Getting to Know Each Other --- October Edition

TGP

To be honest I like Halloween (prob the only holiday I do lIke besides Groundhogs day) but I don't decorate. Around here Halloween has become Freeloader's Night. Where the attire is white face paint, black eyes & a hoodie.

• Like 3

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It has been a little while since a daily query involved a picture...

IMG_1396x800_zpsafl3p7fp.jpg

That is not my lawn; just one I passed in my travels yesterday.

Question for Oct 11: Have you begun placing Halloweirdness in your front lawn? or is the practice even a thing where you reside?

Some people around here decorate for halloween, but I don't. Part of me would like to try some costuming, but I barely pursue my existing hobbies as it is. ::P:

I do usually carve a pumpkin, and I try to get creative there. If I have a brilliant inspiration this year, maybe I'll post it in "show off" at the end of the month. (Or, perhaps in sculpting? :huh: )

• Like 4

Question for Oct 10: What is your 2nd favorite forum on the internet (presuming that Reaper is #1) and what is it about the other one that draws you there?

I have some presence on a few miniatures wargaming forums (Battletech, Spartan Games, Hawk Wargames), but nothing like my posting here. If you see Klarg1 on a gaming or hobby board, it is probably me. (The only reason I use such an otherwise useless handle is that it is usually available for me.)

I vaguely exist on the Paizo and Giant in the Playground forums too, but I doubt if I have posted 20 times to both of them, combined. ::P:

• Like 1

Question for Oct 11: Have you begun placing Halloweirdness in your front lawn? or is the practice even a thing where you reside?

I like Halloween, but I really haven't decorated for it in the past. My daughter is just about to turn 4, though, and she's noticed Halloween this year, so we've done a little bit. There is an electronic haunted house thingamabob about 12" tall with a witch spinning around it when it's on that my MIL gave us. I'm not a huge fan of it, but since my daughter likes it most of the time, it has stayed. I bought a pretty fall wreath to put on the door, and a set of 3 differently sized electronic jack-o-lanterns to put on the porch. Those haven't gone out yet because right after I bought them we had 12 days straight of rain, and then almost had a hurricane head this way (we were supposed to get 8-12" of additional rain in about 48 hours, but instead we got about an inch and it all dumped on South Carolina).

Now, I could put them outside, but I've had enough time to think about it that I remembered that we have a group of teenagers in my neighborhood determined to spend a lot of time in jail. They have literally put up fake road blocks to egg people when they got stuck and got out of their cars, broken into cars, attempted to break into homes, smashed 50+ mailboxes in a night, vandalized over and over the clubhouse, and (the neighborhood all it assumes it's these kids since who else would do this?) pooped in the neighborhood pool over night repeatedly. I'm a little afraid to put these things outside now. This was a nice, pleasant neighborhood until those kids hit this age. Maybe in a few more years...assuming they don't have younger siblings, or that the siblings don't do the same things. I'll be so happy to move...

There are some other houses in the neighborhood that have put out decorations - one house has a fake cemetery with zombies coming out of the ground; others have inflatable halloween things, red or orange or green spotlights, etc. Most, however, have either nothing or a flag, wreath, or some other small things. 

• Like 3

I have no lawn, and yet I must scream.

• Like 1

I have no lawn and even if I did, I wouldn't be decorating it for Halloween.  As a rule, I'm a lazy git and don't decorate the house for any event - not even Xmas!!   :wow:

• Like 2

Question for Oct 12: Is there a game that has gone out of print that you would like to see reissued & produced once again?

I should know the answer to this....... but in the meantime, I will just say that there were a lot of interesting games made by TSR and Avalon hill that I would like again, or ones similar to them. Sure they could be wordy and the rules could be overly complex, but that was part of the fun. I'm glad that games nowadays are easier to learn, but sometimes they can be oversimplified. I personally enjoy games that challenge my brain to figure how things work.

Lol - I'm sooo tempted to mention the "F." word, just for the reactions... ::P:

Hrm... I suppose an updated version of CAR WARS would be fun - at the very least, having all the rules and supplements available compiled into in one or more .pdf's, and the counters available to print would be nice. I also never actually got to play Talislanta...

(I'm not even going to mention GURPS because even a .pdf of the rules would cost $50, lol..)

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 1

However in my city, people are mad over somebody having "too realistic" of a display

In the first couple years of my Uncle's display some people were offended it. The pictures in my last post are extremely mild compared to some of the stuff I've seen him do. Some thought the display was too frightening for kids and some just thought it was gross.

But it became an event. To tour the display he charged admittance of a can of food for the food bank, and let people walk around and look at the display for the week before Halloween.

Of course, then people started being douches about it and vandalizing things, so he doesn't do that anymore :unsure:

Question for Oct 12: Is there a game that has gone out of print that you would like to see reissued & produced once again?

Nope.

• Like 1

Toon. Definitely Toon.

^^^^This, though I managed to snag a copy several years ago and have the PDF format of everything I could find available.

• Like 1

OQ12: I'd like Donald X. Vaccarino's Nefarious to come back into print, the original (which I have) was printed by a company that has since gone out of business, and he's been having a dickens of a time trying to get the rights back to have it printed elsewhere.  I've got a number of friends who love playing the game with me, and I'd like to get it for them as a gift!

• Like 1