Sign in to follow this  
Mattnuke

Super Dungeon Legends

On 4/7/2017 at 9:24 PM, CorallineAlgae said:

If they come out with another kickstarter before they get the rules down for this one I might loose hope. 

Agreed. I don't really care when I get the game, but it would be nice if they calmed down and finished what they have on their slate before starting new projects.

• Like 2

On 4/9/2017 at 10:18 AM, redambrosia said:

Agreed. I don't really care when I get the game, but it would be nice if they calmed down and finished what they have on their slate before starting new projects.

That was my point when I grumbled about Relic Knights.  Oi.

Happily, at least Relic Knights Rail Raiders looks like it'll arrive this year. (sorry, typed in wrong project.)

Edited by John Fiala
Fixed project name.
  • Like 1

They actually posted another update:

We have been hunkering behind our enchanted shields after shooting out a poorly worded and inaccurate update about Legends. So, I thought I would bring you a VERY nitty-gritty detailed update on status, and an open conversation about status, complexity, and delivery. We share your pain with the delayed delivery, but with a SOLID dedication to delivering the best possible product, we must take the opportunity to bring the create a new pillar that will stand the test of time. After internal testing and review of our progress on Legends, it was unanimously agreed that we were chasing the wrong rabbit with the product, and it deserved so much better. We still stand by our commitment to be here week in and week out to discuss and share with you all news as we finish up this product. I (Ninja John) have stepped in for Ninja Deke on Kickstarter communications. As I have been coming online, you have noticed a drop off in engagement from our end. Please be assured, I will be up to snuff in no time, and I thank you for your patience.

Legends overview:

• Legends is a 3 book product, consisting of a robust Hero's Handbook, The Consul Grimoire, and the Explorer's Guide.
  • The Explorers Guide is the background book, its FULL of rich background detailing the races, history, and regions of Crystalia and only needs a little more artwork before we can go to layout.  I am personally working with Ninja Deke on the art guide to finalize that content and assign the additional illustration.
  • The Hero's Handbook is the "Rules" and the players guide to Legends. The primary rules and engine have been rewritten and are done.  It still needs a final pass on the ability lists and the leveling guide.  These will get sorted out during play testing as the math used to balance the process needs to be planned carefully. We are still on track to start play testing this month, as Deke had informed you in previous communications.  You will know as soon as we do!
  • The Consul's Grimoire has 3 primary sections: 2x Campaigns, a HUGE Bestiary, and an Adventure Building Guide.  Campaigns will be written along with play testing, because they are informed by how testing affects the adventures. Bestiary will get more fully filled out once we are happy with the balancing rubric on how they work and interact with each other and the players. Again, super informed by our internal and external testing (Beginning this month). And, Adventure Building is being written side-by-side with the playtest adventures as we speak, and then be polished through the test process.

It's hard to simplify all of that into a number or a percentage - but as testing gets underway, we will be soliciting you for feedback and involvement in the last steps.  Here is a graphic we will be updating weekly to give you an at-a-glance overview of progress. We will likely discuss more minute issues in the updates, and try to leave this a clean visual on progress.  Please ask anything below - we will answer what we have answers for.

As we proceed - there are a few core questions we keep seeing that we need to address.  We will come back and mention them as often as needed to provide clarification, as they are essential to understanding the progress of this campaign, it's fulfillment, and to help cut through confusion and speculation by some of our more passionate backers. 

• Q: In your previous update, you showed the Legends Kickstarter at 0%, why is that?
  • A: Because Ninja John is doofy, and I totally glazed over a portion of our internal update that was described in a follow-on email, and is NOT REFLECTIVE of reality. We are actually significantly farther along in development.
  • Q: Why do you have other Kickstarters nearing completion sooner than Legends?
  • A: Our other campaigns are all projects with varying scope and resources. Some were completely developed before going to Kickstarter, some certainly did not require a reset/redesign of a core element in our exploration of the project, and not any of them, all together, are as complex or requiring as much design and creative contribution as Legends is to complete.
  • Q: Does any of your other business activity, and Kickstarters slow down development of the project I backed?
  • A: NOPE. We have developed channels of production, independent of one another, and managed by different teams, to deliver each program in their entirety.  The work budgeted for each campaign, Legends included, has not drawn more resources from any other campaign, nor been impacted by the work done on other campaigns, as they are unique in their challenges, managed in their asset generation from shared art resources, and championed internally by different managers. Impacts to various projects have come from a variety of reasons, and mostly due to unseen variables in dealing with overseas manufacturing vendors, approval of quality materials and finished goods, reworking key design elements through intense internal scrutiny and testing, and in some cases, personal family, and health reasons that might have pulled one or more of us offline in very serious ways. 
  • Q: Will you stop work on other kickstarters until this one is complete?
  • A: Nope. These are all planned independent of one another, and the completion of one, on scales of complexity and inputs was designed to generate and work themselves out in exclusivity. 
  • Q: I saw something about a 3rd Wave Release for Super Dungeon Legends, what is that?
  • A: That was again, a mistake placement by me (Ninja John). As we have had internal discussion about a possible split of one of the waves to deliver more content to you quicker, because of the delay with the Legends rules. I don't have enough date together yet on the impact of this decision, but would welcome your feedback. 
  • Q: When can backers start to expect to be receiving the first Wave of content?
  • A:  All of Wave 1 is in pre-production right now. We need to approve final miniatures from test molds, and the digital and physical proofs on all submitted designs. I do not have a shipment date on these items today, but we are continuing to follow up on their status

