 18th century  imaginary countries with our

combined collections. 

Edited by Rob Dean
  • Like 7

Just checked my blog, and the oldest photos of the Not Quite Seven Years War project I have there are from this game we fought in 2012.  For me,  these huge battles with several hundred figures on the table are really special, and some of my best gaming memories.  

I even wore my fancy general's hat for this one! :lol:

fullsizeoutput_60e1.jpeg

Rob ( in blue shirt, with his youngest son in green) 

fullsizeoutput_60e4.jpeg

And over the weekend I too took part in a long distance battle, FaceTiming with a friend to do another playtest of the "Wars of Ozz" rules.  The table was at his house, and I ran my troops from my laptop screen. My first time playing like this, and an enjoyable experience.  We hope to do it again soon.

92997996_555355555108444_8870456154690420736_n.jpg

92829615_3081043825292751_4858595094044868608_n.jpg

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 8

I don’t think we’re done with putting on huge games, but I have to say that the AGW rules give a pretty good big battle feel in a smaller footprint, which is handy in this house, where even my previous modest 5x6 table doesn’t really fit. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

I don’t think we’re done with putting on huge games, but I have to say that the AGW rules give a pretty good big battle feel in a smaller footprint, which is handy in this house, where even my previous modest 5x6 table doesn’t really fit. 

Agreed, AGW does give a good “big battle” feel.  But the visual appeal of a big multi-player Charge! game does stir this gamers soul. ::):

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 2

ACW = American Civil War

AGW = ?____________________________________?  in a tabletop games context I don't know that one.

( In a context long, long, ago and far, far, away AGW stood for Advanced Graphics Workstations. )

5 minutes ago, TGP said:

ACW = American Civil War

AGW = ?____________________________________?  in a tabletop games context I don't know that one.

( In a context long, long, ago and far, far, away AGW stood for Advanced Graphics Workstations. )

A Gentleman's War. It's the ruleset they're using.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3