Getting to Know Each Other --- October Edition

TGP

Question for Oct 10: What is your 2nd favorite forum on the internet (presuming that Reaper is #1) and what is it about the other one that draws you there?

Does Facebook count? I do check that a couple times per day. Add me if you like - if you see a Melissa Powell that has a bunch of friends that are painters, that's probably me. Aside from that there are many painterly FB groups that I am part of that I often enjoy. 

I also occasionally peruse the CMON forums and the OzPainter forums. Both can be great. 

Edit: Apparently I say dumb things late at night while sick. Lol

Edited by MGMPainting
  • Like 1

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It has been a little while since a daily query involved a picture...

IMG_1396x800_zpsafl3p7fp.jpg

That is not my lawn; just one I passed in my travels yesterday.

Question for Oct 11: Have you begun placing Halloweirdness in your front lawn? or is the practice even a thing where you reside?

• Like 4

Question for Oct 10: What is your 2nd favorite forum on the internet (presuming that Reaper is #1) and what is it about the other one that draws you there?

It was enworld, until I didn't make the switch to 5e, then the forum became useless.

Now it is mostly RPG.net  for DM advice for running 13th age and now FATE. 

I forgot the Mturk Forums 

I spend as much time there as I do here, but that is job related. That forum doubled my Turking income, but the atmosphere sometimes verges on the toxic, so I wouldn't say its a favorite forum. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 1

The only forum I post in is Reaper. But I occasionally lurk in Wyrds'Malifaux

• Like 1

The other one is a Dutch news forum. Nothing to do with hobby stuff. I like to keep up with the news and discuss things every now and then,

Although lately I find myself being a bit repulsed by the news ( it tend to become more and more like a reality show). So I visit that forum less and less.

Question for Oct 11: Have you begun placing Halloweirdness in your front lawn? or is the practice even a thing where you reside?

It is not that a big deal ( yet) in the Netherlands. But the four of us will carve a pumpkin this year, ( just bought 4 biggies) and we will probably keep them in our backyard or in the house with a few safe led lights in them.

• Like 3

There are OTHER forums???

::o:

This is not the practice where I live. No matter WHERE I live.

• Like 5

Not yet.

This will be our first Halloween here, so I'm not sure.

• Like 2

I only visit other forums occasionally and never post on them.

I live in an apartment.  :mellow:

But it is a practice. Hubby and I passed by a house with those big blow-up lawn decorations. And my Uncle used to do a thing, "The Halloween House", but it got to be too much for him, especially after dicks began vandalizing it. The best part is that he lives across the street from a cemetery. In the spoiler are some pictures of the wacky stuff he does for halloween, though they're pictures from his business rather than his house.

1384069_599822840058913_1398303226_n.jpg

1385652_605618149479382_672818852_n.jpg?

1379395_10151623109611292_721631566_n.jp

Edited by redambrosia
  • Like 9

We decorate in a low key way. We have a tiny prairie garden out front and I usually put out my anatomical skeleton among the autumn flowers wrapped up in an insanely heavy cape I made for my husband once (A full length full circle black cotton upholstery velvet cape with hood, lined. The thing weighs about twenty pounds and is impervious to all weather.). We do pumpkins too, although I have started using plastic ones since our squirrels like to eat them.

• Like 4

No, and not really. It might be a thing in other parts of town where you can safely leave stuff in your yard but not here. Around here it is "hallelujah night" and kids are tucked safely into a church hall away from the rest of us witches and demon worshipers.

• Like 3

No, and yes. In that order. ::): I keep thinking I'd like to start doing more for Hallowe'en, but that would involve not being lazy and/or having a lot more storage space, so it's probably doomed. ::): But some people do up their lawns... In my neighbourhood it seems to be more likely that the folks doing that are gay couples. My guess is that it's gay couples that wish they had kids but haven't been able to arrange it, because their lawn weirdness is very much geared towards being creepy-fun for little kids rather than being actually creepy. A few other places do a few things, but most of the neighbourhood is immigrants, most of them apparently from places where Hallowe'en either isn't a big deal or just plain doesn't exist. Some of them try to get into the spirit of the thing but their participation is limited to turning on the lights and handing out candy... I'd say maybe half the houses actually do anything. 

I think I'm going to reuse my idea from last year... I've got an LED light strip I was planning to put up in my family room / office, but haven't got to it yet... I'm going to tape it in place at the bottom of the family room window, which is a giant window at the front of the house above the garage, with white curtains directly behind it. Put the LED strip in place, set it to colour cycle mode, and we have a giant colour-cycling bottom-lit window. It's pretty quick but people get awfully excited about it... While I was taking the kids touring around the neighbourhood last year, my wife was authoritatively told by some young teenage girls that our house was the coolest place on the street. ::P: 

• Like 4