Sign in to follow this  
knarthex

House Tabletop Opens "The Gameroom" Come on in and talk Gaming and Paint!

1 minute ago, Bruunwald said:

A Gentleman's War. It's the ruleset they're using.

I figured the W was for War.

We did another long-distance game of "Wars of Ozz" last Saturday, this time using Discord.  My friend Buck acted as gamemaster and another friend, Greg, and I were the players.  This game was a Winkie-Gilliken alliance against my Quadling force.  It was a tense seesaw battle with the Winkie-Gillikens coming out on top.  I've posted a report on my blog for this who want to read more:  "Wars of Ozz" Battle Report

fullsizeoutput_6147.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6159.jpeg

• Like 5

9E2BD0FD-90C6-474F-B926-E0462567535D.thumb.jpeg.726cdc9c43b4adeea6b091e324897a58.jpeg

It was remote game Sunday, as has become customary.  My brother, represented by the iPad clamped to the photographic tripod, joined me for a game of Burrows and Badgers.  Last year for Gencon activities I built three warbands, and one of them seems to have balance issues, so I took that one.  My brother, of course, was constrained to take one of my other two bands, since he hadn’t had the foresight to send me one of his. :rolleyes:  (Who knew we’d be restricted to quarters for 40 days and 40 nights...plus....)

Some new scenery got it’s first outing.  The double-sided roads/streams and the woods bases were all received on Thursday.  The Mantic hedges were just painted last week,  and I don’t think the Bones 4 ruined tower doorway has ben on the table before, although I finished it up last fall.

Anyway, the war band of highwaymen led by Reynard the fox once again went down to ignominious defeat, although Reynard did kill two opponents with pistol shots, which was a first, and therefore cause to call it a moral victory. ::D:  Besides, I had the defender in the “ambush” scenario, so clearly the dice were stacked against me from the beginning. ::P:

As always, Michael Lovejoy’s Oathsworn figures were a delight to have on the field.  Perhaps I will be inspired to paint a couple more of them I have currently on my desk...

• Like 2

My remote game of the week for this week was on Saturday for a change.  I was joined by @Chris Palmer for a quick game of Dragon Rampant.  GIven a few options, Chris elected to help me out with my ongoing (ordinarily) solo campaign by resolving a pending battle.  Two basically historical medieval forces (i.e. with no wizards or monsters) represented raiders from “Verdance” probing the defenses of “Darmis”.  My map-level play had generated a scenario from the DR booklet called “The Crystal Gale” involving picking up a bunch of objective tokens scattered across the board.  Based on a recent game with my brother, I suggested to Chris that he might like to take the side with the one cavalry unit in the game.

EE290AE4-A99E-44E9-A3ED-CAA6643CE994.thumb.jpeg.b63f78085da65993f1878cbf17f43e89.jpeg

I set the battlefield up fairly simply, laid out the objective markers in a neutral configuration, and we then randomized the entry point.  Chris’s local defenders arrived on the scene from the bottom of the photo; mine from the top.

Between Chris’s speed advantage and the fact that the activation dice were with him early in the game meant that he was able to jump out and collect the majority of the tokens, so victory would be his unless my side-goals were amazingly successful.

Let’s just get that out of the way...they were not.

EEDF8085-F161-4145-9D4F-34D2396B21F3.thumb.jpeg.a3382aaa37382b891656eeeda7c789b0.jpeg

Chris’s commander and his bodyguard of horsemen were everywhere.  Here, they charge home against one of my bands of bowmen (all figures from the classic Airfix Robin Hood and Sheriff of Nottingham sets, sculpted around 1963 but bought as recasts around the turn of the millenium).  Those guys were tough, passing two unlikely courage checks, but taking heavy losses along the way.

1BB87603-5F95-4C3C-BD84-5C729C492B8B.thumb.jpeg.e645e90fa4acde889d0bc60b89d54a72.jpeg

Then it was the clash of the commanders, as my leader and his unit of dismounted knights tried their luck.  They eventually broke after a bad courage roll, and the loss of the leader took the few surviving archers there along with them.  At that point, it was all over but the mopping up.

Chris asked afterward if it was a satisfactory game. ::D:  Well, my personal sympathies are with the raiders (for some reason), so I was hoping they might win, but it was great to get that battle resolved, so that I can move on to the next pending action before I get back to map moves.  The nice thing about a solo campaign is that the time pressure is all internal; nobody else is being inconvenienced if it takes me a while to get around to the next thing.

