Getting to Know Each Other --- October Edition

TGP

Question for Oct 10: What is your 2nd favorite forum on the internet (presuming that Reaper is #1) and what is it about the other one that draws you there?

Hirst Arts, which I rarely remember to check. (I'm easily distracted by shiny objects) It's full of inspiration and has friendly people.
  • Like 2

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question for Oct 10: What is your 2nd favorite forum on the internet (presuming that Reaper is #1) and what is it about the other one that draws you there?

I always hit up the Paizo messageboards every day, until I was invited here. Now, I hardly go to it because I'm too busy keeping track of the 25 Reaper tabs I have open. ::P:

• Like 2

CMON is I guess my second. It was my primary for a long time, as the talents in the forums were very high and very amusing. I still update my long form WIP there, and read once a week.

But... It's mostly posts about the CMON Kickstarter games, which I have to sort thru and skip. Most of the regulars drifted over to WAMP, which I just never seemed to get into. Plus, CMON isn't mobile friendly, which is how I read the forums nowadays. Reaper is, and where my reading resides.

• Like 2

Well, it used to be the D&D forum, but that's going away... :rolleyes:

Back in the usenet days there was alt.basement.graveyard... Only about a dozen people on there at most, but some really intelligent, sarcastic folks to have great discussions with.

There was also a forum on the webcam chat community I was on - until the owners of the site basically just abandoned it and the site disappeared. Some of them I considered real friends - I had people from Canada, England and Australia call me on the phone just cuz they knew I liked the sound of their voices, and up until about three years ago still talked on MSN Messenger to one lady named Bonnie up in Canada...

And there was another forum on a pic-posting site that I used to be a member of, and actually wrote a blog on, but all the people I used to like on that forum who gave it a sense of community disappeared years ago and it's been nothing but arguing elf-hats and trolls for years...

• Like 1

I lurk on a few other forums, all mini related. I really don't have a second favorite; this is the only place I post.

• Like 1

I do Facebook under the name Tom O. Bedlam; a fair number of Reaper folks know me there and vice versa. I have a FB page under my right name, but I only go there once a month or so; only reason I maintain it is for my relatives and coworkers... I also am fond of the Straight Dope Message Boards, under the name Master Wang-Ka.

For some reason, neither social media form liked the names "Doc Bedlam" or "Doctor Bedlam." Go figure.

• Like 1

Hmm... In terms of pure usage both Warseer and Arlong Park (a One Piece fan forum) would count as my 2nd place forums, but I wouldn't consider either of them favourites.

Warseer was the first mini painting/tabletop gaming forum I got into, but it's very Warhammer focused, and that's just not my thing these days. So I don't even look at 95% of the place any more, I just maintain my project blog and check out a handful of other peoples projects.

Arlong Park gets a lot more viewing time, but despite 8 years of membership I've yet to achieve a double digit post count, it's horrifyingly cliquey in there and I never managed to find an opening.

Neither of them is a patch on the Reaper Forums!

• Like 1

BGG is probably my favorite forum on the internet (judging by the amount of time I spend on it). I come mostly from the boardgame playing side of things. I got into painting mostly as a way to make my boardgame pieces look great.

• Like 2

OQ10: hrm...technically Reaper is my #2, as Ars Technica is my #1 (over 11000 posts there, but I've been on Ars since 2003, 10 years before I got on these fora).  Other than that, I occasionally read Board Game Geek or Enworld, but I don't post to either (I started posting my board game collection to BGG, but it's pretty large, and I'm really good at procrastinating).  If you're interested in stalking me on Ars, I'm LordJosh over there as well (as well as Twitter and bookFace).

• Like 1