My very first mini! (03427 Halbarand)

Thanks! It really is intimidating posting this here considering some of the amazing work I see, but I feel as if this is something that I really can get into. I had an absolute blast painting this, and it is surprisingly therapeutic! Hours seemingly go by like minutes!

• Like 5

Awesome job, especially for a first mini! And well done picking a humanoid for it! I chickened out on my first mini and went with a giant worm!

What's most important right now is for you to keep painting and keep reading up on painting. If you have any questions, don't feel shy about asking them and never, ever feel intimidated around here.... everyone started somewhere and trust me, this community is all about supporting and encouraging each other!

Looks like you already have a good amount of brush control and an understanding off shading and highlighting, so just keep honing that and working on the details.

Edited by Guindyloo
  • Like 1

You did a great job.

Not many first minis look that well.

You might want to take a look at the subform - Painting advice.

And if you look at Youtube and search for painting fantasy miniatures you also get a lot of tips and hints.

Enjoy the hobby.

Post your work. We are all happy to help and give advice / or say crazy things..

All helpful people here.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for all the advice and the kudos! I am addicted right now to watching Youtube videos. Does anyone have any they recommend for humanoids in general?

Search for painting skintones or Armor and such. You will find a lot.

Don't forget the subforum here.

In painting advice you will find recipes for skin, gold, metal etc

• Like 1

What they all said!

Ask questions!

Post your work!

Do a work in progress and post there. That is where I have been able to learn more as other people comment on what I have done, and I can fix things before going on to the next part.

Do go to the Painting Tips & Advice section and look at some of the ongoing threads there.

Another great Resource is the Craft section on the website.

The Bette Davis Eyes thread really helped me get over my absolute Hatred :devil:  of painting eyes.

But most importantly, Have Fun! When it isn't fun, walk away for a while. After capping your paints and cleaning your brushes of course!

Oh yeah, as soon as you can afford to, get some Good Brushes!

There is a thread on this subject here.

8)

George

• Like 2

That is a beautifully painted first mini. And I love your choice, I've painted his other version more than once, I might have to get this one.

May I suggest for your next mini picking one area to try and advance. Like, next time I want to do better cloth, or hair, or metals. Then pick a mini that has a good 'whatever' to practice on. Try some more advanced techniques (I love that you can research these so much now) on that area, and push yourself. Then paint the other stuff and you'll see how much of that improvement transfers to other areas.

• Like 1

great job ... this was a complicated figure for your initial effort: hair, armor, cloth, face, trim, wood, book, etc. ... any one of those could be done with a myriad of techniques (which are easy to pick up)   Trying different techniques and painting different types of figures will quickly up your game.  Have fun.