House Tabletop Opens "The Gameroom" Come on in and talk Gaming and Paint!

knarthex

On 11/19/2021 at 6:49 PM, malefactus said:

I pretty well knew my Night Goblins were going to remain unused as long as they stayed in my possession. SO I gave them to my friend Sarah's husband Ben who was a Warhammer player. Ben & his main opponent, Ben, became two of the friends that I left behind in Texas...we are e-mail friends now. All that is leading up to some photos of their recent battle.

What a wonderful brightly colored army that just overflows with character!  Well done; and a wonderful gesture to find them a home where they could do battle.

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Chris Palmer said:

What a wonderful brightly colored army that just overflows with character!  Well done; and a wonderful gesture to find them a home where they could do battle.

Thanks. Chris. I am happy you like the Old Goblin Gang. 

I think that being played with is the inalienable right of all toy soldiers. They seem to look happier now.

• Like 3

This past we, we were having a conversation about solo miniatures games, which reminded me that I had left a battle pending in my occasional solo fantasy wargaming campaign.  So, I decided to set it up.  I had been avoiding it because it looked like a blow-out; one kingdom’s army had advanced into another’s territory, and, due to bad intelligence (as provided by occasional die rolls to assist in decision making along the way), was attempting to attack without realizing that they were outnumbered about 2:3.  But, having been reminded, I thought that I would like to resolve it, so as to clear the way for something more interesting down the line.  

I decided to roll at random for one of the 30 scenarios in Neil Thomas’s One Hour Wargames book, and got scenario 7, “Flank Attack”.  Not only that, but the dice decreed that the larger force was the ambusher.  I thought, “well, that’ll be that”, but then noticed one little peculiarity in the line up.  The smaller force (the King of Darmis and his army) had a Magician unit, and the larger force (the King of Verdance and his army) was led by a Hero (i.e. the King, in this case).  This being a full scale battle, the rules to be used were Hordes of the Things, and a Hero is particularly vulnerable to a Magician.  Hmmm…could be more balanced than it initially appeared, I thought.  I rolled a die to see whether the Verdancers were aware of the presence of the Magician, and they were not, so I set the King up to be boldly leading the flanking force.

9C18F010-2735-4AF8-B5F4-9EDF1266B80D.thumb.jpeg.c079fdc0efddeb95acc503a39d6517e1.jpeg

The Darmish army is on the two hills at the bottom of the picture, facing down the road, and the Verdancers are on the hills by the tower and the edge by the woods, prepared to roll the Darmish up from the left flank.  To make this short, the battle lasted two turns (so two moves by each side).  The attackers rolled up the hill immediately destroying the unit on the left end, and pushing back the remainder.  This brought the King (Hero) within range of the the Magician (Cassara, the Blue Sorceress), and her side got enough activation points each of the two turns to move 1 unit and make one magical attack.  The second try succeeded, and, having lost 4 army points (in the form of the Hero/General) to 2 army points (one stand of bows), this amounted to “more and the commander” and the battle was over. Had the Verdance attack killed a second foot soldier unit on their second turn, it would have been 4 and 4 (i.e. not “more”) and the loss of the general would have been serious but not immediately fatal.  

This made a good solo game; if someone else had come over to play this, I would have felt bad about giving them either side, knowing from experience that it was going to be a pretty random thing as to whether the magic attack would succed.  

B276C2B7-327D-436B-91C8-53630D713EDC.thumb.jpeg.bbf2e7801b300a204144d3c69fbff5e7.jpeg

1B437117-D1E8-4240-87D5-E508E6E60E15.thumb.jpeg.595a91bcba0a17ad9ce2ae2c4b0619e7.jpeg

It took longer to write up the battle report than it did to play the game.

This was the final month of the first year’s campaign season, and now the second year will be getting off to a more interesting start than I had expected, with the King of Verdance captured by the King of Darmis.  (Poictiers, was it, where the English army captured the King of France?)  There were two pitched battle this campaign year, and half a dozen or so tabletop skirmishes fought out.  Curiously, both of the pitched battles were won by the same Darmish sorceress bespelling the enemy general…if this were an RPG, I would foresee intrigues to place her on the throne, in lieu of the very marginally competent king…

There is a project overview on Fantasy General.  The overall campaign map was done quite a while ago.

Edited by Rob Dean
  • Like 8

I drove down to D.C. to visit my older son yesterday.  He’s been diligently painting 1/72 historical Bronze Age armies for DBA lately, so we took some of the new figures out for an extended test drive, with ~10 games of DBA and Hordes of the Things…

7841D32C-AC1A-4631-9B48-4710C15E2DE1.jpeg.5264c5e48b4d12404930e3ed0908baf8.jpeg

AF04B4AB-69A0-486C-A662-9D35E3F06CCD.jpeg.4c45a385f403cdb180aeb92a7efaeb80.jpeg

• Like 8

Yesterday was our monthly Stargrave campaign day:

8990D6B3-8E6B-4BB5-A7B1-3C6EB100F2C7.jpeg.cc502c8e8f40a04ce979c3c7e80a7398.jpeg

We were playing one of the book scenarios, “The Derelict Warship”.  One of the players 3D-printed a bunch of the walls we needed to divide the table into the ship’s compartments.

I had one crewmember killed dead, but I got enough loot off the table to replenish the credit supply and hire a replacement before next month.  I guess it’s a good thing I painted another new one. (I don’t like to recycle the dead figures for a while, if possible).

CFCA40BF-D1D2-4CE9-996D-02A4526C1870.jpeg.c0478823b74f1c6a9458a167e845c1b5.jpeg

Later in the game, I was attempting to concentrate my crew in one compartment, to contest the last loot token possible for me to get. (I did not get it.) Rex, the new grenadier, does not show up as much in his red armor in the actual game context as I thought he might … 

• Like 9

Here are some more shots of yesterday's Stargrave campaign game that Rob talks about in the post above.

My captain throws up a holographs wall (just visible at the top of the photo) in order to give two wounded crewmen cover as they attempt to escape to safety through a doorway.

IMG_4400.jpeg

A general view of the mayhem about halfway through the game.  Note I was diagonally opposite from Rob's location on the table.  so this is almost a 180 degree view of the one Rob posted above.

IMG_4402.jpeg

A view of Rob's crew from the other side of the table, as a Shengrylla pursues several of his crewmen across a section of the ship.

IMG_4405.jpeg

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, Chris Palmer said:

Here are some more shots of yesterday's Stargrave campaign game that Rob talks about in the post above.

IMG_4400.jpeg

IMG_4402.jpeg

IMG_4405.jpeg

In your last pic...we need a couple more pictures of your dog! He looks neat.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Corsair said:

n your last pic...we need a couple more pictures of your dog! He looks neat.

Not sure which figure you are referring to as the dog... You replied before I had a chance to add the captions, so you might be referring to the Shengrylla which is attacking Rob's crew.   It is a Bronze Age Miniatures "White Ape" from their not-Barsoom range.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

played some "one page rules" "grimdark future" today. It was really really good. I played the robot legions, using a bunch of old AT-43 therian models, and fought dark elves, and tao. in both cases I lost on objective points after tabling the other army, because my robots are sloooooow. But I had a really good time and am looking forward to seeing what other goofy lists I can make with all the random minis I have around.

• Like 4