Yeah, comments on this one seem either very critical or thankful that they clarified some things.

I still don't care when they get this out... I'm drowning in unpainted minis right now and I keep getting more!

Hello, my name is Sara and my wallet suffers from figmentia.

• Like 2

Have any of you been following this in the Soda Pop forums? I'm trying to catch up but things have only gotten more confusing. First off, they decided to reduce the 8 core box heroes to 6, so they took the Hexcast Sorcerer out of the 2.0 core game and moved her to The Midnight Tower box. They also took the Druid out of the core box and nobody (including the guy writing the rules) seems sure where he will end up. :blink:

They also split all of the Arcade cards for all monsters to The Midnight Tower and all Classic cards for all monsters to the core 2.0 box. This is baffling. So, retail shoppers who get the core game box will only have cards for Classic mode. They get all the Classic mode cards for the monsters in both the Core game plus The Midnight Tower. In other words, they get Classic mode cards for monsters they don't get, but none of the Arcade mode cards for the monsters they do get.

It's a similar, but reverse situation for people with The Midnight Tower but not the 2.0 Core box. They get all of the Arcade cards for all the monsters, even the ones they don't have, but none of the Classic cards for the monsters they do get in The Midnight Tower.

Soda Pop did say that backers will be getting all the cards and models that they were promised in the campaign, but pulling that off seems complicated. For Core game only backers, Soda will have to add back 2 heroes, plus the Arcade rulebook and Arcade cards for the core game monsters that were removed from the Core game and moved to TMT. Midnight Tower backers who didn't get the core game will need all the Classic cards for their monsters that were moved to the 2.0 box added back. 

There's also confusion about game tiles, which were also switched around. I don't know what's going on with them.

I haven't even mentioned Legends. Two years in and Ninja Division is just starting to figure out what the basic concept will be. 

• Like 3

I really wish they had a mini only pledge. That's all I really want, I don't care about the game. And it seems like the minis were all done a while ago. Now they're just elfing around with their ridiculous game. I can barely read their updates anymore because I stopped paying attention to the rules talk a long time ago.

Seriously, I just want the minis :unsure:

• Like 3

Yes, although I have had good luck with Soda Pop before, it is clear now the Legends was not ready to go Kickstarter.  They are still hashing out rules to this day.

• Like 2

One of the Dakkanauts repeatedly criticized the Soda Pop folks for their SDE rules and revisions, so I'm not surprised at this. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, skippen said:

Still in.  Frustrated, and now my last Soda Pop project.

Me too. Honestly, I just ignore it most of the time. I skim the updates to see if they have anything like a timeline for release, but that's all. It's pretty annoying that what they pitched is sounded like an almost complete game, then it turns out they have all this developement left to do. 

Oh well, whatever. It's not like I don't have enough other minis to paint. Or have even started painting the forgotten king minis. :shrug:

On 8/16/2017 at 3:58 AM, redambrosia said:

Me too. Honestly, I just ignore it most of the time. I skim the updates to see if they have anything like a timeline for release, but that's all. It's pretty annoying that what they pitched is sounded like an almost complete game, then it turns out they have all this developement left to do. 

Oh well, whatever. It's not like I don't have enough other minis to paint. Or have even started painting the forgotten king minis. :shrug:

Yeah, I don't pay much attention other than to make sure there are updates.  I was just shocked on this one as all their others have been pretty smooth.  And I expected this one to be as it was just a expansion to an already released game, but it is clear that they had bigger plans for 2.0 than it was lead to believe.  This was not ready at all for Kickstarter as the rules were not really in Alpha form.  Frustrates me that they have my money, done 3 or so Kickstarters in-between (which I do understand they need to put out product) and there is still really not much of an end in sight.  I wanted to back Relic Knights for the starter kit, but since SDE and Rail Raiders was sitting unpublished then, I wasn't going to hand them any more money till they fufilled that promise.

I can't see me backing their projects after this.  I am stupid.  I bought the first SDE as a preorder at Gen Con, and I still have only played it once, and it wasn't even my copy.

• Like 1