Was looking for things to talk about in the Game Room that was opened, and saw some suspicious boxes that seemed very heavy for their size. They rattled a little when I pulled them out, because they were full of Minis!

My friends and I, (we were 17!) took the train to NYC for:

Empiricon 1 7 /Conspiracy: (July 4-6, 1980) The convention is a combined science fiction/ gaming con. Events will include a Diplomacy tournament, FRP gaming, open gaming, a dealer's room, films, and folksinging. Info: EmpiriCon 1 1 /Conspiracy, POB 682, Church Street Station, New York, NY, 10008. 

(That add was in Space Gamer Magazine, Issue #26!)

Heritage Miniatures put out a couple of boxed mini Games Circa 1980 that had sci-fi space figures in them. They were riding on the Star Wars wave as you will see.

I bought one of the box sets there...

Pics of

The 'Empire'

post-14271-0-87869100-1443232330_thumb.jpg

And their alien hirelings:

post-14271-0-70810000-1443232331_thumb.jpg

The 'Freedom Fighters'

post-14271-0-57531800-1443232332_thumb.jpg

The Mercenaries:

post-14271-0-49300800-1443232333_thumb.jpg

The Bounty Hunters:

post-14271-0-10770300-1443232349_thumb.jpg

All of this was not in one box, I later bought blisters with the Mercs and the Bounty Hunters. 3 per blister.

The rules were on one tri-fold piece of paper...

You can see the 1st and 2nd empire and 1st Freedom Fighter figures had "Laser Swords" that I cut away to Replace with nicer ones made from finishing nails.

Anyone remember these Guys, or what the game was called?

Then there was a box with 41 odd minis, Some I know were grenadier because of this:

post-14271-0-97076200-1443232349_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-84481400-1443232350_thumb.jpg

So here are the rest of the fantasy figs, in the same shape that I found them. Don't know what I am going to do with them....

Comments and thoughts welcome!

ID of the figures even more so!

8)

George

• Like 21

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow.

I used to have the wizard in a skullcap who's on the cover of the box.

I thought the skullcap was too round so I modded him with the metal point of a mechanical pencil to have a conical hat.

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 1

I have a bunch of those Sci-Fi guys. I believe the game/range was called Galacta? Somewhere I have the rules sheet that came with the boxed set stuck in a drawer. I'll see if I can find it tomorrow

YES! Galacta sounds right!

If you can find the rules, please copy them and pm me!

Thanks

8)

George

Edited by knarthex
  • Like 2

I have some of those. Painted. Knight with the flail on the staff is one of them. Though the pic is blurry, I recognized it right off.

Wizard with the Heatmiser hair and the Halfling Thief I recognize. Knight with the axe next to Heatmiser I know I own and is painted.

Kneeling person (female iirc) with circle thing I recall having somewhere at some time.

Are you sure you didn't raid my house? O.o

• Like 2

I have some of those. Painted. Knight with the flail on the staff is one of them. Though the pic is blurry, I recognized it right off.

Wizard with the Heatmiser hair and the Halfling Thief I recognize. Knight with the axe next to Heatmiser I know I own and is painted.

Kneeling person (female iirc) with circle thing I recall having somewhere at some time.

Are you sure you didn't raid my house? O.o

Austin is a bit far away....

Maybe Buglips is down there, we haven't seen him for a while....

8)

George

• Like 2

I can confirm that all of the fantasy figures are Grenadier from the AD&D line also known as the Gold line. Looks like the following boxed sets: 8001 Action Art: Explorers, 2001 Wizards, 2005 Fighting Men and 2013 Adventuring Party. The wizard on the right in the first picture should have two plug in spell effects. One looks like a grasping hand and the other looks like a gorilla/lion head. In the eleventh picture the figure on the right with the quilted armor should have a separate crossbow.

• Like 3

I can confirm that all of the fantasy figures are Grenadier from the AD&D line also known as the Gold line. Looks like the following boxed sets: 8001 Action Art: Explorers, 2001 Wizards, 2005 Fighting Men and 2013 Adventuring Party. The wizard on the right in the first picture should have two plug in spell effects. One looks like a grasping hand and the other looks like a gorilla/lion head. In the eleventh picture the figure on the right with the quilted armor should have a separate crossbow.

Yes, they are in the box, all 3!

Thanks!

George

• Like 3

Wow!  I think it's really amazing how far the industry has come in such a relatively short time.  I know some people love the "old school" minis and I respect that, but I look at modern figures and appreciate how they're leaps and bounds ahead of their predecessors in detail and quality.   ^_^

Old school buyers were too accepting of figs being 5 heads tall, just as modern buyers are too accepting of figures being 5 to 10mm too tall.

• Like 1