• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MInis!!! MOAR MINIS!!!!

Awesome.

Cool archeological find.

*** Class, what we've got here are the first attempts of our ancestors to manufacture miniatures. Crude as you can see, but they worked at the time..Now aren't YOU glad you live today?***

*** But class always remember that just because someting is not the most up to date thing in the world, it can still be used. Remember that a stone headed spear stuck in your heart will kill you just as well as a bolt from the most modern crossbow.***

8)

George

• Like 4

I have a whole bunch of those guys (a couple of sets of the Adventuring Party, some of the Fighting Men... three of the wizard with the upraised staff and the smoke effects, somehow). While I'm super-nostalgic for them all, they don't actually get used (because they are so out of scale with a lot of modern miniatures - it's like there's two races of Men, the super-Dunedain types, and the Lesser Men, or something?)

Still not sure what to do with them all - I mean, some of them I'm going to keep forever, basically (because they are history, Dr. Jones...), but others? I dunno. Maybe send them to the great Bay of Es, or toss some in the Goodwill box - or both. 

• Like 2

I have a whole bunch of those guys (a couple of sets of the Adventuring Party, some of the Fighting Men... three of the wizard with the upraised staff and the smoke effects, somehow). While I'm super-nostalgic for them all, they don't actually get used (because they are so out of scale with a lot of modern miniatures - it's like there's two races of Men, the super-Dunedain types, and the Lesser Men, or something?)

Still not sure what to do with them all - I mean, some of them I'm going to keep forever, basically (because they are history, Dr. Jones...), but others? I dunno. Maybe send them to the great Bay of Es, or toss some in the Goodwill box - or both. 

If you go to Reapercon, you can always trade them in....

8)

George

• Like 2

If you go to Reapercon, you can always trade them in....

8)

George

yeahhh.... (cheerfully ignoring the purple... ::P: )

No, not really - all of those miniatures are dang-near pure lead (as are pretty much all minis made in the 70s and 80s). 

Besides, this is one situation where, in most cases, their melt weight value is actually less (were they meltable) than what they are likely to get in the Bay, even with fees and hassles (or selling some other places, like at the Foot of Dragons, where there is always a hunger for old 25mm minis, and no fees). 

• Like 1

I have a bunch of those Sci-Fi guys. I believe the game/range was called Galacta? Somewhere I have the rules sheet that came with the boxed set stuck in a drawer. I'll see if I can find it tomorrow

YES! Galacta sounds right!

If you can find the rules, please copy them and pm me!

Thanks

8)

George

Well, I'm happy to report I found everything!    To continue the trip down memory lane;...

IMG_5409.JPG

IMG_5411.JPG

IMG_5400.JPG

IMG_5401.JPG

IMG_5405.JPG

IMG_5407.JPG

IMG_5397.JPG

IMG_5414.JPG

I'm happy to report that the "Octopoids" pictured above still have a home in my Wellsian Martian force for my current VSF on Mars armies, and have been used as recently as a couple years ago.

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 3

Not to mention that we modded those rules for the earlier Buck Rogers games with the vintage semi-flat minis, though that was farther back.

Classic Miniatures has the molds for a lot of the old Heritage figures; the Galacta range is available, if you wanted reinforcements.

That's right! I had forgotten about using these as the basis for the Buck Rogers games.

While I like having my old minis, I'm not sure that I need new ones. :)

I sill have the guy on the last picture with the kite shield and the fighter above him kicking someone.  I hadn't seen most of the others.

yeah, im a lot happier with modern sculpts. 

I had always envisioned him as  the guy 'kicking in the door' myself.

I am a lot happier with the modern stuff myself, but I have to admit, many of those figures are better suited to dungeon crawling than most modern stuff.... The profusion of lanterns and torches for example.

Might, someday, try to paint some of them for a  lark....

8)

George

• Like 2

MInis!!! MOAR MINIS!!!!

Awesome.

Cool archeological find.

*** Class, what we've got here are the first attempts of our ancestors to manufacture miniatures. Crude as you can see, but they worked at the time..Now aren't YOU glad you live today?***

*** But class always remember that just because someting is not the most up to date thing in the world, it can still be used. Remember that a stone headed spear stuck in your heart will kill you just as well as a bolt from the most modern crossbow.***

8)

George

Plus, our ancestors have been crafting miniatures since stone tools were in fashion. And making metal soldiers for a few centuries. Methinks somebody might want to do a little research on Little Wars.

• Like 2

MInis!!! MOAR MINIS!!!!

Awesome.

Cool archeological find.

8)

George

Plus, our ancestors have been crafting miniatures since stone tools were in fashion. And making metal soldiers for a few centuries. Methinks somebody might want to do a little research on Little Wars.

There is an article in Dragon #22 about something called Little Wars...

Have to go get issue out to see what it was all about though....

8)

George

• Like 1