Some third rate asteroids

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

z_asteroids.jpg

The real ones seem to have shallower craters - they almost look like casting bubbles.  But these are several kilometers long, so all the features tend to smooth out.  I think that maybe a layer of texture paste or lightweight spackle might give it a bit more "rockiness" (and cover any irksome tool marks) without adding a lot of weight. 

• Like 4

Space gamers have been mounting lava rocks to posts for asteroids for many 'moons' (several years).

Real asteroids are not as expected based on sci-fi illustration.

The ones you have created resemble Hyperion, one of the moons of Saturn:

hyperion.jpg

• Like 6

They look pretty snazzy to moi...just the thing to add interest to a SciFi Battles In Space game. IMAGINATIVE & VERY WELL DONE!

If you heat your knife blade over a candle for 10 or 15 seconds, you'll have a easier time making your crater cuts.

Edited by malefactus
  • Like 2

@Ironhammer, why do their bases have light grey flocking? or is that a stippled starfield?

Try taking a picture of them on a stark black background and with a single stark light source that is straight above them.  That is: light them like real asteroids are lit and see how that looks compared to the real thing. (...before you say you are not 100% happy..."third rate?")

Like I said before they look like little chunks of Hyperion.

Edited by TGP
  • Like 1

Goodness!  So many kind words!  Thanks everybody!!!  :)  :)

z_asteroids.jpg

The real ones seem to have shallower craters - they almost look like casting bubbles.  But these are several kilometers long, so all the features tend to smooth out.  I think that maybe a layer of texture paste or lightweight spackle might give it a bit more "rockiness" (and cover any irksome tool marks) without adding a lot of weight. 

This is actually what I was trying to go for (which is why I think the effect is a bit off).  I wasn't really sure though how big or jagged I needed to make the craters in order to "sell" the idea if you will, and I wasn't sure if smoother objects would have as much impact on the gaming table.  In the end, I think I overdid it a bit.

Globes of insulation, Xacto-carved craters?  They look pretty wicked to me.  Reminds me of a high level spell effect..

Actually foam spheres from the hobby store, which is why they are all so globular.  Another thing to work on for next time would be to have more irregular shapes.

@Ironhammer, why do their bases have light grey flocking? or is that a stippled starfield?

Try taking a picture of them on a stark black background and with a single stark light source that is straight above them.  That is: light them like real asteroids are lit and see how that looks compared to the real thing. (...before you say you are not 100% happy..."third rate?")

Like I said before they look like little chunks of Hyperion.

Yes, it's a starfield.  The bases are actually recycled from spaceships which have since received upgraded stands better suited for gaming. 

• Like 1