As of this week, my record on pandemic remote games is unbroken...I have yet to win a game I have hosted. ::D:

• Like 7

Thank you again for the game, Rob!   It was a fun encounter and I enjoyed  the opportunity to reacquaint myself with the DR rules again.  

Having the cavalry really gave me an unfair advantage in this scenario, and combined with Rob having a couple one-and-done turns at the very start, put him at a big disadvantage early on.  Once my cavalry and first wave of troops were able to snatch up 6 of the 10 tokens, it then forced Rob to come after me so I was able to assume more of a defensive posture.  I was worried when early on one of my heavy foot units ran for the hills after just a couple bow hits, but things stabilized and I was slowly able to grind Rob's forces down.  I think he was also hampered by the terrain, as the bulk of his army was forced to squeeze through the area between the town and woods on the middle left (seen in the photo at the top of his post) to get to me.  A situation made worse by the rules requirement that all units maintain a 3" zone of social distancing. 

Here's my view of the battle:

IMG_4871.jpg

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 5

That looks pretty sharp at your end, at least...As I said yesterday, that’s not a scenario I’d try running at a convention—too many ways for one side to lose too quickly.

• Like 5

This weekend’s (now traditional) remote game was a little historical battle using De Bellis Antiquitatis, which I staged, and my sons fought. Armies were 1/72 scale Bronze Age Libyans and Egyptians.

8FE9713D-4F13-40DA-9E77-443C23AB52A5.jpeg.fb7140fd5bcaa6e805c8982d08b3d10a.jpeg

The iPad tripod mount is turning out to be pretty useful.

E62C3E0B-2561-49FA-847B-2D3E8ED75767.jpeg.88b4f612b357475e3350c225b89e9e32.jpeg

Above is the opening, with Egyptians at the far end and Libyans close...except for an Egyptian amphibious landing force at the lower right.

EF7FB48C-475A-44AC-9F0C-6B9CD7D7B0C5.jpeg.0af4c391b995ffbb196f917dbe70b5f9.jpeg

As usual for DBA, it ended up with a big crash in the middle...the 1/72’s are a little small for remote work, so next week something bigger.

• Like 4

I was remote gaming too this past weekend, participating in another playtest of the "Wars of Ozz" rules.   This time we used Zoom.  Also, we recorded the session, so if you have any interest in seeing two guys play a long distance game for a couple hours, check out the video:  https://youtu.be/jUIIVap_vR8

The game was a meeting engagement between Quadlings and Munchkins.  

97831366_3168545943209205_3720038391027335168_n.jpg

• Like 4

Events apparently overtook me for several weeks, but I was back to remote gaming yesterday.  My older son had proposed that we continue our exploration of the latest edition of DBA (De Bellis Antiquitatis), but we changed up the period and pulled out my Roman and Carthaginian armies for the 2nd Punic War.  According to my gaming logs, these armies hadn’t been on the table since 2012.  Troops are mainly HaT 1/72 scale plastics, with a few stray Airfix figures among the Gauls.

I took the Carthaginians and Norman took the Romans (it’s almost an anagram...).  With the basic DBA game being fouht until one side eliminates four units of the 12 opposing it, there is little opportunity for reserves to get into action.  Nevertheless, our three foot gaming space wasn’t wide enough to deploy more than 10 units in the legal deployment zone, so each side had a couple of units in a second line.

88F822E6-CB0A-4B18-ACE8-0F0A86E9103F.thumb.jpeg.d9cf1c3393b3f65b5d6a6c9280bf70ce.jpeg

The Carthaginians (invading the arable territory of the Romans) are to the left; Romans are to the right.  Naturally, given some choices in units, I picked an elephant, and choose some brittle Gallic warbands with an impetuous charge ability to break the Roman legions if luck was with them...which it was not.  

In the eventual clash of the main battle lines, Norman’s Romans quickly broke my Gauls, and he managed to get a skirmisher unit lined up against my elephant.  

25795B02-F9E2-4587-B5C6-289102880FB5.thumb.jpeg.838cc4807fb125e2e3280499584e3d04.jpeg

While they could never kill it, the elephant gradually pushed the skirmishers further and further back until it was irrelevant to the battle.  Hard fighting on the Roman left flank, shown above, eventually resulted in the destruction of both of the units of Carthaginian citizen spearmen, the second falling to the red-shield Roman allies.  

While it wasn’t the most elaborate battle, it wasn’t a bad way to visit with my son for a while, and it was good to see these figures on the table.

• Like 5