DethStruck

Stripping minis with Simple Green

Thx. Looks good.

So simple green is just liquid green soap right?

No. It's a household cleaner.

Looks like this:

2700000113033.jpg

Pine-sol also works the same as Simple Green.

• Like 2

Simple green is the only thing I use anymore to strip models.  even had some luck with stripping resin models (short soak time, very light scrubbing - they do tend to soften and get a bit brittle after they re-harden, though)

• Like 2

I did use some thicker orange goo (can't remember the name) to strip painted minis, though I can't say it worked any better than Simple Green.

I haven't tried it on resin, but I've used undiluted Simple Green on both metal and plastic miniatures with no ill effect.  Note that the "bathwater" of Simple Green seems to lose its potency as figures have been stripped in it, as a subsequent batch of figures in the same bath seemed to take much longer to achieve the same level of paint-stripping.

There was one batch of figures I picked up on eBay that seemed completely resistant to any kind of paint removal.  Or rather, the paint came off fine, but the primer refused to come off even with prolonged Simple Green baths and vigorous scrubbing.  I have no idea what the previous owner used on his figures, but apparently that stuff was the god-mode of primers!  :blink:

• Like 3

I used Simple Green on my first couple of minis after spraying too much primer on them, got the idea on the forums and at the Bones kickstarter's comments section. Did the 24 hour bit, did a quick shake of the mini in the SG every so often to really get it to work into the paint. 24 hours later, used old toothbrush to clean the mini off, did another soak to get over the little bits left, and voila: perfectly new mini again. I washed in in soap and water afterwards to make sure it was clean of any residue, but it works perfectly.

• Like 1

Thanks for the extra input you all. I haven't worked on any resin models yet so I'll keep that in mind for the future.

The primer on the Prosecutor didn't fully come off either. It was also much harder to scrub due to thin plastic parts.

The primer on the Prosecutor didn't fully come off either. It was also much harder to scrub due to thin plastic parts.

A sonic bath can help get the primer off of thin/delicate parts and recessed areas brushes are not working on.

You can put the solvent (in this case Simple Green) in a glass container and put that container a water filled sonic bath to conserve how much sovent you use and protect the bath from more aggresive solvents.

There was one batch of figures I picked up on eBay that seemed completely resistant to any kind of paint removal. Or rather, the paint came off fine, but the primer refused to come off even with prolonged Simple Green baths and vigorous scrubbing. I have no idea what the previous owner used on his figures, but apparently that stuff was the god-mode of primers! :blink:

People make very strange decisions when painting things so it could be anything.

If people will paint their car with oil based house paint (it does not dry) they will try anything.

These are some of the common possibilities that I thought of.

If they are metal it could be a fired enamel which some companies uses as a final coat to protect metal castings not marketed as miniatures.

Powder Coat is also possible on metal but I don't know how much use it gets on this kind of stuff.

It could also be a epoxy primer which is harder to remove, you need to use a stronger paint stripper than Simple Green that would probably destroy non-metal figures.

• Like 2

I use beading needles to reach into crevices a toothbrush can't. Generally I can lift the paint right out, but the thin needles break easily so gotta be careful.

• Like 1

I use beading needles to reach into crevices a toothbrush can't. Generally I can lift the paint right out, but the thin needles break easily so gotta be careful.

Hand quilting needles are tiny but way tougher than beading needles.

• Like 1

I did use some thicker orange goo (can't remember the name) to strip painted minis, though I can't say it worked any better than Simple Green.

I haven't tried it on resin, but I've used undiluted Simple Green on both metal and plastic miniatures with no ill effect.  Note that the "bathwater" of Simple Green seems to lose its potency as figures have been stripped in it, as a subsequent batch of figures in the same bath seemed to take much longer to achieve the same level of paint-stripping.

There was one batch of figures I picked up on eBay that seemed completely resistant to any kind of paint removal.  Or rather, the paint came off fine, but the primer refused to come off even with prolonged Simple Green baths and vigorous scrubbing.  I have no idea what the previous owner used on his figures, but apparently that stuff was the god-mode of primers!  :blink:

I've also had great difficulty getting primer off of some eBay purchases. I've come to the conclusion based off the age of the minis that it is almost always automobile primer. I actually knew a few people bitd that used to do exactly that as there was no miniature primers.

• Like 2

Just a side note. As of one to two years ago Pine-sol no longer works for stripping minis. The formula was changed removing the pine oil, the actual ingredient that allowed it to strip paint. Walmart here in the U.S. has their own brand that does have pine oil in sufficient amount to still work as a paint stripper. I learned about the issue with Pine-sol after purchasing three new bottles.

• Like 1