knarthex

Static Grass, Flock & Tufts- My thoughts on how to use them. Re basing a Ral Partha Displacer Beast.(Pic Heavy)

Static grass is made from the same fiber as many costume wigs. I believe it is largely a modacrylic, specifically Kanekalon.

• Like 3

Static grass is made from the same fiber as many costume wigs. I believe it is largely a modacrylic, specifically Kanekalon.

Thanks Pingo!

Really had no clue what the stuff is made out of, or what makes the stuff work....

Just glad it does!

That sounds like a good name for a villain for some reason..

8)

George

• Like 3

Kanekalon is made by the Kaneka chemical and biopharmaceutical company in Japan. A lot of Kaneka's products have had names like that : Kanevinyl, Kanepearl, Kanelite Foam, etc.

• Like 4

I use a lot of those things.

I would like to point out that there are many options for using every day items for basing.

My Undead bases are usually done with a mix of green sand and different variants of Tea and Herbs.

Very little twigs and pebbles make nice additions too.

Coffee is an option too.

Look at aquarium bits and stuff people use for making flower arrangements. Lots of useful stuff there too and often cheaper then specially made wargame stuff.

Edited by Xherman1964
  • Like 6

Your mix of the different scenicing stuff looks SPLENDID. Sisal fiber twine when ravelled makes nice, tall reedy grass:

DSCN1960.JPG

• Like 12

Your mix of the different scenicing stuff looks SPLENDID. Sisal fiber twine when ravelled makes nice, tall reedy grass:

DSCN1960.JPG

LOL That's an awesome swimming pond..

• Like 3

Great comparison of products, thank you for the time put in on that.  I have some static grass that was bequeathed to me, though I haven't fooled with it much.  Back a bajillion years ago the going thing was coffee grounds to simulate dirt or gravelly bases, which is plenty sufficient for some of the Bloodbowl silliness I've worked on.  Your military guys scenes are amazing!

• Like 3

Just glue it on with pva, and spray varnish or sealer over it.

The fruit kinds have more different stuff in it, and we all can spare a single teabag right?

One day, I will get into basing, and experiment with static grass and flock.

The one thing I have plenty of access of, is genuine fragments of shiny nickel/copper ore from my work place. And by fragments, I can mean chunks weighing several pounds.

• Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By 72moonglum
      Hello again!

here are two more Partha figures I've been working on, two half-elven Rangers sculpted probably by Jeff Grace way back in the nineties.  I'd actually started painting these figures years and years ago, but the eyes turned out horribly wrong on both of them, so I threw them into Pinesol. Recently though, they were sitting on my desk and I got inspired, so started painting them up.  They were pretty simple paint jobs, and once again, because I'm lazy, used the same paint scheme for both of them.  

And here they are together:

• By 72moonglum
      Hello again!

here are the other two that I just finished, two elven fighters that Ran Partha did a while back.  They had a couple neat ideas, one was to have a male and female version of a race and class, and these two are the miniatures that are for the Male and Female Elven Fighters.  Not sure who the sculptor is on these, should probably find out.  

I did them both with more or less identical color schemes, partly in the thought that it's the same adventurer just in a different male or female version and then also because it made my life easier with one color scheme instead of two.

and here they are together:

Anyhows, hope you enjoy!

Mark
    • By 72moonglum
      So I don't know much about Battletech, more of a fantasy guy myself, but I do like these figures which are some Mech Warriors that were sculpted back in the eighties by Bob Charette that Ral Partha just recently re-released.  They have eight per pack with different poses, and I got these first from the Liao Faction/Clan/Family.  Going to eventually get through the whole group and I'll eventually photograph the whole group together, which is why I haven't based them yet.  I've been told these are the pilots for the Mechs and it's very hot in the cockpit, which is why they are pretty scantily clad.

These are eighties Partha, so they are some pretty small  25mm sized figures.  More to come later as I finish them!

Enjoy!
    • By 72moonglum
      Good morning everybody, so here's a figure that's actually been sitting on my paint desk for probably six months I'm guessing.  I got his skin and his white beard done, but afterwards all the colors to add on afterwards were kind of stumping me, so I ended up just leaving him sitting there for months and months.  For some reason though after getting back from a business trip two weeks ago, I took him up again and finished him pretty quickly.  I think it was a combination of color choices and some tight spots to get paint to that were putting me off.  Anyhoos, I got him figured out and finished.  I gave him some pink shoes, just because I wanted to annoy the cosmic color wheel, but when I look at it, his shoes don't even actually bother me that much. So I'm not sure if I was able to accomplish anything in an attempt to violate the holy color wheel or not.

He's a Hackmaster Battle Mage, probably from around 2003 or so, originally sold on the Hackmaster range and acquired a few years back from Iron Wind Metals/Ral Partha.  Nice solid figure, pretty good side and despite my earlier trepidation, a pretty easy paint job to do.

Fronts and back at slightly different angles, couldn't choose the best ones so threw both sets in. 

So anyhow, hope you enjoy!

• By alchemist
      These guys are really tiny, from back in the days when the word "miniature" really meant something.  They are based on 0.5" washers.

• Who's Online   37 Members, 4 Anonymous, 33 Guests (See full list)